Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

I said a few posts back I bought a Craftsman 1F with wheels, motor and gears for £23 last weekend. 2 people have got into a bidding war for a SR T1 which can be bought new for £52,50, well an old un-built kit (no wheels motor etc) is now up to £58.75 !!!! Catalogue states May 2014 so as far as I know they are still trading

I just paid on Ebay £119 for this D11/2 model by Bachmann, new, and have enhanced the pic a little.  Was that a fair price? Good price? 

Out of interest really, because I like the engine (have a weathered D11/1 as well)... but I hadn't followed prices when this model and the NRM GCR version were released.

post-7929-0-17486900-1400386987.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

I have no idea if it is a good price or not as I am not into RTR locos

If you had to buy one retail, firstly could you, if so how much would you have to pay, is it still available. Lots of questions.

The first test is did you pay less than you were willing to ?

Next could you buy one elsewhere cheaper ?

I guess you could pay anything from £50 to £100 (may be more) to have a loco weathered professionally. 

£119 is more or less what you would pay on the high street. Ian Allan Bookshop in Waterloo charged about the same the last time they had one in. Not cheap.

Sometimes 'cheap' is not as good as 'value'.

Sometimes 'cheap' is not as good as 'value'.

Agree, and a good buy is not necessarily on monetary value alone. Having said that most of the thread is about buying items at a reduced price and cheap can be good, as Horestan's buy has made him money and he still has the parts.

On a similar vein I brought a job lot of etched coupling rods and detailing items, 15 for £21.36. I have now sold 6 for a net £12 so my 9 have cost me £9.50 and I will sell another 3 as 6 sets is enough for me. So cheap can also be good.  

Edited by hayfield

Joblots containing the bit or bits that you want can be huge fun if you're prepared to excise and list the unwanted parts individually, so that others (who might not have been prepared to take on a whole joblot) can in turn get the bits they want out of it without being inconvenienced by the rest. That way, everyone ends up happy.

The bonus comes in calculating what you effectively paid for the bits you kept. Sometimes this works out at quite a lot less than buying new, and sometimes you realise that you managed to achieve a no-cost acquisition because the bits you sold on reimbursed you the cost of the initial joblot....or, even better, made you a small profit which can be put towards more bits or *groans* eBay fees....

.... Monterey value...

Other holiday destinations are available. Edited by Horsetan

A good buy for me was picking up a Bachmann A1 that has been DCC hardwired for $100AU about 2 years back-the equivalent of £55.67 these days

Downside? Doncaster cab with Darlington tender. Solution? Cut it up as it soon will be used for another project.

Two '0m' Fama/Utz/Kiss electro-magnet uncouplers off Ebay Germany for a total of £24 inc p&p.

Okay, that makes five I have for a layout destined to be 24 feet by 2 feet but I'm not getting any younger  :senile:  

Joblots containing the bit or bits that you want can be huge fun if you're prepared to excise and list the unwanted parts individually, so that others (who might not have been prepared to take on a whole joblot) can in turn get the bits they want out of it without being inconvenienced by the rest. That way, everyone ends up happy.

The bonus comes in calculating what you effectively paid for the bits you kept. Sometimes this works out at quite a lot less than buying new, and sometimes you realise that you managed to achieve a no-cost acquisition because the bits you sold on reimbursed you the cost of the initial joblot....or, even better, made you a small profit which can be put towards more bits or *groans* eBay fees....

Other holiday destinations are available.

I cant even spell with a spell checker, but it was early on a Sunday morning. Good job I have used small words now as I have had a nice lunch beside the Thames with a glass of Peroni followed by some very nice Californian red, food was excellent as well. Nice walk in the countryside in the sun after to let the food settle 

• Like 2

I just paid on Ebay £119 for this D11/2 model by Bachmann, new, and have enhanced the pic a little.  Was that a fair price? Good price? 

Out of interest really, because I like the engine (have a weathered D11/1 as well)... but I hadn't followed prices when this model and the NRM GCR version were released.

attachicon.gif31-136k_d11_3ab_r800.jpg

Rob

Brand new from Bachmann Collectors Club for £117 this a club only edition.

