NER Class U/LNER N10

post-125-0-74587700-1340032271.jpg

This is nearing completion :)

It's for the Scalefour Society's East Yorkshire Area Group's layout Botanic Gardens. Based around the Connoisseur Models component pack which was sold at a stupidly low price of £42! A straight reduction of the normal kit from Jim McGeown's 0 gauge range it required a little more work in places - around the chassis and clearances within the body but no more than many foru mil' kits require when they're built to P4 standards.

It's fully sprung though it's built as though an eight coupled loco where the last pair of wheels merely come along for the ride. It will still go round the radius of curves we have though. I used High Level hornblocks with other items from London Road Models.

post-125-0-91535600-1340032299.jpg

There are a few parts still to be added but I'm getting there!

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

For the price they were some of the best kits around, I built one when they first came out (actually I built the first one, after Jim's test build) and I had it up and running in about 10 days, a record for me (and I'm sure many modellers). I built mine in 00 so had no problems with clearances that you would in P4.

Look forward to seeing it finished. :locomotive: :good:

Thanks Paul!

You're the only other person I know of who's built one! Such a shame Jim stopped producing the four mil' kits. The price allowed me to get excellent practice when I was in my mid-teens!

Should take so long now to be ready for painting - I've been getting on with the little bits in the quiet times at work! Sundays are useful but got loads done when a posession over ran last week!

.....You're the only other person I know of who's built one!

I think DougN built the same maker's N8. I was there in Australia at the time he was building it!

Such a shame Jim stopped producing the four mil' kits. The price allowed me to get excellent practice when I was in my mid-teens!

Seems no amount of persuasion will get Jim to do another run. You could get a Y7 shunter for a tenner back then; I can't remember which drawer I put mine in.

I think DougN built the same maker's N8.

I don't think Conn' Models produced an N8, certainly not that I've seen in 4mm. It could have been the LRM kit that he was building. I have one of these too; it;s my aim to have it as a holiday project when we go away in a few days. Suzi's taking her OU stuff so why not?!

That looks very nice James.

I have one of Jim's 7mm versions in the pile. Seeing a part built one (the seller was asking silly money for it) at Halifax show I was quite surprised how long they are - I hadn't looked at the etches only opening the box to place wheels motor and gear box in for when I get to it.

They are quite big tank locos really; the smaller wheels of the N10 make it appear even longer too! The kit fits together superbly, and is an absolute joy to build!

It's a real shame you can no longer get them (I wonder what the reason for theyir demise was...) and I've only seena couple of the four mil' kits on eBay. There were some nice wagons too IIRC.

• RMweb Gold

One of the reasons I heard was the moulds for the castings were worn out, they are available elsewhere so this shouldn't be a problem really. Perhaps they didn't sell enough, but then we all want more...

I'd quite happily buy another with no castings! Thanks to the NER's use of standard bits and pieces they don't present much of a problem!

Your's looks very nice! :)

Yes, mine will be in lined NER black - it's a livery I rather like but I hate applying it! One change I made from the kit was to roll the boiler inside out to loose the etched boiler bands as I'll apply my own using transfers, which is a very easy method for lined locos!

Hi James,

A lovely build indeed, very inspirstional. I recently picked up a slide of an N10 stood bunker to bunker with a J73 at Botanic, so this kit ( in 7mm ) is very near the top of the wish list. Looking forward to progress and seeing Botnaic again,

ATB Mick

• RMweb Premium

It's a real shame you can no longer get them (I wonder what the reason for theyir demise was...) and I've only seena couple of the four mil' kits on eBay. There were some nice wagons too IIRC.

Possibly because there is much more money to be made out of producing 7mm kits, for about the same effort.

They are quite big tank locos really; the smaller wheels of the N10 make it appear even longer too! The kit fits together superbly, and is an absolute joy to build!

You'll just have to change scale and move to 3mm/ft then :jester:

The entire McGowen range is available in that scale from Finney and Smith. (and ironically I'm building one of the N10's which is going together very well)

Possibly because there is much more money to be made out of producing 7mm kits, for about the same effort.

You'll just have to change scale and move to 3mm/ft then :jester:

The entire McGowen range is available in that scale from Finney and Smith......

Yes there is some discrimination against 4mm scale now. Similar situation with David Andrews 7mm scale loco kits, some of which are available in 3mm scale; he refuses to do something similar for 4mm scale - I should know, I asked!

Yes there is some discrimination against 4mm scale now. Similar situation with David Andrews 7mm scale loco kits, some of which are available in 3mm scale; he refuses to do something similar for 4mm scale - I should know, I asked!

I wonder if it's the 'way' 4mm are expecting things to be done. I don't know who did the actually pattern reductions but the actual production and selling of the 3mm kits is NOT done by the original designer. F&S to all the castings (and may indeed have created the masters) and get the etchings done themselves. I suspect the arrangement is the same with the David Andrews kits, in that ultimately all he's done is sold a licence to reproduce - rather than handling production himself.

Well Horsetan I did build a N9 it was the LRM kit I picked up 11 years ago at Scaleforum bring and buy. It went together very well and it is running. I should dig it out and take a photo for the web!

I wonder if it's the 'way' 4mm are expecting things to be done. I don't know who did the actually pattern reductions but the actual production and selling of the 3mm kits is NOT done by the original designer. F&S to all the castings (and may indeed have created the masters) and get the etchings done themselves. I suspect the arrangement is the same with the David Andrews kits, in that ultimately all he's done is sold a licence to reproduce - rather than handling production himself.

I'd have been quite happy with just the etchings reduced to 4mm scale (similar to the way in which Jim McGeown produced 4mm scale etchings from his 7mm kits). That would have left me free to look for my own turnings / castings.

• RMweb Premium

I'd have been quite happy with just the etchings reduced to 4mm scale (similar to the way in which Jim McGeown produced 4mm scale etchings from his 7mm kits). That would have left me free to look for my own turnings / castings.

I now have most of the castings necessary for NER locos with 4' 3" boilers. Some in brass and some in white metal. Also the tender castings. Anyone interested drop me a PM.

ArthurK

Thanks Mick!

But I wonder if 'inspirational' is a tad too much!

I'm not sure it is, I appreciate top rate modelling in all scales. And I particularly like P4 as it works on very similar principles to S7. Your N10 looks very well put together and inspirational is as much as I should get my finger out and build one too. And finally my modelling interests reside in the fair City of Hull and the East Riding so Botanic is right up my street. Looking forward to progress

ATB Mick

I have just come across this topic, no idea how I missed it.

Looks very nice loco James, be interesting to see it in NER livery.

The one built by Paul, I have seen in the flesh at our local club and the piccie does not do it justice. It is super.

I scratch built a Class U in EM gauge many years ago for a friend. It featured beam compensation and an old Branchlines 80/1 gearbox. However, he changed his mind and didn't want it. So I kept it for use on my own EM layout. It runs very well and is controllable down to scale walking pace and is a joy to use when shunting the yard - and that from a dyed in the wool Midland man.

I wonder how many more NER class U's there are out there.post-6110-0-07601900-1340140015_thumb.jpg

Just might be knee deep in them.

Derek

Archived