Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Here's an example. This was addressed (in the salutation, not the e-mail sense) to the seller but I also received a copy. I was the only recipient on the e-mail, so it's either sent individually to both parties or sent as bcc rather than cc. That would explain why buyers do not see the seller as a cc on their copy.

Andrew

post-1489-0-49688200-1400618420.png

My views are this is a mistake by e-bay. Surely the amount you are willing to pay is confidential between you and e-bay? 

The only advantage I can see in sharing this to the seller is that e-bay are more likely to get sellers to put on higher "buy it now's " or use reserves rather than 99p starts. For the unscrupulous seller it could open up the possibility of the item getting "lost in the post" to be re-listed at a later date - or is that me being cynical!

Tony 

• RMweb Premium

Last night seems to have been very quiet on ebay. Not a lot of bidding going on so there were some good deals to be had. I picked up a SR brake van and an ARC wagon both new for £4.99 + postage. The brake van on it's own would normally go for £10+ (retails for £13). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Apologies for topic drift - are you aware that Banta have a range of building kits from Ophir (Depot, Tram House and General Store) - sold in UK by Paul Martin of EDM Models

Sorry for missing this, Mike. Yes, Paul has supplied my Ophir Depot, as well as a couple of other Banta products, thanks.

A multi buy rather than a single lot but some motors, flywheels and a Wills Hall

post-1131-0-96412000-1401102434_thumb.jpg

The KTM looks to be for an 0 gauge loco, a nice small Keyser motor (mk1?) and 2 D11 or D12's ?. the latter 3 all unsued and the K's being the smaller type will come in handy. All 5 pole motors

post-1131-0-10895600-1401102460_thumb.jpg

Chunky flywheels again must be 0 gauge 1/8th bores  larger one just under an inch the other 3/4 of an inch both 10mm wide

All arrived Saturday but as I have been at Railex not had a good look, just going to check out the Hall.

Postage was good £4 the lot

• Like 1

Nearly had a disaster as a £12.25 bid turned into £1225.00 as I forgot to put in the decimal point. I wondered why I won it at £22.09. Still a bit of luck, a part built Wills hall, which looks to be stuck together with Evo stick, Triang Hornby chassis but with a replacement 5 pole motor. May need cylinders etc. Also bought 5 other items (4 motors and a couple of flywheels) and the chap reduced the postage from £14 to £4, so looks to be a good buy if they all work. Could have been so bad though, must not bid when I am in the garden sawing wood

The Wills Hall and the motors arrived on Saturday morning, being at Railex for 2 days,  I have only just had a good look at them. The hall is quite sound, in as much as 3 or 4 small parts broken (whistle, brake standard, smokebox door handle and rear tender step) so a quick letter to Dave Ellis will sort these out,

Has a Triang Hornby B12 (part of ) chassis with a replacement Airfix (MRRC) 5 pole motor (these motors go for over a tenner on Ebay).

Evostick been used and not painted so will come apart quite easy, other than paint stripper what dissolves Evostick please.  A new kit (bodyline series) at £65 so I think I did quite well in the end. The Valve gear looks much better than usual and the crosshead/piston rod and connecting rod seems to be of harder material.

Edited by hayfield

After looking at the Southeastern Finecast website the chassis is still the whitemetal one and unless I am missing something (normally do) cant see how a £21 whitemetal chassis will be better than the Triang B12 as I have the correct Markit axles for the Triang/Hornby chassis and Romford wheels. Coupling rods would need to be better and changed if I kept the B12 chassis.

I see Comet have up dated their chassis, but do I want to spend another £35 or just get a set of frames. But will they fit as this is designed to fit the B12 chassis.

• RMweb Premium

A lot of two locos that were up for sale by someone who really didn't know what they were turned into thirty notes for a Hornby LBSC E2 (currently in the spares pile) and a modern production Hornby M7 which on their own both second hand and the forthcoming new ones are now starting to go for silly prices.

That latter with a couple of evenings work, a couple of bits from the parts bin and a coat of paint came out like this:

post-6910-0-31630600-1401269477_thumb.jpg

Well chuffed with this one!

• Like 1

The Wills Hall and the motors arrived on Saturday morning, being at Railex for 2 days,  I have only just had a good look at them. The hall is quite sound, in as much as 3 or 4 small parts broken (whistle, brake standard, smokebox door handle and rear tender step) so a quick letter to Dave Ellis will sort these out,

Has a Triang Hornby B12 (part of ) chassis with a replacement Airfix (MRRC) 5 pole motor (these motors go for over a tenner on Ebay).

