Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday went to the Chelmsford and District MRC's show. Lots of narrow gauge layouts which I enjoyed plus the clubs 0 gauge layout which duly impressed, a pleasing show which has a completely different charm to the larges scale/society shows,

What's this got to do with a good buy, well I found 3 Kirk SR coaches, partly painted which I snapped up for £10. I then found 2 packs of Slaters 7 mm coupling rods, a Skinley 7 mm plan of a LMS Sentinal Steam rail car, 4 brass 7 mm loco frame spacers, 2 wooden roofs and one floor (Ratio or CCW) all for £4 then at a s/h book stall the Peco Publication Jack Ray's a lifetime with 0 gauge for £1. I arrived late at about midday so not as I was breaking the door down to get these gems

I picked up a few wees ago some Slaters 7 mm wheels and chassis, I was going to but the frame spacers (as the chassis was missing 2) from Markits where one would cost me more than the lot. The coupling rods are £15 a pack and should be able to alter them to the desired length as they are laminated, the wooden roofs and floor will come in handy repairing some wooden coach bits I have, and the plan will be framed up for my new railway room.

The moral of the story, go and support your local shows

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Last Saturday went to the Chelmsford and District MRC's show. Lots of narrow gauge layouts which I enjoyed plus the clubs 0 gauge layout which duly impressed, a pleasing show which has a completely different charm to the larges scale/society shows,

What's this got to do with a good buy, well I found 3 Kirk SR coaches, partly painted which I snapped up for £10. I then found 2 packs of Slaters 7 mm coupling rods, a Skinley 7 mm plan of a LMS Petrol rail car, 4 brass 7 mm loco frame spacers, 2 wooden roofs and one floor (Ratio or CCW) all for £4 then at a s/h book stall the Peco Publication Jack Ray's a lifetime with 0 gauge for £1. I arrived late at about midday so not as I was breaking the door down to get these gems

I picked up a few wees ago some Slaters 7 mm wheels and chassis, I was going to but the frame spacers (as the chassis was missing 2) from Markits where one would cost me more than the lot. The coupling rods are £15 a pack and should be able to alter them to the desired length as they are laminated, the wooden roofs and floor will come in handy repairing some wooden coach bits I have, and the plan will be framed up for my new railway room.

The moral of the story, go and support your local shows

I also arrived late at the show, the only problem was the only free paint left was gold or silver.

I also arrived late at the show, the only problem was the only free paint left was gold or silver.

Same for me, I took a couple of pots of each, one for the wife the other for my daughter as both do the odd bit of painting and crafting. Seasonal paint for them. No idea if any other colours were available

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Same for me, I took a couple of pots of each, one for the wife the other for my daughter as both do the odd bit of painting and crafting. Seasonal paint for them. No idea if any other colours were available

I took some pots of silver for myself and so did my friends 9-year-old son who is now in deep doo-dah for not covering the table with newspaper before he used it.

Saw a lot on eBay, 4F I think, seemed of etched brass (been stripper of paint) construction but had been dismantled and the chassis had been damaged. Anyway there were a set of (20 mm) Romfords, a Mashima motor and a Highlevel gearbox. The owner said he tried to refurbish the loco. Well at £30 inc postage thought the parts were well worth it and could sell the loco. Then remembered I have a compensated EM gauge chassis with a Mashima motor and gears

Then as just a passing thought there was a K's Terrier, sadly an older version with the better motor and wheels as I want to EM one but feel the chassis is far more valuable to some one else with a more modern chassis with knackered wheels and motor. Still only £24 inc postage and I do have a spare Nucast chassis, I do have some Romfords in the wheel box and K's mk 1 & 2 motors in the spares box, the loco is too badly built and painted as is but I find its better to build around the chassis.

As for paint stripping, find either paint stripper or caustic soda work well, but the American restorers seem to freeze metal which shrinks and sheds the paint, anybody tried this or is it just harder metal that shrinks enough

The 4F arrived and is a Brassmasters in a bit of a sad state, still Mashima motor with a Highlevel 2 stage gearbox and a set of 20 mm Markit wheels. The loco body has been badly paint stripper with several parts becoming un-soldered and the chassis is slightly damaged, still the parts I wanted are fine, the kit is a far better quality kit than I expected and should recoupe some of what I paid for the whole lot

I also received the Keyser Terrier, better built than I thought but heavily painted. The chassis needs a complete clean and oil, the motor smokes which may just be down to grot on the armature, if not I have a spare motor. The good news is its all the older pre-plastic wheels and motor, will it convert to EM ? not too sure, the first job will be to find the Nucast chassis and build it to EM gauge

Finally I received a lot of  street lamps and signals and yard lamps (cost about a tenner) three of us have been asked to decorate a Christmas tree with a model railway theme at the local parish Church's Christmas tree festival, thought these may make a nice decoration either on the 009, 00 or 0-16.5 loop (hoping to have three loops each with a different scale/gauge running

• Like 3

Just a hint of the condition of said 4F

post-1131-0-16818500-1509700055.jpeg

Most of it just needs a good clean and the paers which have become un-soldered, soldered

post-1131-0-04713200-1509700096.jpeg

A few bits flapping around, nothing a soldering iron cannon remedy

post-1131-0-91379000-1509700117.jpeg

The chassis is the main issue, I would go for at least new mainframes if not a new chassis. Those who like to fettle, could with a little skill fit new etched hornblock guides.

