Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

I am building up a stock of older vehicles for my proposed docklands layout. I have just bought a Langley models Leyland Beaver Tractor unit with a flatbed trailer, new one costs £22.65 the other £22.30.   I was going for a GER timeframe, but I seem to be getting into BR era, plus I am having to modify the plan slightly to encompass the ever growing selection of road vehicles I am collecting  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a stroke of luck, whilst bidding on another loco kit I noticed a Milholme LSWR H16 kit.  OK in the past I have found Milholme kits a bit below par. But as I am modelling North Cornwall on one of my layouts and the LSWR being half of what interests me as far as companies, then my love of large tank engines the H16 fits the bill on two counts, plus they are quite rare

Well it cost me £60 inc postage and came with a set of Romford Drivers and a set of slaters sprung buffers, it has an etched chassis and a set of 40-1 Romford gears which will be sold to part fund a high Level gearbox. Well it arrived today, the castings have not even been unwrapped and the kit looks to be better quality than the last Milholme kit I built.

Considering I have a set of Romfords plus some sprung buffers I think its £60 well invested

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this is classed as a good buy, I got an MTK class 59 with motor bogie for £50.

I read an article in an old railway modeller and it looks like a decent kit for MTK. 

I know that their is the Hornby /lima one and the Dapol one due soon but I thought it could be fun. 

• Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 11:31, hayfield said:

Just had a stroke of luck, whilst bidding on another loco kit I noticed a Milholme LSWR H16 kit.  OK in the past I have found Milholme kits a bit below par. But as I am modelling North Cornwall on one of my layouts and the LSWR being half of what interests me as far as companies, then my love of large tank engines the H16 fits the bill on two counts, plus they are quite rare

Well it cost me £60 inc postage and came with a set of Romford Drivers and a set of slaters sprung buffers, it has an etched chassis and a set of 40-1 Romford gears which will be sold to part fund a high Level gearbox. Well it arrived today, the castings have not even been unwrapped and the kit looks to be better quality than the last Milholme kit I built.

Considering I have a set of Romfords plus some sprung buffers I think its £60 well invested

I was bidding on that as well, beaten to it again! :)

I recently bought a mixed lot of kits and bits, usual GWR 61xx and 2251 included with all wheels. However it also contained a brass 47xx, which must weigh about 2lbs, and Romford wheeled chassis, and an unknown manufacturers etched brass LNWR 0-6-2 Coal Tank kit, basically untouched with two chassis and wheels. Total cost with postage was £38. That should give me enough to play with for a while.....
 No wait, I also seem to have bought 2 old K's Q1's. Looks like a trip down the road to Bognor is on the cards for new chassis'
 I really need to break this e-bay habit before I get thrown out the house :D

Edited by Andy WD
Spelling, curse of chubby fingers
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Andy WD said:

I was bidding on that as well, beaten to it again! :)

I recently bought a mixed lot of kits and bits, usual GWR 61xx and 2251 included with all wheels. However it also contained a brass 47xx, which must weigh about 2lbs, and Romford wheeled chassis, and an unknown manufacturers etched brass LNWR 0-6-2 Coal Tank kit, basically untouched with two chassis and wheels. Total cost with postage was £38. That should give me enough to play with for a while.....
 No wait, I also seem to have bought 2 old K's Q1's. Looks like a trip down the road to Bognor is on the cards for new chassis'
 I really need to break this e-bay habit before I get thrown out the house :D

Over the past 2 or 3 months I have bought two 2251's simply for the chassis parts.

The first is a bit of a mongrel, being a Jamieson/ Eames body plus a Wills chassis. It cost me 34.50 inc postage has a nicely made Perseverance compensated chassis (00 gauge) Includes unused set of Gibson wheels and crankpins

The second an early Southeastern Finecast with possibly a Perseverance chassis with Romfords and a DS10 motor but only cost £23 inc postage

Certainly the Jamieson/Eames Loco will be moved on as will either the early SEF or one of the existing models I have.

Either way once I deduct the resale amount each will achieve its 2 very cheap sets of etched chassis parts

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a complete with wheels Stevenson Carriages kit of a Clayton Brake Composite Push-Pull Driving Trailer via BIN for far less than Squires want for a kit without wheels. The seller has most of his stuff over-priced so I'm well pleased.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Picked up a complete with wheels Stevenson Carriages kit of a Clayton Brake Composite Push-Pull Driving Trailer via BIN for far less than Squires want for a kit without wheels. The seller has most of his stuff over-priced so I'm well pleased.

Its strange how some sellers price their items, its rare to be the first person to spot something under valued

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Hornby class 92 for £22 including postage. An unusual visitor to my NW England layout. 

