chaz

Chaz

Seems to me that the office light is a little pinkish - I'm guessing this has more to do with the camera - internet - iPad screen than the bulbs themselves, but the effect is really very good.

As you say, some details within are indicated..

Desk, chairs, stools, clock, filing cabinet, bookshelf? Posters on the walls, coat & hatstand. Looks like PK, microstrip, wire, some downloaded pix from t'internet, and a happy couple of hours...

Much like your sketches before we got sidetracked by Martyn & miniskirts!

Best

Simon

Chaz

Seems to me that the office light is a little pinkish - I'm guessing this has more to do with the camera - internet - iPad screen than the bulbs themselves, but the effect is really very good.

As you say, some details within are indicated..

Desk, chairs, stools, clock, filing cabinet, bookshelf? Posters on the walls, coat & hatstand. Looks like PK, microstrip, wire, some downloaded pix from t'internet, and a happy couple of hours...

Much like your sketches before we got sidetracked by Martyn & miniskirts!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Has anybody else noticed how shows creep up on you? I have a list of stuff to do before Portsmouth, which is this coming Saturday (29th). They divide neatly into repairs which must be done, and extra features which would be nice. Fortunately the former have been dealt with but I look with dismay at the latter - many of which I have little chance of finishing in four days - most of Friday Thursday will be used for arranging everything in neat stacks ready for the van on early Saturday morning.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Chaz

Seems to me that the office light is a little pinkish....

Simon

Not evident when I saw the effect "for real" but the photo certainly looks that way. the likeliest culprit is my digital compact - digital cameras are no more immune from colour bias than colour film - although it may be easier to correct. I refrained from using software to do this as I didn't want to adversely affect the exposure.

Chaz

I spent a very pleasant two or three hours making some some interior details for the goods office.
The first photo shows these ready to fit.

P1040213-2700x407_zps9f6fe5d4.jpg

In the foreground is a desk with paperwork and a few books (rule books, note books & WTTs?). Behind the desk sits a bloke (the foreman?) and next to him an unoccupied swivel chair. At the back is a sink (a kettle and teapot would be a useful addition), a couple of cupboards and a filing cabinet. The sink was made from HIP and the tap from a piece of sprue, curved to shape after heating briefly over a candle flame. The cupboards and filing cabinet were made from thin card  with square section strip-wood glued into the corners with PVA for strength.

P1040212-2700x380_zpscc9eabd7.jpg

The back wall with some details added - a skirting board, a pinboard with various papers pinned up and some coat-hooks with two hanging coats (cut from thin card, laminated to get a modicum of 3D).

Having made all these details I wasn't too sure whether the effort was worth it - being very aware that they would only be seen behind the office windows - however...

P1040214-2700x454_zps6541f5bb.jpg

....once the details were glued in place and the lights on I was really pleased with the effect.

P1040220-2700x427_zpsee272512.jpg

The picture above was taken with the platform canopy back in place, making the lighting stand out a little more in the gloom.

I had thought of the detail work as necessary to lose the empty shell effect which the lights had made rather too obvious. But now I realise that you could also say that the lights are important as they show off the detail work. The truth is that they work together to make much more of of a feature of the office. Up to now I have avoided fitting working lights (the bulbs in the street lights on the bridges are unconnected) as they often give layouts an unfortunate "Christmas tree" look which I dislike. However it has to be admitted that working lights do draw the viewer's attention. Hiding the lights themselves in the top of the office structure seems to have done the trick.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 9

Chaz,

That looks bl**dy amazing, well worth your effort in my opinion. I will pop over and say hello and see for myself on Saturday.

Martyn.

Thanks for the kind comment Martyn, like a lot of these scenic details the sum is greater than the parts.

Do please say hello if you are at the Portsmouth show.

Chaz

• Like 1

Chaz,Super work i like it,A little story of my work,I painted in lovely detail a very scantily dressed lady,stocking tops and all,she looked great,put her behind a frosted glass window in the ladys loo on my station,so when the lights were on ,you would have a glance at her,Well you can not see anything but she is there,and it took me ages,Keep the picture coming it is a nice layout.  Garry

• Like 1

Just looked back at the photo of the desk and noted your comment about the kettle. Reminds me of the back room of my Nan's shop, so you either need a gas hot water geyser on the wall over the sink, or an old white enamel cooker, (or maybe just a gas ring) with the big aluminium (or white enamel again) kettle on it.

I hoped to find photos on google, but haven't had any luck.

You'd need a very dim blue led for the gas flame tho'!!

Best

Simon

Told you that you'd enjoy yourself!

:)

It looks great!

Simon

Oh yes! But then if you don't enjoy making models why would you do it? It would be rather pointless.....

Thanks for your comment.

Chaz

Ah yes, but there's always those moments when you think, "oh this is rather tedious" but you keep on, because the greater scheme of things needs you to push 500 chairs onto rails or whatever, and there are times when the sheer exuberance of making pointlessly tiny details becomes an end in itself!

I did feel that this might well be one of the latter!

Ah yes, but there's always those moments when you think, "oh this is rather tedious" but you keep on, because the greater scheme of things needs you to push 500 chairs onto rails or whatever, and there are times when the sheer exuberance of making pointlessly tiny details becomes an end in itself!

I did feel that this might well be one of the latter!

You mean like hand carving approx' 28,000 setts? - "oh this is rather tedious" indeed! No hint of tedium in making the office interior though, in fact I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't do more.

Just looked back at the photo of the desk and noted your comment about the kettle. Reminds me of the back room of my Nan's shop, so you either need a gas hot water geyser on the wall over the sink, or an old white enamel cooker, (or maybe just a gas ring) with the big aluminium (or white enamel again) kettle on it.

