chaz

To answer your questions in order 1 of course it will   2  you'd be surprised where the 9Fs turned up!   B)

Invoke Rule Number One, of course. That's how we got away with shunting wagons on a branch line terminus with an ex-works LMS 10000...

I would have liked to have lingered at Dock Green to savour more of the atmosphere, but I was demonstrating further round the hall and didn't really get much of a chance to roam over the weekend. It was nice to chat briefly again, and I hope we can do it again at another show some time. 

Invoke Rule Number One, of course. That's how we got away with shunting wagons on a branch line terminus with an ex-works LMS 10000...

I would have liked to have lingered at Dock Green to savour more of the atmosphere, but I was demonstrating further round the hall and didn't really get much of a chance to roam over the weekend. It was nice to chat briefly again, and I hope we can do it again at another show some time. 

Rule Number One is always in my pocket, ready to be deployed when needed. Having checked through some books it looks like "my" 9F will be 92187, double chimney, BR1F tender, shed plate 34E (New England). Not sure that it matters which BR emblem is on the tender as they were often obliterated by filth on New England locos.

Have a look at my posting on the previous page for details of DG's next 3 shows.

Chaz

Just had a quote from the installer for our new kitchen and it's £3K less than expected. That Lee Marsh 9F is £2850....   SORTED!

We've just done a full house rewire, new kitchen, new bathroom, new laundry and downstairs toilet, carpets, decorate etc etc and every time I cut a deal/saving the domestic goddess decided we could do something else but I did get my modelling workshop out of it all.wired in and double glazed too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

To answer your questions in order 1 not really    2  yes, I think so.

Hang on, that should have read...

To answer your questions in order 1 of course it will   2  you'd be surprised where the 9Fs turned up!   b)

Rule 1!

At some point in the distant future a Bulleid West Country will no doubt appear on Pencarrow. No justification but I love them!

Before the 'N' mogul??

'N' mogul??   I have heard of a Peppercorn K1 Mogul, and the Gresley K2, K3 and K4 Moguls. Even Mr Thompson's solitary K5 Mogul, but an 'N' mogul? Some ghastly south-of-the-river machine I suppose. It definitely doesn't belong in Dock Green Yard, where even cross-London traffic has been sanitised at Ferme Park before being run as a trip freight with a good sensible ex-LNER tank on the front. So lets have no more of this Woolwich Arsenal nonsense. :nono:

Chaz,

Any plans to pick up the J6 build again soon?

Alan.

Sorry - not in the immediate future, no. Probably I will be finishing two other projects that currently lie mouldering quietly in boxes first. One a 2-6-0 and the other an 0-6-2T. Watch this space.

Here's a question - could I justify one of Jim's Connoisseur four-wheeled coaches to run up and down the estate line (the line with the gradient) for the estate workers? I quite fancy a coach in "faded-glory" type livery to be towed by "Susan" or "Christine" as a works special. Would it look OK? There is no platform for it to run to - unless I used the warehouse one. That's not impossible.

Ah, missed the "XL"

You could try this

http://www.esu.eu/support/faq/loksound/loksound-xl-v35/

http://www.esu.eu/fileadmin/img/support/FAQ/DigitalProducts/Decoders/LSXLV35-STL_connecting.jpg

I would connect up sufficient caps in series with the diode and resistor between GND and U+, pretty sure it will work. I have no idea why there appears to be 3 U+ connections. If you check them with a meter to GND you should see the ~ 16V.

Of course, this suggestion given with no hint of either personal experience of doing it on this decoder model, nor any guarantee!

HTH

Simon

Well, that does look straitforward enough - so why did I read that a V3.5 XL was impossible? This might have been on the MERG forum - I used to be a member - and some of those MERG people are seriously expert when it comes to electronics. But U+ and GND would appear to what is needed for the connections. Will need to check that U+ is the rectified supply positive.

Here's a question - could I justify one of Jim's Connoisseur four-wheeled coaches to run up and down the estate line (the line with the gradient) for the estate workers? I quite fancy a coach in "faded-glory" type livery to be towed by "Susan" or "Christine" as a works special. Would it look OK? There is no platform for it to run to - unless I used the warehouse one. That's not impossible.

