chaz

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't stand the heat.....

Progress over the last week or two has definitely slowed dramatically as the weather has imposed itself on all my efforts. However this morning I finally finished the wiring changes consequent on the change to Tortoise point motors. Hoorah. Now maybe I can get back to some real modelling.

Chaz

• Like 1

A common experience? After a bit of a break from Dock Green, and all the tedious wiring stuff, I was finding it difficult to get on with the next few jobs.

I decided to pick up and finish one of the half-done bits, the scrubby grass and weeds along the front of the baseboard which looked a bit thin and unconvincing. This was a "ploddy" job - something that didn't require any great thought or skill.

P1020967a600x413_zpse528293a.jpg

Adding a lot more grass clumps has made it look more convincing.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

No progress worth posting for a while now. I took a week off Dock Green to do other stuff (playing with a new camera etc) and have been chasing up lots of little unfinished bits (forgotten unpainted corners, obvious joins in the cork etc).

I have decided to remove the servo drive for the starter signal and replace it with a Tortoise (in line with the conversion of the points). However a Tortoise, as supplied, does not make a good signal driver and needs a little work. The signal needs a vertical pull-wire  but a Tortoise is set up to move a wire from side to side to operate a point.

The Tortoise design includes a  fulcrum plate that slides in two moulded slots so that the amount of throw is adjustable. If you remove the sliding fulcrum plate the slots can be used to support a flat mounting plate. I found that a piece of 1.6mm single-sided PCB cut to approx' 31 x 19mm is a snug fit.

P1020969600x461_zps1d153bab.jpg

To fit a lever pivot I drilled a 1.8mm hole on the centre line about 5mm from one end and tapped this 8BA. Tapping an 8BA thread in PCB is not very good engineering but it's only used to hold the bolt while it's soldered. I cut the head from a brass 8BA machine screw and screwed it into the plate so that it was flush at the back. . It was soldered to the copper  with a brass washer in place to form a boss. I made up a lever from a length rectangular section brass tube of 4.7 x 2.38mm section. A flat brass strip would be fine but I happened to have a length of the rectangular tube in a drawer. A short length of 3.2mm OD tube is needed - this is cut to be a little longer than the thickness of the lever.

P1020972600x450_zpsf1df0cb7.jpg

Two holes are needed in the lever;  one of diameter 3.2mm to fit around the sleeve on the  pivot pin, the other 2.9mm to accomodate the screw which is supplied with the Tortoise.
The next photo shows the lever fitted onto the Tortoise.

P1020971600x417_zpsb956b144.jpg

The sleeve allows the nut to be tightened with the lever able to move freely.

The Tortoise output block travels about 15mm from one side to the other but I need about 5mm vertical movement to work the signal. So the wire needs to be attached between the pivot and drive hole, about a third of the way along. The next photo shows a pilot hole drilled in the lever at the point where the wire will be.
The wire I am holding in the photo is an indication of how the signal pull wire will be relative to the lever.

P1020973600x450_zps7e7869c6.jpg

At the moment I am thinking along the lines of a short length of wire hooked into the hole. This is slid into a short tube. The pull wire from the signal is slid in from the other end of the tube so that the two wires overlap and they are then soldered up, the solder filling the tube. Adjustments can be made by melting the solder and moving one or both of the wires up or down and so changing the length. I know that this arrangement will work as I have used it before but it isn't very elegant so.....

I would welcome any ideas you might have for a better method.

that allows the wire to be adjusted up or down so that the signal action can be fine tuned
that swivels on the lever (as this moves in an arc)
and is easy to make and fit

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this will help Chaz. To activate some turnouts I mounted the tortoise on their sides and arranged brass rods in plastruct tubing to activate the turnouts. A Short length of brass tube was soldered across the rod and the actuating wire for the tortoise threaded through. The tube meant that no side thrust was applied to the rod. Turn this through 90deg and you have up and down motion. You might need limiters to protect the signal mech. If the rod ran through brass tube in the baseboard that could act as an upper limiter for the short length of tube.