Evostick been used and not painted so will come apart quite easy, other than paint stripper what dissolves Evostick please.  A new kit (bodyline series) at £65 so I think I did quite well in the end. The Valve gear looks much better than usual and the crosshead/piston rod and connecting rod seems to be of harder material.

Just seen some motors sell on Ebay tonight. The 5 pole Airfix motors sold for £8.74, £10,70 & £11 each ( well that has bought the price of the Hall down) And a D11 went for £9.50, I paid that for 2 unused ones so quite pleased with my little gamble. All came from one of the larger S/H sellers. I guess a junior was given the job of listing as the RTR locos are expensive

I am waiting for a box to arrive ( I guess it will be tomorrow and I will have to collect on Saturday from the delivery office)  of 13 coaches/wagons for £26 once postage is added. Photo is poor and the quality of some may be a bit iffy, which is the gamble 

JOB LOT 12 TRAIN CARRIAGES & TRAIN FOR SPARES OR REPAIRS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-12-TRAIN-CARRIAGES-amp-TRAIN-FOR-SPARES-OR-REPAIRS-/321414434075?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2kHhCxO70AaXEpbU3%252BPohU5fWjQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Looking at it there are some plastic K's kits 40' full brake,Syphon F? , low syphon and 40t bogie mineral wagon. These alone are well worth the price

Could be a diesel body, though one end (may be a kit) may be missing, a Ratio bogie coach missing a bogie. 2 Triang wagons, 2 tenders (one may be whitemetal) I think an old paper sided Mink van and some strange long wheelbase Triang wagon.

Buys like these are quite fun, as the anticipation of what's coming coming in the post is a bit like waiting for a birthday or Christmas present. This is the fun side of buying on EBay, chap seems to sell anything and not much idea of what he is selling. Postage at £4.95 reasonable and was sent 2 nd class yesterday.

• Like 1

Now for the laugh (I am off work with what ever summer bug is doing the rounds and I must admit this has bought a smile to my face). Having said that its still a Good Buy from eBay

post-1131-0-02804400-1401805836_thumb.jpg

A rather bemused post man :O   was at the door with a half opened jiffy bag which rattled, think he was expecting an earful from me about the Royal Mails handling of items. But it certainly would not pass any Royal Mail inspection for a claim for damage, as all the wagons, coaches and loco were just dropped in the bag. We   :no: did have a good laugh and he informed me I could complain to the Royal Mail   :nono:

post-1131-0-90228100-1401805850_thumb.jpg

Well the Ratio coach is a goner, well certainly the under-frame and bogies are

post-1131-0-18716300-1401805876_thumb.jpg

The MTK Brush (Class47?) has just fallen apart, probably still in a better condition than it was when new in the box, think either superglue or spit was used.  Think the tender is a Cotswold Hawksworth (please put me right) has a bent step which will break when straightened, wheel will go back as will the buffer. Is missing a few parts from the front end which could be replaced.

post-1131-0-95620600-1401806093_thumb.jpg

These are what I wanted, The syphon F's bogie is easily mended. The 40' brake has Triang bogies? I do have a spare set of K's bogies and the rest of the bits for both will come from the spares box, Low Syphon has had the under-frame changed for some chopped up RTR chassis, thought it looked wrong in the photo but had a mental block as to what. Still these and a K's 40' bogie coal wagon, which has glued together Ratio bogies!! are well worth the money I paid.

Yes there are 2 Grafar wagons a Hornby wagon and wagon chassis, Triang Space bogie wagon, Hornby Dublo tender and a scratch built Mink D as  well

I cannot believe all the items were just put into a Jiffy bag !! I think bandit and twinks  :triniti:   should be renamed Triggers Independent Trading Company.   :jester: 

Anyway I have sent the comic an email with the photos and a message  :nono:  Interesting to see what happens next as neither has left any feedback   :paint:  yet.

Perhaps we should re-name the thread a Good Laugh from eBay   :sungum:  :yahoo:   :sarcastic: 

• Like 1

Didn't think about it but quite apt.

Think the chap must have got the items from a boot sale or similar. Obviously the previous owner had problems with whitemetal, but to make a set of Ratio bogies and lock them up solid with solvent takes some doing. How about the Stannier Tender, he must be turning in his grave with the GWR emblem on it

We could always start an eBays version of the Darwin's award in a thread, Bozo award

Edited by hayfield