Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Its similar but different, see link

http://www.theindependentscratchbuilder.com/42.%20Vintage%20Motors/1.%20Pittman%20Era%20Motors/1.%20Pittman%20Era%20Motors/Pittman/DC-195%20&%20196.htm

The bottom plate on mine is straight, not bent upwards to the shaft. The rear magnet  has 45 degree corners not straight. Also has a straight forward front bearing without any circular housing. Could either be an earlier/later variant or a different model. Or the railway version not slot car

£8.61 for a Bachmann BSK in SR green.

The Gibson Compound kit has turned up, and I've taken the instructions and the accompanying Domestic Duck book to read on the ship to Norway.....

I predict many hours with nothing to do on the ship, except raiding Ebay, of course............ :locomotive:

Didn't think about it but quite apt.

Think the chap must have got the items from a boot sale or similar. Obviously the previous owner had problems with whitemetal, but to make a set of Ratio bogies and lock them up solid with solvent takes some doing. How about the Stannier Tender, he must be turning in his grave with the GWR emblem on it

We could always start an eBays version of the Darwin's award in a thread, Bozo award

A bit cheeky to start it at a tenner. A fiver would be a better way of drawing 'em in.

Certainly is. I've been able to pick up a couple of bits that I've been after for literally years. One item might actually be able to help others.

I am waiting for a box to arrive ( I guess it will be tomorrow and I will have to collect on Saturday from the delivery office)  of 13 coaches/wagons for £26 once postage is added. Photo is poor and the quality of some may be a bit iffy, which is the gamble 

JOB LOT 12 TRAIN CARRIAGES & TRAIN FOR SPARES OR REPAIRS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-12-TRAIN-CARRIAGES-amp-TRAIN-FOR-SPARES-OR-REPAIRS-/321414434075?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2kHhCxO70AaXEpbU3%252BPohU5fWjQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Looking at it there are some plastic K's kits 40' full brake,Syphon F? , low syphon and 40t bogie mineral wagon. These alone are well worth the price

Could be a diesel body, though one end (may be a kit) may be missing, a Ratio bogie coach missing a bogie. 2 Triang wagons, 2 tenders (one may be whitemetal) I think an old paper sided Mink van and some strange long wheelbase Triang wagon.

Buys like these are quite fun, as the anticipation of what's coming coming in the post is a bit like waiting for a birthday or Christmas present. This is the fun side of buying on EBay, chap seems to sell anything and not much idea of what he is selling. Postage at £4.95 reasonable and was sent 2 nd class yesterday.

A bit of a postscript on the Jiffy bag full of unwrapped items from Wales which cost me £26,

I have sold the MTK kit and 2 tenders for just under £18

5 Triang/Hornby wagons are now with my nephews 4 year old (along with some track and a Jinty and a few other bits for a train set)

So for my tenner I have got

a K's GWR 40' full brake coach with Triang bogies!!

a K's bogie Syphon F

A K's 6 wheel Syphon, on a Triang 4 wheel chassis

A K's 40t bogie coal wagon with stuck up Ratio bogies

A destroyed Ratio LNWR coach

I have replacement bogies for both the coach and bogie coal wagon, the Syphon F needs some underframe details (as does the 40' brake) and bogies soldering up, so at a net cost of about £2.50 each, quite pleased with these. And 4 others who have what they wanted at reasonable costs

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A pair of current production Hornby Schools class boilers and cabs with some fitments still attached for the spares box (future projects department) for just a pound plus P+P!!

• Like 1

Spot on both times, it goes right against what I am trying to do which is to go for fewer but better quality locos. But I could not resist the challenge

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-Gauge-White-Metal-Model-Railway-Engines-Spares-or-repairs-/191253915583?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2kHhCxO70AaXEpbU3%252BPohU5fWjQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now what am I going to do with this motley group of bits !! yes your idea of kit bashing

Firstly I can see 2 or 3 items I can dispose of to reduce my outlay.

I also have a couple of boxes with parts for K's Moguls and Granges that are missing a few bits,I need to see what parts I can salvage to complete these locos. Then as the GWR standardised various parts, see if I can do a bit of kit bashing

The main idea is to use the Fire box/boiler/smoke box units to make one of the re-boilered absorbed engines that graced the South Wales rails. The foot plates and main body parts will be in plasticard. I might be able to use footplates cabs etc, but its the boilers etc that are hard to make So it will be taking my copy of Russells GWR Absorbed engines on holiday to look for candidates. 

I also took another step in my main goal in getting an un-built Wills Prairie for a good price, again I can sell the cast chassis as I will be putting a SEF etched chassis under it and seeing what additional parts are available in the revised kits, and as both items came from the same seller the P&P was greatly reduced

• Like 2

A couple of boxes waiting for me, firstly the box with the loco bodies and tenders and The Wills Prairie,

Will sort through the parts  (3 collet goods bodys and 2 tenders + a Romford re-wheeled chassis, 3 more loco body's and a couple of tenders )over the next few days and decide what I want to keep and what to re-sell.