Don

Thanks for that, Don. As I only have one signal to do and I already have the lever installed on a Tortoise I am half way there. You are right though, my Tortoise will also be on its side, supported on a bracket off the nearest frame member. No. what I was seeking was a better way of allowing the pull wire to be adjusted, preferably not involving solder.

I was talking to my wife, Sue, about the problem and she suggested...

P1020974_zps23933d4c.jpg

...the metal part of a "chocolate block" style screw terminal connector. Now why didn't I think of that? problem solved!

• Like 1

The signal drive is now on hold while I work on other stuff on the baseboard top surface (far more interesting!) but it will be done soon and I will then post a snap of the completed drive, installed.

One thing I didn't say in the posting above - to convert the Tortoise to do this job needs no change to it at all. If you are thinking of trying this there is no risk to an expensive purchase - the Tortoise can easily be changed back to its previous configuration (provided you don't lose the removed fulcrum plate!).

A small refinement....

P1020975600x510_zpsa019df13.jpg

It occurred to me that it might be quite fiddly to adjust the pull wire if both wire lengths were free to slide in the connector - there would be nothing to stop the connector dropping down out of position until at least one of the screws is tight (cue the anglo-saxon!). So I have soldered the connector to the wire from the Tortoise. I filed a slot in the side of the connector first and used 188 solder, adding enough to form a good fillet on both sides of the wire for strength. so now the wire dropping down from the signal just needs sliding into the connector, adjusting so that the arm is horizontal when the Tortoise is at one end of its travel, and the screws then tightened. If the screws are loosened for adjustments the connector stays put.

• Like 1

Another small job out of the way....

P1020977600x543_zps7eed4901.jpg

As I want all my operators to be able to make a good job of driving the locos on Dock Green, including using the DCC sound to good effect, I thought it a good idea to do a prompt card for each. These will hang on the back of the backscene retaining walls on small round-headed screws, where they can be easily referred to. They can be changed quickly as the locos come and go.

I have put three sets of screws in place - I don't anticipate more than three locos being in use at a time.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

This afternoon I finished installing the Tortoise drive for the signal....

P1020985494x600_zps5a468d2e.jpg

Snap shows the baseboard inverted. The Tortoise is fixed to the bracket that used to carry the servo, although it had to be repositioned to bring the two lengths of wire into line. The brass fitting at the bottom of the picture is the socket into which the signal plugs and above it is the connector (see above) that allows the wire length to be adjusted to get the signal arm horizontal in the stop position.

Chaz

• Like 3

Tatty, weatherbeaten, unloved....

Further up the page (posting #828) I explained how I was going to hide the T-nuts that had to be fitted on the front of the retaining walls. At long last I have made the second box. Both boxes are small card structures with my usual overlay of "planks" cut from 0.8mm ply'. I stained this to make it looked like battered bare wood and the sloping roofs are card painted very dark grey.

P1020992600x429_zps877c3ad5.jpg

When I placed them in position they didn't look quite right and I decided a battered coat of paint was in order. Using a thin brush along the planks and working away from bits I didn't want to colour worked fine. I was almost dry brushing as I wanted a patchy, neglected look.

P1020994600x450_zpse23b939b.jpg

Here are the two boxes in position on the layout...

P1020995600x429_zpsccc117aa.jpg

...and a close up of one of them.

P1020996600x429_zps97ba2ad3.jpg

This one still needs its patch of weeds growing underneath where feet don't go.

They are a small feature, right at the back of the layout, so will not grab attention but I hope that they do contribute to the overall scene. I still have no idea what they are for but I do remember seeing similar small structures by the lineside, tucked away in odd corners.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 9

I'm in small detail mode today....

Another "feature" I remember seeing was a pile of sleepers left by the lineside. Here's mine...

P1020999600x444_zps34381361.jpg

Unlike the sleepers in the Peco track these are wood. They have obviously been here some time as the weeds have had time to become established around them.

I am determined that Dock Green should not look cluttered so there will not be too many more added details.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 6

Filth....

More sooty deposits on bridge #4 and the two baseboards at this end of the layout are very nearly finished.