Now on eBay  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122789051664?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649 with a full set of photos

Not for the faint hearted 

• Like 2

I'm certainly interested - it would be good for parts, and I can always approach Brassmasters for the possibility of new chassis frets if I were minded to resurrect it. They were very helpful in providing new frets for the Rebuilt Royal Scot at modest cost.

The chassis frames in your photos are, sadly, a write-off as they are distorted and the o/s trailing axle position is completely missing.

• Like 2

The trailing axle bit is in the photo, that's why I suggested either a new chassis/mainframes or perhaps using etched hornblock guides.

The Brassmasters site is very good and below is a link to the drawings for the loco

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/4F%20assembly%20drawings.htm

My other thought was that certain parts could be used with other kits. 

It certainly would make a nice project for the long winter nights ahead of us, only for a competent modeller, a definite NO NO for a novice.

I do actually have an EM gauge compensated chassis made from I think an Alan Gibson set of frames, but hoping they will fit a Wills SR Q class loco also a set of Alan Gibson 3F frames. The 4F was built to 00 gauge, could a set of Gibson frames be sweated on to the existing chassis? though if Brassmasters are willing to sell a chassis etch that seems the best solution

Which is why I'm keen to strip it for the inside motion assemblies.

With the progress on the house renovation/expansion having taken much longer than expected all I have been able to do is look for bits and pieces, so frustrating !! Still work on the railway room recommences next Friday with the removal of the wall which separates the part of the room in the old house with the new extension, perhaps by the new year It will be ready for model making and a layout. 

• Like 2

Possibly a good buy given they seem to go for over £140 all the time, Bachmann NRM City of Truro for £90 inc Postage. Was oddly renumbered to City of London (although the front bufferbeam number was left untouched[i know it should not be there]) but the plates have knocked off quite easily and although the original plates are missing I have a set originally intended for the GBL model. Slight glue marks immediately below where the cab side plates were which is why I saying "possibly" as I really would like to shift them - have a tube of plastic polish which I think I will try before some T-cut equivalent. Also has a broken brake handle handle (assuming that makes sense) but they are pretty delicate thinks and I think my Dukedog has the same issue so it looks like a bulk buy of Markits brass one on the cards.

Possibly a good buy given they seem to go for over £140 all the time, Bachmann NRM City of Truro for £90 inc Postage. Was oddly renumbered to City of London (although the front bufferbeam number was left untouched[i know it should not be there]) but the plates have knocked off quite easily and although the original plates are missing I have a set originally intended for the GBL model. Slight glue marks immediately below where the cab side plates were which is why I saying "possibly" as I really would like to shift them - have a tube of plastic polish which I think I will try before some T-cut equivalent. Also has a broken brake handle handle (assuming that makes sense) but they are pretty delicate thinks and I think my Dukedog has the same issue so it looks like a bulk buy of Markits brass one on the cards.

Saving a third off the retail price is very good, many change names and or numbers on locos they pay full price for, and decent metal parts far superior to plastic ones  :good_mini:

£29.99 for a Thompson Suburban brake third in maroon, not exactly bargain of the century, but I consider it a good buy when the average is getting on toward £40.

New as well :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

I was dragged into one of those second hand shops described as an antique centre, fascinated by brand new  Swarovski or similar branded clocks which both plat tunes and have the clock faces spinning round on the hour. Found a model railway shop though but it was closed. Then there was a shop selling 0 gauge Tinplate stock and Dinky cars, but on the bottom shelf there was a Roxey Mouldings GWR 4 wheeled Metro brake second kit for £10, then saw a Blacksmiths GWR 50' all third clearstory coach for £20, finally a MSE GWR/ Taff Vale horse box for £10. Bank card came straight out. All 3 etched kits and untouched, Did not have the neck to ask for bulk discount. 

Also found a garden centre/ nursery we have been looking for which has very competitive prices, its set up really for wholesale (landscape gardeners) than retail with prices reflecting this

• Like 2

I was dragged into one of those second hand shops described as an antique centre, fascinated by brand new  Swarovski or similar branded clocks which both plat tunes and have the clock faces spinning round on the hour. Found a model railway shop though but it was closed. Then there was a shop selling 0 gauge Tinplate stock and Dinky cars, but on the bottom shelf there was a Roxey Mouldings GWR 4 wheeled Metro brake second kit for £10, then saw a Blacksmiths GWR 50' all third clearstory coach for £20, finally a MSE GWR/ Taff Vale horse box for £10. Bank card came straight out. All 3 etched kits and untouched, Did not have the neck to ask for bulk discount. 

Also found a garden centre/ nursery we have been looking for which has very competitive prices, its set up really for wholesale (landscape gardeners) than retail with prices reflecting this

Care to share where these places are?