Well Chaz, I think you can get away with it. The link is to a rather poor photograph of a Paddy train on the Cannock Wood Colliery line on Cannock Chase in South Staffordshire. I know the area well because I was an officer in the Staffordshire Regiment and I'm a trustee of the Staffordshire Regiment Museum just a few miles away in Lichfield.  The photo shows No.8 Harrison, named after William Harrison, a prominent mine-owner in the area. This locomotive was originally built as a 2-4-0 tank engine by the Yorkshire Engine Company for the Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway and named Hope. The line linked collieries in North Wales with Shrewsbury but, despite its name, never reached as far as Stoke-on-Trent and was closed in 1880. Hope was then sold to the East and West Junction Railway, which ran from Fenny Compton to Stratford-on-Avon, via Kineton. The engine was then sold to B.P. Blockley of Bloxwich, a dealer in railway locomotives, who sold it on to Cannock and Rugeley Colliery in 1905. In 1916 the loco was rebuilt as an 0-6-0 and she continued in service until 1955. As an aside, the long and convoluted life stories of many industrial locomotives is one their endearing features.

Here Harrison is shown with the "Paddy Train", the only passenger service to run on the line, and there appears to be no platform. In 1908 the LNWR and the colliery came to an agreement that allowed the colliery to run passenger trains for the miners and other employees. The picture taken in 1953 when the old carriages were still in use. They were a Maryport and Carlisle Railway six-wheel 3rd class coach, built by the Metropolitan Wagon and Finance Co. in 1875, and a Great Eastern Railway six-wheel passenger brake built in 1894. The poor condition of the coaches forced the closure of the passenger service in 1955, but there was still a need for the trains. Following pressure from the NUM, it was reinstated in 1958 with an ancient ex-LNWR 3rd class brake coach purchased from BR for £15. The paddy train only ran for a few more years as bus services and the increase in car ownership rendered it obsolete.

Some NCB pits in South Wales formed Paddy trains from redundant 4 wheel goods vans. Seats were fitted inside the vans and the loading doors were removed. Steps were added for ingress and egress at ground level.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=miners'+paddy+trains&biw=1843&bih=897&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=W1ITVMnYM8PYapmqgtAJ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=miners%27+paddy+trains+south+wales&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=rmLGtspRAzCgtM%253A%3BE9VTDzQW9HqBtM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.blackcountrybugle.co.uk%252Fimages%252Flocalworld%252Fugc-images%252F276461%252FArticle%252Fimages%252F22832792%252F6830009-large.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.blackcountrybugle.co.uk%252FOld-colliery-locomotives-bring-memories-1950s%252Fstory-22832792-detail%252Fstory.html%3B618%3B416

• RMweb Premium

Woolwich Arsenal nonsense??!!?? Sputter,cough etc, etc! That bit of nonsense was the first British locomotive with 2 cylinders, outside valve gear, long travel valves, taper boiler with superheater and a Belpair firebox. Oh sorry, the LNER eschewed such refinements.

Runs for cover behind British lines. Now where did I put my 18 pounder? Range 400 yards elevation 30 deg, FIRE!!

Well said that man!

Well Chaz, I think you can get away with it. The link is to a rather poor photograph of a Paddy train on the Cannock Wood Colliery line on Cannock Chase in South Staffordshire. I know the area well because I was an officer in the Staffordshire Regiment and I'm a trustee of the Staffordshire Regiment Museum just a few miles away in Lichfield.  The photo shows No.8 Harrison, named after William Harrison, a prominent mine-owner in the area. This locomotive was originally built as a 2-4-0 tank engine by the Yorkshire Engine Company for the Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway and named Hope. The line linked collieries in North Wales with Shrewsbury but, despite its name, never reached as far as Stoke-on-Trent and was closed in 1880. Hope was then sold to the East and West Junction Railway, which ran from Fenny Compton to Stratford-on-Avon, via Kineton. The engine was then sold to B.P. Blockley of Bloxwich, a dealer in railway locomotives, who sold it on to Cannock and Rugeley Colliery in 1905. In 1916 the loco was rebuilt as an 0-6-0 and she continued in service until 1955. As an aside, the long and convoluted life stories of many industrial locomotives is one their endearing features.

Here Harrison is shown with the "Paddy Train", the only passenger service to run on the line, and there appears to be no platform. In 1908 the LNWR and the colliery came to an agreement that allowed the colliery to run passenger trains for the miners and other employees. The picture taken in 1953 when the old carriages were still in use. They were a Maryport and Carlisle Railway six-wheel 3rd class coach, built by the Metropolitan Wagon and Finance Co. in 1875, and a Great Eastern Railway six-wheel passenger brake built in 1894. The poor condition of the coaches forced the closure of the passenger service in 1955, but there was still a need for the trains. Following pressure from the NUM, it was reinstated in 1958 with an ancient ex-LNWR 3rd class brake coach purchased from BR for £15. The paddy train only ran for a few more years as bus services and the increase in car ownership rendered it obsolete.

