Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

I think buying two of them and a 67 to recreate test runs may have limited appeal... On the other hand it's the only way you can actually run them prototypically without any kit on the front! Next up: Dapol to release 41001 on its own for use with a brake van.

:jester:

JB

HST%20rtc%20loop1%202-73.jpg

• Like 1

Hallo,

I have a BlueGrey Dapol HST set (254) and run it with 2 buffets, 2 firsts and 4 seconds which comparing with the photo on post 349 on the Scottish Region Photos 1980s thread is a very good likeness I am waiting for the BlueGrey TGS so can run a CrossCountry set.

So much for Dapol

Regarding the InterCity and GNER, I run CJM modified superdetailed Farish HST power cars (mounted on his own chassis) and Farish MK3s, where I cut off the buffers inserted BR Lines seating and fixed Eichhorn short shank Arnold style couplngs.

Dapol would never be able to win when it comes to a MK3 Catering vehicle, there are simpy too many variations to make anything viable. I agree with their choice of a buffet which can be applied with the most situations to some degree.

However getting livery application so wrong so many times on so many models in their range is inexcusable and I suggest that reflects the true face of the company

es grüßt trotzdem

pc

• RMweb Gold

I've just read through this thread as I'm trying to source additional Virgin coaches for my HST. The Farish ones are awful compared to Dapol but I'm stuck unless I take the loco hauled ones and cut the buffers off and run the wrong numbers!

Why oh why did Dapol not just make unumbered coaches and supply transfers with different numbers? I much prefer my Dapol HST to my Farish one but I'm getting really annoyed at not being able to complete my train!

I'd also like a rerun of the Neon FGW bookset too.

Edited by scoobyra

Dapol produced both the TFO and TSO in Virgin livery, as well as the buffet which was released more recently and is still in stock at most retailers. That leaves the Virgin HST in the same place as all the other liveries - awaiting the TGS. At least with the Virgin livery, in fairness to Dapol, you can create uniform HST and L/H rakes in matching colours. They even managed to release the buffet with a roof that matched the existing Virgin HST stock, proving that they can get things right if they put a bit of effort into it.

If you're planning to convert Virgin L/H Mk3s to HST trailers then bear in mind that the rooves will need repainting (or swapping over with ones of the correct colour if you can find some), as the L/H coaches in Virgin livery (and the DVT, which is also in the photo) have a much darker roof colour than the HST stock.

My rake is formed of two booksets, a buffet, a TSO and a SO which I've converted as you describe, by lopping off the buffers (still needs renumbering). As you can see it still has the much darker roof. I bought two of the booksets as I wanted a choice of standard or buffer-fitted power cars.

Very irritatingly, as you'll see in the second photo, I've just noticed that the roof of the Virgin DVT is an absolutely perfect match for the roof of the Intercity Swallow L/H stock... Why oh why then was the new IC DVT not done with a roof in this colour???

JB

DB4530F8-AD95-4608-A63C-12609ED2C963_zps

2A070AEA-896E-45A3-9ACE-1A3E9A799309_zps

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for pointing out the different roof colour, I didn't know this! I managed to get the correct TRFB (I think that's the right description) from Warley last year for £15 but I just cannot find any TFO or TSO HST coaches anywhere. I have a couple of Farish ones but they aren't anywhere near as good and are too high!

Thanks for pointing out the different roof colour, I didn't know this! I managed to get the correct TRFB (I think that's the right description) from Warley last year for £15 but I just cannot find any TFO or TSO HST coaches anywhere. I have a couple of Farish ones but they aren't anywhere near as good and are too high!

TFO showing in stock on Osborns Models website

• Like 1

TFO showing in stock on Osborns Models website

It's not. Or maybe it was and someone's bought the last one since you posted, but as the TSO (also sold out) has a note under it from 2009 saying "more stock expected" I suspect both have been out of stock for a long time.

JB

Edited by jivebunny

• RMweb Gold

Hi If you want numbers try railtec transfers - Steve the boss did me a set for the XC rakes and if you note numbers you want then a fairly quick turn round and very light carrier makes for easy application, removal of old numbers dead easy with IPA / switch cleaner and a cotton bud, but have seen neatly removed using a blade as a chisel. a little bit of gloss varnish to restore a good surface and transfers sit really nicely.  

Given how 3 of 5 XC sets based around loco hauled stock it is good to see replication in the model world..

Robert  

• RMweb Premium

Tempted to see if Railtec can do the little pink coach letters on the FGW Dynamic Lines livery, it really annoys me that Dapol went to the trouble of releasing mutiple running numbers for TSOs, but didn't actually change the (significantly more legible) lettering. I think I've got 4 coach 'E' and two 'F's!

Also tempted to sell my TFOs and replace with TSOs with added yellow stripe the right size, standing at Reading earlier I couldn't help but notice how prominent the gap between the yellow stripe and the cantrail stripe is in real life :threaten:

Like this: large-NC-216H.jpg

Not this: large-2P-005-000.JPG

• Like 1

Just another observation on this - the coaches don't have ladders at each end, they are on opposite corners from what I've seen!

Interesting! That's easily remedied I guess.

Sure is, just trying to get them out of the boxes (the ones with yellow foam inserts) sorts out the ladder problem ;-)

• Like 1

The best way is to remove the foam insert complete with the coach from the box and then gently push the coach out of the foam.

That's why the foam has finger holes.. :secret:

HTH

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just looked on Dapols website and there selling off Mk3 Intercity coaches with livery error on one side for £10.

If people aren't to fussed, these seem a great buy?

Offer ends in 19 days!

Thanks, Matt

Edited by matt-b

Thanks for the heads-up. I think the livery error is on both sides, there's no mention on the wesbsite of it being on one side only. It's likely these are old stock returned from suppliers unable to sell them due to the errors.

Something worth noting is that these are ripe for conversion to IC Executive HST stock by simply slicing off the buffers, obviously subject to the usual Dapol livery variation caveats - these will be in the original livery with the brownish roof rather than the newer black roof.

Cheers,

JB

• RMweb Premium

I used some transfers on a couple of these cheap mk3s to change them into ScotRail livery. Nice simple job really, just a pity the coupling boxes on these are at a completely different height to anything else Dapol or Bachmann make for some unfathomable reason.

• 1 month later...

Hardly a big issue if they do, I bought some loco hauled swallow mk3s and filed the buffers off, you wouldn't know they were ever there.

Pleasing that colour issues were picked up prior to release on this occassion. Unlike the Swallow DVT...