Wagon couplings

Hi All,

I have being building 3 Cambrian turbot wagons in the last couple of weeks and wished to glue some Bachmann/Hornby NEM type couplings to the flat area on the outer end of the bogie. Could anybody please advise on the type of glue required to glue the two types of plastic together, as superglue or normal Humbrol glue don't work.

Cheers,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

I have being building 3 Cambrian turbot wagons in the last couple of weeks and wished to glue some Bachmann/Hornby NEM type couplings to the flat area on the outer end of the bogie. Could anybody please advise on the type of glue required to glue the two types of plastic together, as superglue or normal Humbrol glue don't work.

Cheers,

Colin

You could try Plastic Weld in this instance.

I've used various methods to mount NEM couplings on bogies:

1. Make up a channel section from plasticard to the dimensions of an NEM box and fix it to the bogie, depending on the height you might need to add the 4th side to pack it down to the right height.

2. Glue on a NEM box with araldite and strengthen with a wire staple round it and through the bogie.

3. As '2' but drill through the edges of the box and the bogie and secure with fine track pins pushed in and bent over.

Jeremy

Hi,

I think that the couplings are moulded in glass filled nylon, at least that is what I would use if I was making them. Plastic weld is a broad spectrum solvent and works on a variety of plastics but will not touch nylon. To fit the coupling to a flat area on the bogie you will have to make up something approximating to the box provided on RTR stock, cemented around the coupling and locating it this way. IIRC when I last made the moulds for a plastic bogie in 4mm (30 years ago?) I included a square moulding with a pin to fit these couplings to the styrene (HIPS) bogie moulding the plastic pin goes through the hole in the coupling and the box is cemented to the underside to fix the thing firmly to the bogie. Making up something similar from plastkard/plastruct should not be too difficult.

best wishes,

Ian

• 1 month later...

Archived