Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

I had a couple of buys on eBay over the weekend, the first was delivered yesterday

attachicon.gif242.jpeg

A 7mm  Slaters Pug missing a few bits, dry as a bone and rusty wheels and coupling rods, a quick oil and the loco works, does as can be seen needs a major clean, a few bits scratch building and castings bought

In the same package/lot came some Backwoods frets

attachicon.gif242.jpeg

Happens to be most of the etchings for a Garratt K19 body, no chassis or castings other than a few chassis bits in a bag. But my expectations for these from the photos were quite low. 

The frets were kindly Identified for me from the previous Backwoods owner. My initial thoughts before I knew what it was to kit bash the parts if spares were unavailable (could be made into a tank loco with a bogie or two). This small Garratt (if Garratts could be said to be small) is quite cute and perhaps I could build it a fashion the bogies from something like a High Level motorised bogie or two and find a few castings to fit. Its a very tempting project, but have I too many already ?

On the other hand just pass it on to someone who both requires one and has the skills to build it properly.

Still on the whole an interesting and pleasing find, just await the other parcel, which was also a bit of a punt but not in the same way, its something which I paid the correct price, unless there is something extra about it/them

I'd had a look at that one. But I think I've had done enough salvage work this year with my 1262.

• Like 1

I'd had a look at that one. But I think I've had done enough salvage work this year with my 1262.

I must admit to being a bit board and going slightly over £3.50) my initial maximum bid, however it was the best £3.50 I have spent. The more I think about it I think I must thin out some items which I have put aside for future projects and the Garratt will have to go unless something is sacrificed. The good thing is there are some brass castings which includes 4 cast brass crossheads, 2 will go on to the Beatie Well Tank

I really would like to build the Garratt but firstly the body is doubled skinned and I do not have a RSU and the powered bogies, a step too far for me, not forgetting it was the pug that interested me and what I based my bid on

He had to shut down due to his wife's ill health. Not sure if anyone's bid to take over the range, but it's a deathly silence since he closed.

I'm not entirely sure but I understand the 00n3 stuff is to be taken over by someone else (i.e. an existing manufacturer), although now I can't remember who. As far as I know the future of other parts of the range (including 009 and 7mm NG) remains unclear.

Edited by 009 micro modeller

It would be a shame to lose the Irish NG.

Nevile Kent of N Drive has taken over the Irish and contractors parts of the range with some of them being re-relased late this year or early next.

John Bruce.

Whether this is a good buy or not, I was pleased to bag this for £50. I don't need it. I'll never use it. I just love it! Oh, it's all pretty mint too. The loco runs quietly but will benefit from a service shortly. And then it'll go back into its box.....

I'll dump the plastic foam too.

43319316361_b89ceb1ed7.jpg

43319317501_11fb6972a7.jpg

43319315291_463b8d8f85.jpg

43319317861_ed67d16c5b.jpg

Tony

• Like 9

Second package arrived with a healthy supply of 8'6" ply sleepers and 2 packs of timbers at about 1/3 of EMGS prices, so that part of the gamble paid off.

The second part was a Southeastern Finecast T9 for £25 + postage, sadly no chassis but all the parts still wrapped up in their packages and a good saving as they retail at £60 + postage

Just bought fout 7 mm Slaters 6 wheeled MR coaches, 3 part built but all 4 missing parts, some missing some minor bits, others a few more one un-built and in need a the most parts, cost me just over £100 inc postage, three will cost will be minimal, the cost of the 4th will be dependant on the level of scratch building I am happy to do, but as these coaches are £86 each new I have a bit of a leeway, but most of all a 5 coach train for my Flatiron 

Second package arrived with a healthy supply of 8'6" ply sleepers and 2 packs of timbers at about 1/3 of EMGS prices, so that part of the gamble paid off.....

Yes, I happened upon a joblot recently which contained quite a lot of EM parts, so I've had to put those back on eBay individually - fortunately people do want them - whilst keeping the bits that I wanted (mainly various types of crankpin).

• Like 1

Yes, I happened upon a joblot recently which contained quite a lot of EM parts, so I've had to put those back on eBay individually - fortunately people do want them - whilst keeping the bits that I wanted (mainly various types of crankpin).

I am a great believer in buying lots which have parts in I want, never worry about the rest as I value my bids on the value to me of the items I want plus a bit for those I don't want, then relist the surplus items, someone always wants them that is if the price is right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am a great believer in buying lots which have parts in I want, never worry about the rest as I value my bids on the value to me of the items I want plus a bit for those I don't want, then relist the surplus items, someone always wants them that is if the price is right.

Me too, currently winging my way is an assortment of old Matchbox, Husky and Impy models but included in the lot are four Minix cars two of which are quite rare and well worth the £16 paid.

Me too, currently winging my way is an assortment of old Matchbox, Husky and Impy models but included in the lot are four Minix cars two of which are quite rare and well worth the £16 paid.

