Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171923724193?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Can anyone shed any light on the identity of this? I've made a bit of a punt on it...

Paul A. 

I would go for a Unimog from one of the HO manufacturers, sans body.

This one?

http://www.reynaulds.com/products/Roco/45972.aspx

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

Had a bit of a spending spree over the weekend, all three items are quite different and bought for a range of reasons

The first was a DC Kits class 81, living very close to the West Coast main line for the first 35 years I can remember these locos coming into service painted blue with white roof cab roofs (not a yellow warning panel anywhere). This will be built for sentimental reasons and may end up static. Happy with the£25.50 it cost in total

Next was a part made kit for a Thompson L1 2-6-4T. Brass chassis Romford wheels MRRC 5 pole motor and a K's HMP2 motor plus a few other bits, all for less than a set of Romford Wheels £17.66, it stated collection from Surrey so even with £5 to £10 worth of petrol worth the money, even better buyer offered to post it so I gave him £6 to send it and cover Paypal fees (he preferred cash). Why did I buy it, well I do like large tank locos (rather collecting them)

Finally a set (3) of Langley 4 wheel Glynn Valley Tramway coaches in 0-16.5 for £50.30 inc postage, I do have 3 of these tram locos so have the correct coaches for them. Better start off loading a few other older bits as I should be downsizing  

• Like 2

.....Next was a part made kit for a Thompson L1 2-6-4T. Brass chassis Romford wheels MRRC 5 pole motor and a K's HMP2 motor plus a few other bits, all for less than a set of Romford Wheels £17.66,.....

That sounds like the former ECJS (now ABS) kit. The only thing that's ever changed in the life of it (I think it was created in the 1970s) is the labelling on the box. Probably superseded by today's Hornby RTR version.

Horsetan

Thanks for the info, sounds like the type I can build, the wheels, 2 motors, loco lamps and a few other extras are worth what I paid , the loco is a bonus !!

The MRRC 5 pole XO5 replacement is always useful, and fetch £10+ and believe it the K's HMP2 also has a following.

The Class 81 I am looking forward to, been looking to buy a Hornby one, perhaps High level do something in the range of motor bogies

.....believe it the K's HMP2 also has a following.....

Depends which generation you've got. The very last type (quite small, with black plastic "gear cradle" sides) was horrific - very high revving, no bearings to speak of, and a distinct tendency to run hot/burn out. It might have been just about acceptable in a small tank engine, but it was also supplied with K's heaviest "big engine" kits  - the equivalent of putting a two-stroke Trabant engine in a limo.

Depends which generation you've got. The very last type (quite small, with black plastic "gear cradle" sides) was horrific - very high revving, no bearings to speak of, and a distinct tendency to run hot/burn out. It might have been just about acceptable in a small tank engine, but it was also supplied with K's heaviest "big engine" kits  - the equivalent of putting a two-stroke Trabant engine in a limo.

Yep

That's the beast with the inbuilt (can't use the word gearbox) axle mounting with the axle gear wheel. As you say better for the smallest loco etc. Will be destined for a Keyser collector or someone wanting to replace a burnt out one.

Well the kit arrived very quickly, both motors work very well. The H&M Duette came in handy, high resistance and half wave tamed the little K's

Will also do a head count on how many MRRC motors I have as I might also move this one on

A quick look in the box and the loco looks to be complete, its the ABS version , may have to buy a new motion set as some of the etched parts may be missing, I do have an Eames set which might fit. No instructions though. Chassis looks well built and has Romford wheels

Also a pack of LNER and a pack of SR loco lamps and some K's plastic sprues, 2 are the plastic screws 2 are from one of the wagons

All in all very pleased

The Class 81 arrived, has been started and the work to date is a bit heavy, as there is a stick of (Eames) low melt solder a bit of boiling water may sort it out. Still nothing a bit of cleaning up should be all that's needed.

I've just picked up recent tooling Farish 08 and class 20, PLUS a rolling road and a few sundries for £41.

Best bargain for a while.