I hoped to find photos on google, but haven't had any luck.

You'd need a very dim blue led for the gas flame tho'!!

Best

Simon

Gas ring? kettle? They would be nice but I think that unless some white metal castings for these surface they will remain at the bottom of a long list of "things it would be nice to add but...."

They might well be also on the list of things nobody would ever notice (like the girlie calendar in the saw mill). No the main reason for all this was that the office should not look empty, but should look like work goes on in there. And, most importantly, it was fun to do. :sungum:

Edited by chaz

Time well spent Chaz you have made a lovely job of it. I didn't think you would see much but the photos suggest it will be visible to the viewers.

Don

Thanks Don. Yes, it is visible to viewers, but would almost certainly have gone unnoticed - but the lights grab attention. That was the point I was making in an earlier posting. The details were done because the lights made it very obvious that the cabin was empty, but once I had put the detail in the lights were necessary to show them off.

I hesitate to mention this (my models are not on the same planet) but aren't there some cottages on the Pendon layout which have beautiful interiors and lighting which draws the attention?

• RMweb Gold

I hesitate to mention this (my models are not on the same planet) but aren't there some cottages on the Pendon layout which have beautiful interiors and lighting which draws the attention?

I don't know about these days when the buldings are set in a large scene. But when as a schoolboy I cycled out to Pendon. Roy England would bring out the buildings (there was no vale scene then) and talk about how he had made them including some rooms with interior detail. We were able to see these close up.

Pendon has a lot of volunteers who tend to do those tasks they are best suited too. I believe Dock Green is mostly your work in all sorts of disciplines.That does make a difference.

Don

I'm looking forward to being part of the Dock Green operating team at the Portsmouth show tomorrow. I suspect I will be limited to switching the lights on and off, a job for which I am well-qualified having when serving as a captain in my regiment been No 2 on the overhead projector for the presentation given to Margaret Thatcher and Chancellor Kohl during their visit to BAOR in 1988 (the visit when Maggie was famously photographed with white scarf on a Mk 1Challenger tank). I shall have a couple of the new Forest Green Hudswell Clarkes with me.

I don't know about these days when the buldings are set in a large scene. But when as a schoolboy I cycled out to Pendon. Roy England would bring out the buildings (there was no vale scene then) and talk about how he had made them including some rooms with interior detail. We were able to see these close up.

Pendon has a lot of volunteers who tend to do those tasks they are best suited too. I believe Dock Green is mostly your work in all sorts of disciplines.That does make a difference.

Don

Something of a privilege for you to "seat at the feet" of Roy England, and I imagine an inspiration.

Of course a lot of Dock Green is my work but I ought to give credit to my friend Peter who built the road bridge that crosses the yard between the canal and the goods platform and also did much of the spadework on ballasting, the cassettes etc.

Chaz

I'm looking forward to being part of the Dock Green operating team at the Portsmouth show tomorrow. I suspect I will be limited to switching the lights on and off, a job for which I am well-qualified having when serving as a captain in my regiment been No 2 on the overhead projector for the presentation given to Margaret Thatcher and Chancellor Kohl during their visit to BAOR in 1988 (the visit when Maggie was famously photographed with white scarf on a Mk 1Challenger tank). I shall have a couple of the new Forest Green Hudswell Clarkes with me.

"I suspect I will be limited to switching the lights on and off"  - dream on Sir, you will expected to do your bit. DG is not that difficult once you have had a brief intro - at the last show in Wimborne a new operator had a 30 minute induction and then made a  very good job of operating for the rest of the day.

"I shall have a couple of the new Forest Green Hudswell Clarkes with me."   I will be interested to see these, although you would understand my preference for apple green. We can perch one of them on the railway bridge over the yard if you wish - rather like we did the Fowler diesel at Telford....

DSCF7965700x525_zpsd3694a0c.jpg

I don't think one can take a turn on duty - no DCC chip (?) and no Dingham couplings, still it can sit on the bridge and look pretty.

Chaz

• Like 1

Dock Green is all stacked neatly ready for Portsmouth tomorrow. We will be loading the van promptly with a view to getting to the show nice and early. I have a new operator to show the ropes to and I also hope to get some photos. The doors open to the public at 10:30.

If you are going to the show do come and say hello.

Chaz

• Like 1

Bloody hell Chaz that's fantastic.

Oh no just noticed you say, to paraphrase "spent 2-3 hours making the office interior"  I might as well try to fry snowballs as make that in 2-3 hours. :scratchhead:

Regards

Hmm. Could have been a bit longer. But stuff like the little cupboards and the desk are very quick to make. Just bits of card cut to size, glued round stripwood (to strengthen corners) with "sticky" PVA and painted with artists acrylics. Everything dries very quickly. The "bloke" is a white metal casting, primed with rattle-can grey and then painted with artists acrylics. The sink is just a little box made from bits of HIP glued together with polystrene cement and, once dry, filed to smooth off and round the edges. It took longer to find a suitable bit of plastic sprue for the tap than it did to make it. The books on the desk were made from card with the "covers" coloured with pens. The coats on the pegs are also card - two or three layers glued with PVA and painted with acrylic.

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest Chaz how robust and reliable do you find the Dingham couplings after a hard day's shunting

Having put off the coupling decision for Pencarrow for a while I'm torn between Dingham and DG.

The benefits of Dingham seems to be that they fit in the 'proper' coupling hook mount and that there's no 'shuffle' required for delayed uncoupling.

Do you make up and fit your Dinghams as per the destructions or have you any little experience tweaks up your sleeve?