Β 

"Dog's breakfast" of locomotives

• RMweb Gold

The B unit certainly has the RS2/3 cab profile. The Century 424/5 units were always quite elegant, in contrast to the 6-axle versions which were just big and brutish. On the latter, ISTR Trains doing a feature on the Monsters of Mingo Junction, mainly b&w pics of these locos. Alco always added value to the loco landscape.

Cajon siding on Cajon pass, with the north track (the one the train is on) in the old single-track configuration. And come to think of it, here's one from 1995 in Mojave, CA:

post-8839-0-87274300-1350759292_thumb.jpg

UP C36-7, UP SD40-2, CNW SD40-2, Santa Fe FP45 (!!!), and another UP SD40-2. I believe this was a few months before the UP-SP-CNW merger, and the power consist is puzzling. I'm pretty sure the train was coal for the cogeneration plant at Trona.

8103664966_35ba69bcde.jpg

CNW Also's sunset at Byron Min 1980 , by Mark LLanuza, on Flickr

Just look at that B unit conversion

Cracking picture Tim!

Sorry to nitpick but the former RS2(BU40) or RS3(BU41) isn't actually a B unit though - it's what the "Cheap & Nothing Wasted" called a road slug, basically prime mover unused, cab windows welded up and pretty much permanently coupled with the two C425's.

Because of the fairly poor track conditions out on the "Alco Line", speeds were quite low and the C425's would have been 'wasting' amps but with the addition of the traction motors in the RS3, those amps were used up and converted into tractive effort!

So it was according to Eric Hirsimaki "The Alco Line", anyway - a great read btw!

That's a former Frisco GP7 in the rear.

Nitpicking over - I just LOVE the C&NW (and it's Alco's!).

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

This guy (SD40-2 ?)

My limited spotting knowledge says you must be right - HTC trucks (3 holes in the frame each side of centre axle), two dynamic brake fans, three radiator fans, extended range dynamics, water sight-level gauge glass - tick. But, as the 1984 Kalmbach video 1st Generation Diesels pointed out - there's no substitute for finding the label! It says SD40-2 above the leading axle!

My limited spotting knowledge says you must be right - HTC trucks (3 holes in the frame each side of centre axle), two dynamic brake fans, three radiator fans, extended range dynamics, water sight-level gauge glass - tick. But, as the 1984 Kalmbach video 1st Generation Diesels pointed out - there's no substitute for finding the label! It says SD40-2 above the leading axle!

Β 

Well spotted. Don't know what CITX is - presumably a lease loco hired in by CP Rail. Had the most amazing tour of the yard with a friend who used to work there. Very interesting but sadly we hit it at lunch-time so they was nothing going over the hump.

CHRIS LEIGH

Β 

It's indeed an SD40-2 - in addition to your spottings the long porches give it away. But Conrail's SD40-2s didn't have HTC trucks...they had Conrail-specified older style Flexicoil trucks with two holes.

Β 

And...don't put complete faith in railroad applied type labels. I've seen a couple of four axle CSX GP40-2s labeled as SD50s or similar foul ups...

Archived