The Prairie has the cast whitemetal chassis, this will be re-sold and a new etched one ordered which is £34.50 + postage. Its worth it for the new chassis and motion.  A new one is £87.95 + £4.50 P&P I paid about £26 for it and hope to get a tenner for the chassis.

Tonight I won Southeastern Finecast SR Q1 for £34.50 + 6.50, I think £41 is quite reasonable for a £93.95 + postage kit, chassis started everything still in the packet. I have 2 x K's and a Wills finecast and it fits into my upgrade plans fine. 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

The Wills King Arthur arrived today, runs very well. Brush painted and the tender has been hand lined very well. Triang chassis and the valve gear is very good for its age, Tender bogie wheels are horrible thick plastic ones, these will have to be replaced. I must get some code 100 laid, as I think I will keep this one as it is for the vintage layout I fancy (1950's / 60's era)

Had a better look at yesterdays arrivals (time was short yesterday as the car broke down on the way home, good job it was 3.30 as it took the AA 40 mins to arrive sadly he did not have the part, so towed me to the garage I use who fixed the car today and it was ready this afternoon ( can highly recommend this chap who's garage is on the Watford/Croxley borders.And I had a friend round for a bit of track building instruction

Anyway what arrived a complete Wills Collet goods with Romford wheels on a Triang chassis, runs very well, odd part missing and needs a bit of work in the tender coupling. Also 2 further Collet goods locos, without chassis and both needing a few bits. A K,s Grange body and tender, loco missing steps and front buffers, so will go with 2 others I have, A wills King body and a Hall body both not complete, the Hall may not be a Wills, lastly a NE or LNER tender of some make (not Wills). Anyway all these cost me £23 ish I will sell a few of them and keep the rest for spares and or kit bashing, if I can find an appropriate class in the absorbed locos of the GWR which had been rebuilt with GWR standard boilers etc. Knobhead no doubt will come to the rescue. I must leave some feed back for these items as very pleased with them

• Like 1

Just to bore some of you and hopefully get some suggestions of possible conversions here are the photos of what arrived. It hopefully will show what is available at a reasonable price

post-1131-0-92682900-1406907939_thumb.jpg

This is a Wills King Arthur on a Triang chassis, fine for code 100 rail. Markits do both wheels and axles so you can convert the chassis to a finer scale to run on code 75 rail. On the other hand Southeastern Finecast now do a scale etched chassis. This one will stay as it is for a vintage style layout. But at £20.27 inc postage a snip which could either be used as it is, or stripped down and rebuilt. These sell at £99.50 new albeit in a revised form. A chassis on its own is £34.50, SEF will supply spare parts

This next lot was from one lot at £21.50 + postage

post-1131-0-21343200-1406907954_thumb.jpg

This is the best of the locos, has Romford wheels just needs a bit of painting and the loco/tender coupling sorting out. One polarity is from the loco, the other from the tender, no pickup wires

post-1131-0-16505100-1406907973_thumb.jpg

Loco missing cab roof and whistle, tender short of a few bits and one step broken.  The missing parts could be obtained from Southeastern Finecast, Stripping and rebuilding would be the best option

post-1131-0-61292000-1406907995_thumb.jpg

This one is ripe for kit bashing, the tender is worth more on its own rather than with the body

post-1131-0-40307200-1406908012_thumb.jpg

The K's Grange, no chassis missing a few bits, but parts no longer available though the likes of Southeastern Finecast may have some parts from other locos to finish off. Comet Models do a chassis

post-1131-0-10564100-1406908031_thumb.jpg

Again, just for parts a Hall body  

post-1131-0-80403800-1406908060_thumb.jpg

As is this Wills King loco

post-1131-0-03338500-1406908074_thumb.jpg

Mystery tender, looks to be North Eastern in style. No idea of the manufacturer

I could sell the decent Collet goods and get somewhere near what I have paid, or the tenders (4) have value and again on their own would reach somewhere near what I have paid. I could end up with a free loco and a few parts

Now with this bag of spares if anyone has an idea of a class of loco which is not readily available which could be built using one of the boilers. fire box/ smoke box

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to bore some of you and hopefully get some suggestions of possible conversions here are the photos of what arrived. It hopefully will show what is available at a reasonable price

Oi, what's going on here? I thought you were under strict instructions to reduce the collection from SWMBO, pending a house move? Has there been a change of plan?

:jester:

Oi, what's going on here? I thought you were under strict instructions to reduce the collection from SWMBO, pending a house move? Has there been a change of plan?

:jester:

Kevin

Well there were some glances when the boxes arrived and the Southeastern Finecast Q1 is still to arrive, but I have been "very slowly" building and laying track, fitting Rabbits and wire droppers for quite a few weeks, which has been happening in the dining room. The layout is being picked up today, so Brownie points are quite high.

Whilst "Guilty as charged M'Lord" the mitigating reasons are as follows :-

I saw a lot with some promises which was about £23 ( I paid £21.01 plus shared postage of £4.50 with a Wills Prairie). Photos were not that good as was the description and I saw the oppertunity.

