Β 

My fascination with old railway buildings led me to this wonderful derelict beside the Lachine Canal in Montreal. It is evidently well known to those who know their Canadian railways and it was the first truly 'modern' state of the art signal tower when it was built. A picture of the inside when it was working shows a huge stretch of railway under its control, including right through Montreal Central station, and the swing bridge over the canal immediately outside the tower. Now just a concrete shell (and looking like it has been fenced off ready for demolition) it would surely be a listed building if it was in the UK. Even now, with a lot of investment, it would make a fabulous three storey town house conversion but I'm told that if I wanted to do it, I'd have to stand in line behind a good few CN and VIA staff!

Anyway, I just have to build it in 'HO' but I would really like to find some pictures of it in earlier times with diesels or even steam working past it. It's such a photogenic spot that someone must have gone there with a camera, even if the public-access cycle paths are a recent addition. So, anyone know where there are pictures? In any of the BRMNA books, for instance?

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-14810600-1339780053_thumb.jpg

Chris, try this,

Β 

http://griffintownst...gton-tower.html

Β 

Cheers.

Β 

andy

Β 

That's brilliant! Thanks, so much. I'd seen the first two pics but not the rest. Now I understand what the remaining bits of ironwork are that still bridge the railway. They are part of the structure on which the span lifted. I've since discovered that the control desk and track diagram from the tower are in the museum at St. Constante - too bad I went there the day BEFORE I 'discovered' the tower and they were in the one building that I didn't visit! Oh, well, another excuse to go back again. Seems there's a lot of Montreal that I missed but I was only there a day and a half.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-1062-0-29887000-1339940776_thumb.jpg

Archived