P1030004700x525_zpsd7bb0343.jpg

They just need a few wagons and a hissing steam tank trundling about to bring them to life....

P1030003700x525_zpsae7c244e.jpg

Below a view looking down the reception/departure line - not a view that's usually available, but nice.

P1030002700x525_zps188405af.jpg

P1030001700x368_zpse70fd56a.jpg

I'm not sure about the soot patches directly above the tracks. Do they need to be a big darker or wider or are they about right....?

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

Filth....

More sooty deposits on bridge #4 and the two baseboards at this end of the layout are very nearly finished.

P1030004700x525_zpsd7bb0343.jpg

They just need a few wagons and a hissing steam tank trundling about to bring them to life....

P1030003700x525_zpsae7c244e.jpg

Below a view looking down the reception/departure line - not a view that's usually available, but nice.

P1030002700x525_zps188405af.jpg

P1030001700x368_zpse70fd56a.jpg

I'm not sure about the soot patches directly above the tracks. Do they need to be a big darker or wider or are they about right....?

Chaz

Casting my mind(or what's left of it) back 40+ years, I seem to think that most bridges had smoke/blast deflector plates through them, from a little outside the arch(easier to replace rotted plates than rotted bridge?). Certainly the smoke marks would fan out and fade as they got higher and the edges would be less distinct. having said all this I'm plucking up courage to do this very thing on my 7mm narrow gauge layout and I know it ain't easy.

Phil T.

• Like 1

Thanks for those thoughts chaps. The airbrush bottle still contains matte black so it will be a simple job to revisit the smoke marks tomorrow morning.

Smoke deflector plates? We did consider them but as Empress Road bridge in Loughborough, on which Peter based the bridge, doesn't have them and probably never did (although one would have to check old pictures in albums to be sure) we decided against them.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

Possibly they could be of different sizes, at the moment they look a little symmetrical.

Maybe toss in one big one ?

Well GoNG, the obvious one to be bigger is the reception/departure where locos might be working a bit harder and there might be more traffic - the other tracks are just sidings after all.

Chaz

Thanks for those thoughts chaps. The airbrush bottle still contains matte black so it will be a simple job to revisit the smoke marks tomorrow morning.

Smoke deflector plates? We did consider them but as Empress Road bridge in Loughborough, on which Peter based the bridge, doesn't have them and probably never did (although one would have to check old pictures in albums to be sure) we decided against them.

Chaz

I'm not convinced the authorities would bother with smoke deflectors in a yard. I think the staining would be heavier on the reception and departure road where the engine would routinely be working harder as it pulled away from the yard. Smoke deflectors can still be seen at Surbiton station on the ex-LSWR mainline out of Waterloo. They are concrete and cast into footbridge of the 1937 art deco station. 

I'm not convinced the authorities would bother with smoke deflectors in a yard. I think the staining would be heavier on the reception and departure road where the engine would routinely be working harder as it pulled away from the yard. Smoke deflectors can still be seen at Surbiton station on the ex-LSWR mainline out of Waterloo. They are concrete and cast into footbridge of the 1937 art deco station. 

I agree Chris. My understanding is that they were fitted to cut down on the corrosive effects of coal smoke on steel; I believe they were occasionally fitted to signal gantries. But their use was certainly not universal and where traffic levels were low they might well have been omitted. Having said that the traffic levels in Dock Green yard are probably going to be somewhat excessive!

Chaz

Edited by chaz

I agree Chris. My understanding is that they were fitted to cut down on the corrosive effects of coal smoke on steel; I believe they were occasionally fitted to signal gantries. But their use was certainly not universal and where traffic levels were low they might well have been omitted. Having said that the traffic levels in Dock Green yard are probably going to be somewhat excessive!

Chaz

Indeed they were. Here is a pitcure of a bracket signal on the Blubell Railway that is so fitted and a gantry at Taunton in diesel days still carrying deflectors.

post-13142-0-28365700-1376750399.jpg

post-13142-0-49889200-1376750419_thumb.jpg

• Like 4