One thing I fancy is to follow Knobheads lead and try and fashion one loco out of another (kit bashing) as the GWR standardised everything they could, when one of the absorbed engines came in for a major overhaul the fire/smoke boxes and boilers were changed, so the Collett Goods bodies looked promising.

Well the Complete Collett goods just needs a bit of finishing off with a bit of painting, A wire shortening and connecting the tender to the body, plus it has Romford wheels (all be it 18 mm not 20 mm) which I had no idea about. That will get my outlay back.

I have a box with a Wills Saint and Star, a couple of K's Moguls and a Grange, all are missing bits. So I may be able to use certainly the Grange and perhaps the Hall to rob bits from. 

That leaves the King body and LNER tender, these will go back on Ebay with the Collett, and then there are 2 Collett tenders and a Grange tender. If they are not needed they also may go back on Ebay

I might even find some prototype where I could use the Grange and Halls footplate and boilers etc, but I doubt it. In short most will either be used to complete kits (un-wanted ones will be sold) or sold, which will reimburse me and save money on parts and I will have a couple of no cost bits to do a bit of kit bashing.

Now the King Arthur I  have  a Will's body kit so having one built and working is a step forward, just have to decide as to sell the body kit or finescale the chassis

The Southeastern Finecast Q1 fits the bill again, I do have another (as well as 2 K's/Little Trains versions). The SEF kit will be built along with the part built one (which has no instructions and is missing a couple of items) one will be resold as will the K's/Little Trains locos unless I find they are not the same.

Its now in writing I am going to sell the duplicates and reduce the collection ( I have just noticed I have 2 Wills K3's, why? I don't model the LNER!!) Must start a to sell shelf and drip feed on to Ebay ( to fund SEF chassis) and I have always wanted a De Glehn, but too tight/poor to buy one new. So reward is to save up for a De Glehn

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20140801_161323_resized.jpg

This is a Wills King Arthur on a Triang chassis, fine for code 100 rail. Markits do both wheels and axles so you can convert the chassis to a finer scale to run on code 75 rail. On the other hand Southeastern Finecast now do a scale etched chassis. This one will stay as it is for a vintage style layout. But at £20.27 inc postage a snip which could either be used as it is, or stripped down and rebuilt. These sell at £99.50 new albeit in a revised form. A chassis on its own is £34.50, SEF will supply spare parts

This next lot was from one lot at £21.50 + postage

attachicon.gif20140801_161252_resized.jpg

This is the best of the locos, has Romford wheels just needs a bit of painting and the loco/tender coupling sorting out. One polarity is from the loco, the other from the tender, no pickup wires

attachicon.gif20140801_161400_resized.jpg

Loco missing cab roof and whistle, tender short of a few bits and one step broken.  The missing parts could be obtained from Southeastern Finecast, Stripping and rebuilding would be the best option

attachicon.gif20140801_161447_resized.jpg

This one is ripe for kit bashing, the tender is worth more on its own rather than with the body

attachicon.gif20140801_161528_resized.jpg

The K's Grange, no chassis missing a few bits, but parts no longer available though the likes of Southeastern Finecast may have some parts from other locos to finish off. Comet Models do a chassis

attachicon.gif20140801_161622_resized.jpg

Again, just for parts a Hall body  

attachicon.gif20140801_161643_resized.jpg

As is this Wills King loco

attachicon.gif20140801_161658_resized.jpg

Mystery tender, looks to be North Eastern in style. No idea of the manufacturer

I could sell the decent Collet goods and get somewhere near what I have paid, or the tenders (4) have value and again on their own would reach somewhere near what I have paid. I could end up with a free loco and a few parts

Now with this bag of spares if anyone has an idea of a class of loco which is not readily available which could be built using one of the boilers. fire box/ smoke box

How do you find these gems? When I do a search on ebay, all I get is Gostude and followers with their inflated prices!

Regards,

Stefan

Just a bit too much time looking, others find things I miss like Horestan. Its obviously not in the correct category, quite often its by clicking on the sellers other items or the "more like your watched item"

In short spending too much time just trawling through

Just a bit too much time looking, others find things I miss like Horestan. Its obviously not in the correct category, quite often its by clicking on the sellers other items or the "more like your watched item"

In short spending too much time just trawling through

I spend a lot of time looking as well.........  The clicking on sellers other items etc. must be the key!

• Like 1

Stefan

Don't tell everyone !!!

It's more by luck, or being curious, could be experience of finding things. Once by putting Peco in the search all (not trains) I came across 2 Peco 7 mm narrow gauge locos in a totally different section (Knitting ?) anyway those searching in that area were not interested in trains, those looking for trains were not looking in the knitting section. Needless to say I got 2 cheap locos.

Or where the description does not tally with the photo,

The other day I won something at 6 am, who's up at that time. When a major event is on (cup final etc). But more often than not its just a badly listed item.

I won an Airfix 14xx with a Comet Chassis and a RG4 along with a Bachmann Pannier again with a comet chassis and can motor, both for about £25 each and from Rails of Sheffield. Even the professionals make mistakes  

• Like 2