Neale Bank

RBE

Sounds good Mason. Im starting to get the modelling bug again now. I might even make a start on some of the buildings for the later boards whilst I wait to get cracking. not had the chance to build any tall architectual type buildings on Outon Road so this will be a great opportunity to make some impressive structures I think. As the apartments are at the front I will do full interiors with lighting possibly to show them off.

Cav

Sounds good Mason. Im starting to get the modelling bug again now. I might even make a start on some of the buildings for the later boards whilst I wait to get cracking. not had the chance to build any tall architectual type buildings on Outon Road so this will be a great opportunity to make some impressive structures I think. As the apartments are at the front I will do full interiors with lighting possibly to show them off.

Cav

I am doing the same thing mate until we get the boards started by building the fuel point and storage tanks and getting what stock i have for the project updated and any other little test pieces i do pre build

• 1 month later...

What do u mean you missed it!!! ha ha, I think demu next year is a big ask ha ha were pretty much coming out of the planning stage but a few life situations have affected both camps so it's slowed down a little but by no means stopped, stock is still being built and painted and modded in the back ground until the build begins.

I agree. DEMU will be a task too far I think. 2014 is a more realistic proposition. As Neil said things are going on in the background to keep things ticking over for now. Hopefully some build progress soon.

Cav

I agree. DEMU will be a task too far I think. 2014 is a more realistic proposition. As Neil said things are going on in the background to keep things ticking over for now. Hopefully some build progress soon.

Cav

I see you are planning to increase the workforce on the new layout very soon, :declare: they should be able to do scenics and solder within the next 10 YEARS, :butcher: ha ha ha

• 1 month later...

Well I thought Id bump Neale Bank with a little post showing a recent purchase for the new layout. Got it for a steal and goes perfectly with my mk 3 set I have on my bench. Done a little work on it to back date it a little namely adding clipped buffers, rubbing plate and drophead buckeye coupler. I didnt bother with the grp dam as there were a number of dvts that lost these early on. 144 being such an example. I also went for opening up the tdm covers as 144 had lost these too. Plus makes it a little more interesting. With pretty much all of the detail work now done a nice subtle weathering now ensues. More when that happens.

post-6894-0-08865200-1353171856_thumb.jpg

Cav

Nice that you are interested chaps. I cant wait to get started tbh but in reality there is no chance of anything happening before christmas. I will certainly be getting the first board going in the new year. In the meantime stock and planning is the order of the day. Spent about 2 hrs the other night working out the OHLE mast positions etc. completed about 3ft of it so that will be a long process it seems. The constant track curvature causes a few problems in this respect making things a bit more complex.

As for Outon it'll be out in Pontefract in January. Other than that I havent got anything else booked yet.

Cav

• 4 weeks later...

As a bit of a thread bump heres a couple of the electrics in the process of being built for the layout. The 86 will again have a modified Heljan class 26 chassis and the 90 a Heljan hymek. Im also using Pete Harveys 90 bits and I have to say they are pretty good so far.

post-6894-0-81940900-1355232067_thumb.jpg

Cav

Guest jim s-w

Hi cav

Is there a reason to stick to the under length bogies of the 86 when you can use something much closer to scale for next to the same effort? Longer bogies on the 86 do make a big difference to how the loco looks

class%2086%20compared.jpg

Cheers

Jim

As a bit of a thread bump heres a couple of the electrics in the process of being built for the layout. The 86 will again have a modified Heljan class 26 chassis and the 90 a Heljan hymek. Im also using Pete Harveys 90 bits and I have to say they are pretty good so far.

post-6894-0-81940900-1355232067_thumb.jpg

Cav

Nice work Cav - ah the good old WCML Traction of the1990's - these long winter nights must positively be flying by....

Ian

I would certaily buy some if they did James. I know Jim but the reason is cost and availability. A Heljan hymek or 86 is much pricier than a 26. Plus I happen to have a spare one! Can always change the bogies later. Love the WCML shame my nights arent that free!!

Cav

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Cav & Neil,

I don't know how I managed to miss this thread as it kicked off last summer. Oh well, it's added to my follow list now (so hard to find things on RMWeb these days!).

I agree. DEMU will be a task too far I think. 2014 is a more realistic proposition. 

We've already got provisional bookings for 2014 and 2015 so would love to add it to the list for either year! Neale Bank looks like a serious commitment so happy to settle for "its ready when its ready" approach.

Cav, your sketch on page 4 looks great - I really like the circular idea and setting everything on a curve. So much more interesting than layouts where the track is all parallel to a straight baseboard edge. Because the scenics take up nearly 270 degrees of the curve, (with my exhibition manager's hat on) it makes an interesting challenge to find a space for it. I guess it would lend itself to being exhibited as an "island" or at one end of a "block". Is there any reason why you are planning the individual boards to be parallelograms rather than segments of a circle? I'm guessing that having straight sides will make them easier to construct.

Regarding the 81s, there are a few pictures of them from mid 1989 on WCML freight in your area such as the one below (recently posted on the class 85 thread). It's only 6 months prior to 1990 so perhaps could be justified? The rake doesn't look too long either!

Guy

4547221665_7bbb3e6d5d_b.jpg
Ravenscraig limestone by The Finescale crew, on Flickr

Hey Guy cheers for the bump. The segments are done as straight edges for a number of reasons. 1 Easier to make but that wouldnt stop me making em curved really, 2 Easier to pack for transport, curved ones are more awkward to stack and move, 3 I can make the straight edged from a 4 x 2 board however to make them curved then I would need boards wider than 2ft to give the same scenic size.

Its going to take a while to get this layout going and due to my recent redundancy there is little free time and cash to devote to its construction but it will certainly get underway at some point.

Cav

• 3 months later...

Archived