Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

I bought the " red Dragon and other old friends" book for £20. It's making my likeness for pre tops diesels fade quite considerably, in favour of gwr steam!

GWR steam continued to flourish for some years alongside green diesels. Many of us find that crossover or transition era 'convenient'. The only downside to a shift in interest may be related to your personal finances.

• RMweb Gold

GWR steam continued to flourish for some years alongside green diesels. Many of us find that crossover or transition era 'convenient'. The only downside to a shift in interest may be related to your personal finances.

I know, I've just been pricing up a kit for a g2 and it's looking quite likely I'll buy one then start looking at former gw types.

'. I think there was a kit for the Class 40 as well, but I have yet to see one of those too.....

Yes there certainly was and it was the best of all of his kits. I think Tim Shakleton built one in a very early MRJ

You will have to get one!

Cheers Tony

Yes there certainly was and it was the best of all of his kits. I think Tim Shakleton built one in a very early MRJ

You will have to get one!

Could be years before a 40 turns up, just as I waited years for the 08 and now the 47 to pop up.

EDIT: Thought: those are the only three full kits that MOK produced in 4mm scale, if I remember correctly. Back in about 2010 when Dave Sharp was thinking about whether to resurrect the 08, albeit updated, I did ask him whether it might be possible to re-run either the 40, 47, or both and he replied that he no longer had any useable artwork (the originals were hand-drawn) for those.

The 08 kit resurrection is still on the MOK webpages, but I'm beginning to think that - at least 7 years after first mooted - it's not going to happen.

Here's the 47:

post-6879-0-76561800-1498300554_thumb.jpeg

post-6879-0-80586200-1498300593_thumb.jpeg

post-6879-0-90829900-1498300649_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Horsetan

• 3 weeks later...

....Whenever I see your username as the most recent in this topic, I've come to expect that the next words will at least include 'Portescap' or 'RG4' :jester:

The door to a Portescap RG4 is always open here. Of that you can be sure.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It pays to research what you are buying. Some weeks back I boasted about buying 5 Bulleids, from the Lawrence/Goddard stable, and was highly delighted with them when they turned up. So when I saw the same seller was offering a dining car with the same credentials and an even better price - jumped in directly. The Southern tended to operate restaurant facilities as a two-car set, the other one being the kitchen, so when his next item was just that, I paid up for that too, without closely looking at the pictures. Oh, dear! Nothing misleading in the ad, and the quality will still be impeccable, but a bit of sleuthing through Mike King's book of Southern Coaches drew a blank. The painted number is for a Bulleid kitchen car, but this vehicle isn't Bulleid but Maunsell. Slowly the truth dawned - I am about to receive a 4-Res EMU restaurant-kitchen....... I imagine the original client asked for the deception of numbering, and the esteemed painter obeyed his wishes. Customers are customers.

Since Halwill Junction only actually saw dining cars on high days and holidays - most being detached at Exeter Central - this set is, like my Pullmans, only a bit of whimsical diversity, and will not form part of regular services. And it is a lovely rendition of course. But Halwill is a long way from the Portsmouth Direct. Oh, well. 

• Like 1

I have just won 3 lots off the same seller, just read the description from the seller and the first two are left over etchings from a loco builder who modelled Southern region, the third lot is a Kirk low window Maunsell coach and a Ratio bogie utility van. Postage should have been £3.99 x 3, seller only charged £3.99

The first two lots being etched frets, mostly used with some remaining items but I could see some interesting items

First lot seemed to have an 0-4-0T chassis (Jedinco ?) an 0-6-0 loco and tender chassis (more in the style of Branchlines) and a 4-4=0 tender loco chassis two lots of motion parts, even some etched parts which look for a 7 mm wagon  Mine for £13.35

The second lot was what caught my eye was a body etch for an 0-4-0T loco B4?, then 2 tender etches (LSWR?) An 0-6-0 tender loco body etch and 2 rolled smoke box and boiler etches, all look to be Jedinco. quite a few used etches, including 3 x Southern Pride coach handle etches This time £18.87

No cast fittings at all but it was the 0-4-0 which caught my eye, no boiler or smoke box but I guess I can get a brass tube of the correct size, this was what I wanted and I could see at worst there was an 0-6-0 tender engine frets to sell plus a second tender etch and a chassis I could dispose of.

Part of the fun with this is to see the potential in linking two lots together and then seeing what can be reunited 

I thought the coach and utility van were worth a punt as It was from the same seller, they cost £3.20

I will wait for the items to come and give then a sort out, all my books are in storage which is a pain

I always think chassis, coupling and connecting rods come in handy, so on the lookout for this type of item, as recently bought an old Eames M7 without coupling rods as well as a Pannier tank also requiring some, both items in my spares selection.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry

What did you think you could see then > and was it the 0-4-0 you were after?