Described as Lima hence the low price being realised. 

image.jpg

I no nothing about either RTR models or modern era, but £22 looks a bargain

• Agree 4

I have just received an Albion Models etched brass kit for a MSWJR  4-4-0 loco  (think its now in the Roxey Mouldings range)  The kit has never been unpacked and dates back to a time when things were done differently.

The etches are not only heavy but extremely well packed in card and tissue paper Sellotaped down,  20 pages of instruction sheets, boiler from brass pipe and many turned brass fittings. The whitemetal castings look sharp and were also carefully wrapped

At £65 inc postage certainly good value, the instructions state a RG4 is required, well I do have a spare one in stock

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 6

I recently bought a Roxey K&ESR 2-4-0 kit for Tenterden or Northiam.  A little more than I'd intended to pay at £74, but as it's no longer available from Mr Hammersley, and they are cute little engines, it seemed a fair price.

Advertised as no wheels, fair enough, and that was it as far as I was concerned. Pictures weren't really great, but it looked untouched from the amount I could see.

Upon opening, a selection of Markits detailing parts, handrail knobs etc, and a brand new Mashima 1224, so that saved me about £30 I guess.

The only other thing it came without was the instructions. If anybody has a set a copy would be appreciated if possible! (I shall ask in the Wanted section as well).

I've e-mailed Dave at Roxey, but without any response.

Not the bargain of the century, but it made me happy.

(And now I can model Buggleskelly.....does anybody make a 4mm Will Hay? :) )

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Some time ago I bid for a Model Rail Sentinel 0-4-0VBT. I was unsuccessful and it went for more than I was prepared to pay. A few weeks later the same locomotive was up for sale and I got it for £80, these models are usually £100 plus. It turned out that the gears were very noisy but a look at the service sheet where it tells you to oil the gears before use. This I did and now it runs like a sewing machine.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Do I need a J50 Kit? No.

Could I resist this one? Also No.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384451390605

It's even an older one that comes with Romford wheels :) I've been trying not to buy anything recently but sometimes the urge is too much....

So much better than the K's version, the real early kits came with a gearbox and motor !!  these will set you back a pretty penny now. I have a growing selection of DJH kits now, great quality but a bit of a pain to convert into EM gauge, plus so expensive now. I was tempted to have a dabble with this one but have no use for it. The wheels alone will cost nearly £50 these days

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not on e-bay but at a local swap meet. I found five BEC tram motor bogies at £2.50 each, I asked the vendor for a price and he asked for £10 and money changed hands. These motor bogies start at £12 upwards each.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 4

A good buy is yet to be established, but yesterday I won what was described as an 0-4-0 whitemetal kit condition was a good runner in both directions. The main photo was very poor ( under exposed) but it looked like a LSWR (side tank) B4. The third photo was the underside, which was clearly looking like brass footplates, buffer beams and steps and an etched brass chassis. Its more difficult with the photos to say what the body is made of but the signs are its brass

But anyway at £41 for a kit built good runner is fine and certainly has a decent chassis. My guess is that its a Jedinco kit

Another lot ending a bit later for two locos comprised of an unbuilt Falcon Brass LSWR/SR 02 and what looks like a Jedinco unbuilt 0-4-0 ( 0458 ? ) saddle tank (no box or instructions). These two were unbuilt kits without wheels, motor or gears and the latter a very rare kit but they went for £218

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Contrary to fairly widespread usage, it's Jidenco, not Jedinco.

CJI.

To quote a famous comedian

All the right letters but in the wrong order.!!

I always thought it was a Jed  rather than a Jid  sorry and thanks

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

At the end of last month I said I won a M&SWJR 4-4-0 loco, today an unboxed buy complete NuCast M&SWJR 2-4-0 arrived, all parts still sealed up, it stated the tender chassis was missing. However the photos showed the etched tender chassis, the loco chassis (thankfully) was behind it. I paid just under half the new price + postage £44.66 which I think is reasonable. A photocopy of the exploded diagrams included but no historical data. No plans for a M&SWJR layout just a couple more obscure GWR locos

Also I bought an unbuilt Southeastern Finecast GER/LNER  J67/69 for £55, there was an unbuilt Wills body kit which sold for £33.50, given the chassis kits are now £40 plus the SEF kit has extra castings again a decent price. I am in a real quandary over this one I have a cameo layout in mind and was going for an EM gauge layout, I may stick with 00(SF) with it

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

With their new (useless) classification system, I cannot find anything that I might be remotely interested in.

You just have to look harder, eg search loco kits or kit built locos as an example. There are a couple of other actions but whether most would be bothered is another subject

A note to sellers is you have to work harder to make your item visible/easy to find

Having said this well presented lots are fetching good money, so there is an upside 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1