Depending on how many of Match Box cars there are, I guess the net cost after selling the unwanted items will be minimal, the only draw back may be the cost of postage on cheap items, might be worth either selling in smaller lots or not charging extra postage on multi buys. Even at £8 each the Minix cars ( to me providing they are the "Motorway " powered versions are cheap

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Depending on how many of Match Box cars there are, I guess the net cost after selling the unwanted items will be minimal, the only draw back may be the cost of postage on cheap items, might be worth either selling in smaller lots or not charging extra postage on multi buys. Even at £8 each the Minix cars ( to me providing they are the "Motorway " powered versions are cheap

Postage was £3:50, the Minix cars are worth at least £5 each. Also in the pile is an Impy Foden 8 wheeler chassis/cab and some unidentified 00/H0 trucks.

I've had a good week on EBay and not selling for once.

Two GW Clerestories near mint for £30, two mint B-set coaches for just over £40 and best of all a DCC Hattons 14xx for under £100 inc postage.

All paid for from the loot from selling some other OO stuff.

• Like 3

Spied a Bachmann 9F Evening Star (one of the first batch c 2006) in "mint" condition Buy it Now £135 or Make an offer - £95 rejected, £115 rejected. Left it alone at that  then got a message from the seller he would accept £115. Arrived, difficult to say it has ever been used to any extent, detail pack unopened :sungum: but missing etched plates :umbrage: Ouch 5p under a tender from Jackson Evans - back to Ebay and another seller offering a pack of plates for £7.50.

• Like 1

Spied a Bachmann 9F Evening Star (one of the first batch c 2006) in "mint" condition Buy it Now £135 or Make an offer - £95 rejected, £115 rejected. Left it alone at that  then got a message from the seller he would accept £115. ....

I bought a wrecked Evening Star, with valve gear in a separate box, and without tender, some years ago. Think it set me back about sixty quid.

• Like 1

Spied a Bachmann 9F Evening Star (one of the first batch c 2006) in "mint" condition Buy it Now £135 or Make an offer - £95 rejected, £115 rejected. Left it alone at that  then got a message from the seller he would accept £115. Arrived, difficult to say it has ever been used to any extent, detail pack unopened :sungum: but missing etched plates :umbrage: Ouch 5p under a tender from Jackson Evans - back to Ebay and another seller offering a pack of plates for £7.50.

247 developments have them @ £6.50 plus postage etc (these are the bachman ones as well)

• Like 2

247 developments have them @ £6.50 plus postage etc (these are the bachman ones as well)

Thanks, bit annoyed now as fitting the 9F with a decoder this morning from somewhere appeared another pack of nameplates.  As I had scoured the box and the paperwork originally  I am a bit baffled where they were hiding. Anyone need a set?

Edited by Butler Henderson

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought an untouched Pro-Scale LNWR Watford tank etch brass loco kit which cost £55 inc postage, being bought up close to Watford I have a soft spot for these, despite being the wrong region and scale, will build to P4 gauge to run on my cameo layout. Perhaps not a really good buy, but then when a GEM locos come back to the market they will still be dearer and far more difficult to get P4 clearances with whitemetal castings

• Like 1

Only a day has passed (they say a fool and his money are easily parted) and a  DJH LSWR/SR H15 part built loco kit came along. For years I thought DJH kits were a cut above others, reading some posts on here suggest differently. Looking on the DJH site this kit is not listed, but an S15 is retailing at £135 + £66 for wheels + motor of choice, so at a cost of less than a set of wheels £45.95 inc postage on the face of it well under a quarter of MRRP and I guess as a backup wheels motor and gears could be sold on eBay to recoup costs, also has transfers, but wrong era for me

Why the H15, two fold as I am modelling the west country and as I have an 0 gauge H15 kit to build, this part built kit will form a great learning curve with building the Walschaerts valve gear in 4 mm scale before doing the same in 7 mm scale

The kit has a finished tender in lined out BR black livery, loco body is built and painted black, but paint job a bit suspect. Chassis only has wheels and coupling rods fitted, there is a Mashima DS10 motor but in my opinion a bit too small, also the coupling rods are one piece. Certainly motor needs upgrading and perhaps the coupling rods. I will await the kit arriving but quite pleased with a complete kit for under £50

Not too up on what livery this mixed class loco carried, hopefully one of the greens

• RMweb Gold

Maybe not the mainstream interest on this thread, but I picked up a Faller Schwarzburg station for less than £30, already assembled. Not only that, it is lit, and has multiple passengers and parcels on the platform, including a bloke on a small fork-lift. Most windows have a colourful floral display beneath them. Had I bought the kit new, I would have paid nearly £80.

The model is a pretty fair reproduction of the real station, still extant in Thuringia, and as the prototype of the HOm Harz layout it is intended for runs into that state, not too much of an imagination stretch.

• Like 2