Don't be sorry John! I got 'fat finger'!

Well it was an 0-4-0 (industrial?) cab/rear etch that caught my eye  and l thought that l saw a pair of LBSCR (K /H2) Maunsell cab sides/parts.

Don't be sorry John! I got 'fat finger'!

Well it was an 0-4-0 (industrial?) cab/rear etch that caught my eye  and l thought that l saw a pair of LBSCR (K /H2) Maunsell cab sides/parts.

Thanks for the thoughts

The tender loco has an 0-6-0 footplate, perhaps an 01, but the 0-6-0 chassis is far superior to the normal Jedinco offerings

The 0-4-0 when taking the chassis into consideration I think is an Adams B4

There is a 4-4-0 chassis, a longer boiler and a second tender which may have caused confusion 

Above described parcel arrived today, quite q weight in etches many just having a few left over bits, plus the 2 coaches, if anyone can either confirm or correct my thoughts please do

post-1131-0-64328100-1499856346.jpg

I think this is a SR B4 by jedinco

post-1131-0-60052100-1499856353.jpg

Possibly an 01 ?

post-1131-0-28567600-1499856365.jpg

Closer view of the body

post-1131-0-43815200-1499856374.jpg

Above and below two tenders, think the above one best matches the tender chassis

post-1131-0-53069600-1499856388.jpg

post-1131-0-68062000-1499856395.jpg

Spare 4-4 0 chassis  40 mm (10') wheelbase Etch nothing to do with the chassis, bogie about 40mm from the front bogie centre and 25 mm wheelbase

Small tender chassis  21mm x 21mm wheelbase

The spare etches have plenty of bits like coupling rods, brake gear, lamp irons, bogies etc, plus some 7mm spare bits 

Edited by hayfield

....attachicon.gif118.jpg

I think this is a SR B4 by jedinco

Yes, that's a B4 tank alright. Lucky you. You can obtain castings for it from SEF nowadays, as they took over the old McGowan kit and revamped it.

I've been looking for a B4 on the "someday" list for many years. There was supposed to have been a DMR kit for it at some stage, but I suspect it died when Phoenix took over.

attachicon.gif119.jpg

Possibly an 01 ?

attachicon.gif120.jpg

Closer view of the body

attachicon.gif121.jpg

Above and below two tenders, think the above one best matches the tender chassis

attachicon.gif122.jpg

attachicon.gif123.jpg

I happen to have both a Falcon (ex-Jidenco) "O1" and a "C", so I'll get the samples out when I get home and compare them to your photos. The etched footplate and cab in theory would be a better bet for upgrading the Branchlines O1 kit which suffers from indifferent body castings.

If you need instructions - such as they are - for either the "O1" or "C", I'm sure I can provide you with a copy.

Edited by Horsetan

Yes, that's a B4 tank alright. Lucky you. You can obtain castings for it from SEF nowadays, as they took over the old McGowan kit and revamped it.

I've been looking for a B4 on the "someday" list for many years. There was supposed to have been a DMR kit for it at some stage, but I suspect it died when Phoenix took over.

I happen to have both a Falcon (ex-Jidenco) "O1" and a "C", so I'll get the samples out when I get home and compare them to your photos. The etched footplate and cab in theory would be a better bet for upgrading the Branchlines O1 kit which suffers from indifferent body castings.

If you need instructions - such as they are - for either the "O1" or "C", I'm sure I can provide you with a copy.

Ivan, yes please if you could and thanks for the info. Thanks for the confirmation, my reference books are still in storage so having to rely on Google and wild guesses 

Ivan, yes please if you could and thanks for the info. Thanks for the confirmation, my reference books are still in storage so having to rely on Google and wild guesses

The top photo of the two tenders is definitely for the O1, by the way, which confirms my initial suspicion that you have landed an O1.

The second tender: God only knows. Looks vaguely SECR.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

I managed to pick up a kit-built ex-Cambrian Railways 2-4-0 tank engine DCC fitted for £88 for the Dolgellau Model Railway layout, which one of our members has now repainted into a more accurate shade of 1930s GWR livery.  It was a bit of an impulse buy, I knew the loco was ex-Cambrian and we want to have a few GWR locos to be able to display how the station would have looked pre-war, but it was a bit of a risk being kit-built and DCC chipped as if the DCC was not up to scratch it would be difficult to replace.  However, it turned out to be a good buy.  It's a cracking little loco that runs superbly and given it is such a small wheelbase, doesn't stall unlike our Bachmann Collett 0-6-0.  The real life 1197 was mainly confined to the Llanfyllin branch by the 1930s but was based at Oswestry, and was photographed in Dolgellau so will be a great addition to the layout.

Just shows you can still get the odd bargain if you are patient.

35766108022_27a564e7f7_h.jpg1197 by wombatofludham, on Flickr

• Like 3