chaz

OOPS!

When I replaced all the servos with Tortoises I didn't expect this problem. The DCC box slid in easily when this point motor was a servo but a tortoise is bigger and got in the way. I cut the shelf away to allow the box to slide in. Whilst I was at it I took the chance to fix it in place with four wood-screws - necessary I thought as with the shelf narrower it is a bit less secure. This means the box can be installed before the layout gets loaded into a van - one less thing to install at a show.

P1030072450x600_zps571aea8e.jpg

The other thing I sorted on the underside of the same baseboard is the mains cable of the PSU for the DCC. This was dangling and a hazard both to itself and the baseboard as the latter was handled. I fitted some tool clips into which the mains lead fits, this keeps it safely out of the way for transport and storage but is quickly accessible when setting up.

P1030071450x600_zpse7a95258.jpg

The downside to fitting the DCC and its PSU at home is that it has made a significant difference to the weight of this baseboard, although it was always a two man job to move.

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

You say such nice things, Mr Klein. I have eschewed corny gimmicks and such - although there will be one little scene (tableau?)...

P1020728a700x529_zpsdd7ee678.jpg

Is that OK?   I didn't feel I could call it Dock Green without PC George Dixon featuring somewhere.

I approve. I am very, very impressed with the road sweeping department of Dock Green Borough Council.

I approve. I am very, very impressed with the road sweeping department of Dock Green Borough Council.

Do you not remember the road sweepers who used to patrol London streets with a two wheeled barrow and a broom and pan? These blokes kept the streets they patrolled very tidy. As BR(E) Dock Green station entrance is just a little further along the bridge than the section I have modelled the pavements here get well swept.

I like the magic, self balancing bicycle. With pedals in that position. better to lean it against the wall (or turn it around) :jester:

Best wishes,

Ray

The wheels don't seem to have any spokes, so if they can stay in place I'd have thought self balancing was quite possible too. :jester:

The wheels don't seem to have any spokes, so if they can stay in place I'd have thought self balancing was quite possible too. :jester:

For maximum realism, a  present day scene would, of course, have the cyclist wearing gaudy lycra, ignoring a red traffic light and running down a pedestrian as is the custom and practice in contemporary London where I work.

For maximum realism, a  present day scene would, of course, have the cyclist wearing gaudy lycra, ignoring a red traffic light and running down a pedestrian as is the custom and practice in contemporary London where I work.

Trouble is, they are 'couriers' & give the rest of us cyclists 'a bad name'.

Well now, I am quite happy to post the bicycles (I have three of similar style) to anyone who feels that they can add spokes to the wheels, correctly patterned and of scale section. it would also be nice to have tyre valves protruding through the rims with dust caps, of course. :O  Any volunteers?  :sarcastichand:

Present day scene? get with the programme!  A glance over the parapet (stand on the bike's saddle) will reveal a variety of ancient kettles wandering about under the bridge.

• Like 1

They hunt in packs in the Monmouthshire countryside Chris... several of them together in full eye-watering summer plumage are fully capable of taking down a medium-sized 4x4 ;-)

Back on topic (ish)... I suspect that if your customary level and attention to detail include scatterings of waste paper then a 7-mil rendition of a bike sans spokes and standing without visible means of support was almost inevitably give rise to a little gentle ribbing. If you could make it move however you could then claim to have created a model version of the legendary 'bicycle propelled by forces poltergeistical' ...

Yours respectfully.... etc., etc.,
Edited by David Siddall

Back on topic (ish)... I suspect that if your customary level and attention to detail include scatterings of waste paper then a 7-mil rendition of a bike sans spokes and standing without visible means of support was almost inevitably give rise to a little gentle ribbing. If you could make it move however you could then claim to have created a model version of the legendary 'bicycle propelled by forces poltergeistical' ...

Gentle ribbing we can take. Make it move? It has been done, and in 1:87 at that, on a beautiful (Dutch?) diorama. Quite exquisite.

I have switched my attention to those time-consuming platform barrows, one down eight to go. Will post with a progress report later.

At the moment the only figures on the layout, apart from crew in the loco cabs, will be PC Dixon and the cyclist he has stopped. I am averse to adding many figures as they often look unconvincing especially when frozen in mid-action.

I very much doubt it!!! The OP did say 'London'.......

I think the point is that some cyclist's behaviour is the same everywhere - & they don't have the excuse of being couriers! 

Doesn't anyone do PE spokes in O gauge Chaz - I know I've seen them in 1/72 for military & aircraft dioramas, & am pretty sure I've seen them in 1/48th for the same purpose...

I think the point is that some cyclist's behaviour is the same everywhere - & they don't have the excuse of being couriers! 

Doesn't anyone do PE spokes in O gauge Chaz - I know I've seen them in 1/72 for military & aircraft dioramas, & am pretty sure I've seen them in 1/48th for the same purpose...

PE spokes - "PE"? Sorry if I'm being dim.

Photo Etched, I guess

Of course - obvious!

Yes, sorry Chaz, that's what I meant.

No problem - just never seen that one before.

I think any photo etched spoke is likely to be oversized or etched away to nothing. I've just measured the wheel and each spoke would be approx' 8.5mm long! Doesn't really matter - if they were to scale I think they would be next to invisible anyway.... :scratchhead:

A typical bike spoke is apparently 2mm diameter, so about 0.046mm in 7mm scale. According to this, a human hair can be as thin as 0.04mm. So there's no excuse for not adding spokes.

Of course as a 4mm modeller, there would be no hair thin enough, so I couldn't do it even if I wanted to!!!!!! :jester:

Edited by BG John

A typical bike spoke is apparently 2mm diameter, so about 0.046mm in 7mm scale. According to this, a human hair can be as thin as 0.04mm. So there's no excuse for not adding spokes.

Of course as a 4mm modeller, there would be no hair thin enough, so I couldn't do it even if I wanted to!!!!!! :jester:

Regret that I can't fit hairy spokes as I can't find a supplier of 0.04mm drills. :stinker:

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"I can't find a supplier of 0.04mm drills."

Sadly, I can't help, Chaz.  However, if you don't mind a bit of a sloppy fit, how about 0.05mm drills:

www.drill-service.co.uk/Product.asp?Parent=020040080000&Tool=261

They come in packs of five but that's not such a bad thing as I expect you might break one or two before you have finished! :cry:

David

"I can't find a supplier of 0.04mm drills."

Sadly, I can't help, Chaz.  However, if you don't mind a bit of a sloppy fit, how about 0.05mm drills:

www.drill-service.co.uk/Product.asp?Parent=020040080000&Tool=261

Good grief - £10 a bit - I'd probably go through £50 worth on one bike...!!  :O

I think your idea of leaving well alone is best Chaz!