Nearly had a disaster as a £12.25 bid turned into £1225.00 as I forgot to put in the decimal point. I wondered why I won it at £22.09. Still a bit of luck, a part built Wills hall, which looks to be stuck together with Evo stick, Triang Hornby chassis but with a replacement 5 pole motor. May need cylinders etc. Also bought 5 other items (4 motors and a couple of flywheels) and the chap reduced the postage from £14 to £4, so looks to be a good buy if they all work. Could have been so bad though, must not bid when I am in the garden sawing wood

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

Well if you are not a club member then it must be a good buy

Indeed, not being a member, and the value is ultimately in my own judgement, I like the look of the model, and the standard of modelling achieved by Bachmann with it. The backhead detail is great, the representation of between-frames detail, and so on. I also rather like models which fly beneath the radar a bit...

and I do enjoy looking for models which satisfy my needs on Ebay.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

Are you going to hold the Peroni or Red Wine responsible?

My Samsung as I was in the garden and was managing to both saw and chisel straight. It was the touch screen.

Saying that I successfully bid and won at the same time

2 brass flywheels 99p

K's Mk2 motor £1.49

Airfix 5 pole motor £.3.40

Anchorage 5 pole £5.25 D11 or 13

Anchorage 5 pole £4.20 D11 or 13

And I was out bid for an Anchorage between the two I won at £5.85, so I managed to get the decimal point it at least once

• Like 1

Indeed, not being a member, and the value is ultimately in my own judgement, I like the look of the model, and the standard of modelling achieved by Bachmann with it. The backhead detail is great, the representation of between-frames detail, and so on. I also rather like models which fly beneath the radar a bit...

and I do enjoy looking for models which satisfy my needs on Ebay.

Rob

According to Bargain Hunt. The definition of a bargain is something you want and buy,at a price which is less than you are willing to pay for it.

I am afraid that with RTR models I am very out of touch with the prices

• RMweb Gold

I've had a couple of good buys recently on eBay, two Pola/Playcraft "Bletchley" station buildings, one in kit form and one built up.  I got the kit for about £25 and the built up one (which needs some slight restoration and a paint job) for just over a fiver.  The thing is until I saw the listing for the kit I had no idea these kits existed, but they are a brilliant representation of the WCML modernisation plan prefabricated stations used in places like East Didsbury, so I was well pleased to get not one but two within a month!  From what I can see, and having done a bit of digging, they are not that common so to have gone from a state of total ignorance of their existence to having two in the space of a month is pretty good going I think!

• Like 2

According to Bargain Hunt. The definition of a bargain is something you want and buy,at a price which is less than you are willing to pay for it.

I've only just notice that the "you won" e-mail to the buyer that is copied to the seler includes the buyers maximum bid. Is this a new feature?

Andrew

I've only just noticed that the "you won" e-mail to the buyer that is copied to the seller includes the buyers maximum bid. Is this a new feature?

It is to me - I've not seen that before.

Edited by Horsetan

I've only just notice that the "you won" e-mail to the buyer that is copied to the seler includes the buyers maximum bid. Is this a new feature?

Andrew

Is this the one that says you got it at 91% of your max bid?  I saw it for the first time last week (deleted it now). Are you sure it is copied to the seller?

Tony

Is this the one that says you got it at 91% of your max bid?  I saw it for the first time last week (deleted it now). Are you sure it is copied to the seller?

Tony

Seems I've been seeing this for some time now - not sure just how long, several months at least. I don't think the same email is copied to the seller. At least the seller isn't listed as a "cc" in the ones I have here.

Seems I've been seeing this for some time now - not sure just how long, several months at least. I don't think the same email is copied to the seller. At least the seller isn't listed as a "cc" in the ones I have here.

Well, they are certainly being copied to me, as a seller. I was quite surpised at the amount one person was prepared to pay. They got a real bargain :-)

Andrew