Neil

How do you find these bargains? Envious face

Edited by leopardml2341

Had a bit of a spending spree over the weekend, all three items are quite different and bought for a range of reasons

The first was a DC Kits class 81, living very close to the West Coast main line for the first 35 years I can remember these locos coming into service painted blue with white roof cab roofs (not a yellow warning panel anywhere). This will be built for sentimental reasons and may end up static. Happy with the£25.50 it cost in total

Next was a part made kit for a Thompson L1 2-6-4T. Brass chassis Romford wheels MRRC 5 pole motor and a K's HMP2 motor plus a few other bits, all for less than a set of Romford Wheels £17.66, it stated collection from Surrey so even with £5 to £10 worth of petrol worth the money, even better buyer offered to post it so I gave him £6 to send it and cover Paypal fees (he preferred cash). Why did I buy it, well I do like large tank locos (rather collecting them)

Finally a set (3) of Langley 4 wheel Glynn Valley Tramway coaches in 0-16.5 for £50.30 inc postage, I do have 3 of these tram locos so have the correct coaches for them. Better start off loading a few other older bits as I should be downsizing  

The Glyn Valley coaches arrived today, etches still as packed by Langley along with the castings and instructions. Well £89 worth for £47 and very pleased with the quality of the etchings

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

An unusual one: a Märklin bevel-and-spur gearbox, as used in their Würtemberg C pacific, for £11. This is what it looks like inside:

post-6879-0-13924500-1443009734.jpg

One of the very rare occasions when a RTR manufacturer has put such a drive system in a model - the recently introduced DB Br.45 2-10-2 is another example.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

I recently bought a Lima DMU converted in to the LoadHaul class 122 route learning car, it was on eBay for a while, and if I remember right started at a much higher price, I saw it, kept looking back, and wasn't sure, it was a better conversion than I could have done, but not a great finish (brushed), and the large hi-res images didn't do it any favours.  Anyway, I took a punt, it arrived, was quickly fitted with SEF flushglazing which improved it no end, and with cleaned wheels, was put on the track and... ran beautifully, right down to a slow crawl.  It passes the three-feet-away test, and is something a bit different for my new depot mini-layout, so very happy with it!

Its not the first Lima loco I've bough on eBay thats turned out to be good like that, I bought a few from someone a few years back selling their late father's collection, they were unboxed and so below the usual price, he'd gone to the trouble of replacing some of the couplings with smaller Bachmann-type ones, which I took as a good sign, and when they arrived realised they were all repained to a high standard, and again ran perfectly.

An unusual one: a Märklin bevel-and-spur gearbox, as used in their Würtemberg C pacific, for £11. This is what it looks like inside:

attachicon.gifgetriebe.jpg

Gearbox turned up today. It really is a beautiful combination of gears which spin with very little resistance - like a hot knife through warm butter - and shows what RTR manufacturers can do if they put their minds to it.

What this one needs now is a motor - coreless, natch - with a small 8T cog on the driveshaft, and a final spur on the driving axle. Ultrascale might have something that can be adapted.

Not from eBay this time but from the Scaleforum bring and buy table. An Airfix 3/4F body (no tender) and a P4 chassis, the chassis is in need of a tinker as its not working, either the coupling rods are out and of plunger pickups (I can never make these work) All for a tenner

Its an Alan Gibson chassis, with sprung hornblocks and plunger pickups, a D11 motor, mount and gears. Set of P4 wheels and brake blocks.

Must decide the best way forward with it now

Not from eBay this time but from the Scaleforum bring and buy table. An Airfix 3/4F body (no tender) and a P4 chassis, the chassis is in need of a tinker as its not working, either the coupling rods are out and of plunger pickups (I can never make these work) All for a tenner

Its an Alan Gibson chassis, with sprung hornblocks and plunger pickups, a D11 motor, mount and gears. Set of P4 wheels and brake blocks.

Must decide the best way forward with it now

Throw away the 4F body - or re-sell it on Flea Bay. It is too inaccurate.

Tony