Some NCB pits in South Wales formed Paddy trains from redundant 4 wheel goods vans. Seats were fitted inside the vans and the loading doors were removed. Steps were added for ingress and egress at ground level.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=miners'+paddy+trains&biw=1843&bih=897&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=W1ITVMnYM8PYapmqgtAJ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=miners%27+paddy+trains+south+wales&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=rmLGtspRAzCgtM%253A%3BE9VTDzQW9HqBtM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.blackcountrybugle.co.uk%252Fimages%252Flocalworld%252Fugc-images%252F276461%252FArticle%252Fimages%252F22832792%252F6830009-large.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.blackcountrybugle.co.uk%252FOld-colliery-locomotives-bring-memories-1950s%252Fstory-22832792-detail%252Fstory.html%3B618%3B416

Ah, Chris, there's the rub.  "The paddy train only ran for a few more years as bus services and the increase in car ownership rendered it obsolete." Dock Green is nothing like Cannock Chase and if the estate lines are widespread enough to justify a "Paddy Train" then probably London Transport would fill the need with one of their double-decker red jobs.

Ho Hum - it was just a thought.....

"the long and convoluted life stories of many industrial locomotives is one their endearing features"   Quite so! How many Ixion Hudswell Clarkes have been found homes with that very thought justifying their presence?

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

Poorly Tortoise.  :O

At Telford point 3A started to misbehave - the crossing was dead for one of the two routes. This only affected a couple of the locos so we carried on with these withdrawn from use. Yesterday I up-ended the baseboard and checked the wiring, including the contacts from the internal switch of the Tortoise and could find nothing wrong. Flipping the board over so that the point was uppermost and checking with the meter the crossing was definitely dead for one route. Odd!

Up-turning the board again I did a little more fault chasing. The PCB on which the switch is based projects outside the motor case and forms the connecting plate with the row of solder-pads. Eventually I found that gentle sideways finger pressure on this caused the connection to fail, obviously the motor was fine upside down but not the right way up. The contacts were probably only just touching or not. The first time I have had a problem with a new Tortoise.

Voiding the warranty I have dismantled the motor and adjusted the spring contacts slightly. Of course it's impossible to see these touching (or not) the PCB switch pads so all one can do is bend them gently so that they are making better contact and hope! I also treated the PCB pads on which the contacts run to a little graphite.

Incidentally if you do dismantle a Tortoise after you have removed the five screws put the label uppermost and lift that half of the case off. That should mean that all the plastic spindles with the gears moulded on don't fall on the floor, leaving you with an interesting 3D jigsaw puzzle. :scared:    How do I know?  :sarcastichand:

Edited by chaz

Confession time...

I bought this loco some time ago from Modeller's Mecca. It was in LNER livery but I used Fox transfers to update it.

K3fullsideelevation-2800x277_zpsc018ccd0

It was running on my home layout for quite a while but I was never really happy with it. I suspect that it had previously ran on a roundy-roundy layout. It ran beautifully when going forwards but in reverse it was hesitant and not very smooth at all.

K3oncrossing-2800x431_zpsc74994b8.jpg

Eventually I decided to replace the frames and get it running better. However half way through the rebuild I hit snags and put it on one side (seem familiar?) - in any case the building of Dock Green took all of my modelling time.

It now seems like time to dig it out and see if I can finish it. Isn't it strange how when you revisit a stalled project you can't figure out why you stopped? :scratchhead:

More posts later on progress with the mogul  (of course it's not an "N"!).

Chaz

PS - lots of room in this model for keep-alive capacitors.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 6

Sounds like I'll have to start the "Campaign for Real Moguls".

That provokes the obvious question....

Just to put the record straight, or at least to hammer a few of the dents out - I do like the Southern Moguls, although I wish they didn't have those odd (and probably ineffective) smoke deflectors. But I could hardly justify an "N" on DG, anymore than a Stanier or Churchward mogul. In fact even the K3 may be stretching a point a bit....

Chaz

• Like 1

That provokes the obvious question....

Just to put the record straight, or at least to hammer a few of the dents out - I do like the Southern Moguls, although I wish they didn't have those odd (and probably ineffective) smoke deflectors. But I could hardly justify an "N" on DG, anymore than a Stanier or Churchward mogul. In fact even the K3 may be stretching a point a bit....

Chaz

I am always tempted by Dave Hammersley's kit of the MSWJR's "Galloping Alice" Mogul whenever I see it on his Roxey Mouldings stand. It was based on a Beyer Peacock export design for the New South Wales Government Railways.