Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

Definately a Jamieson County, what a small world as this looks like the one that I sold many years ago I think at a swapmeet, with chassis and wheels, the former needed solder repair which every best effort failed to achieve.

Strange how things can turn up, I once sold a showmans lorry, built/ kit bashed from a plastic kit, at a swap meet. It turned up about four or five years later on a web forum where the poster described how he'd converted it himself! Curiously he wasn't far wide of the mark in his description of the work, only the origin of the wheels eluded him, he said they were unknown origin, in fact they were from another kit, turned down by hand to correct the tyre profile and hub shape.

Definately a Jamieson County, what a small world as this looks like the one that I sold many years ago I think at a swapmeet, with chassis and wheels, the former needed solder repair which every best effort failed to achieve. 

I should have added the postscript that I remembered I had a Jamieson 4-6-0 County kit, well its a basic loco and tender kit (no chassis) built quite well by a previous owner, using the basic components in the kit. What I think I will do is to sell the other basic loco body, add additional detail to the tender. Will strip the paintwork on the detailed body and after fitting a chassis paint both loco and tender to match. You never know I may even get my money back on the (basic) loco body.

Seems I have scooped a DB Br.10 Neubaulok - the Schwarzer Schwan, portrayed by Hornby-Rivarossi, ref: HR2289. This is the edition marking the 175th anniversary of railways in Germany. Still in its original box.

Apparently the RRP of this thing was about 189 Euro (equivalent to about  £156 at today's prices). I've just paid £75.

Any savings will of course be swallowed up by the cost of Weinert detailing parts and, er, P87 wheels (if I can get hold of those Teichmann castings)...

post-6879-0-82711300-1389267255_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-67286000-1389267268_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

Maybe the photos are deceptive, but I thought it looked big enough for "O" gauge..... in which case the only place it could go would be in the garden!

Nice. Someone does have a bargain, I reckon... An RMWeb member, maybe...?

someone has had a good buy with this lot, i was watching it but quite frankly had no where to put it!!

Good buy - yes - but like all layouts sold on ebay - only any good if you have the means to collect and live local to the seller. Otherwise it is pretty much useless. I thought it looked more EM-like.

• RMweb Gold

That was my concern that it was EM or the like, but it certainly looked interesting with the sliding fiddle yard etc though

Looking at the few buildings on there it also looked like it was going to be contenental had it been completed, low platform etc

collection wouldnt have been a problem for me but i'd have had to completly clear the garage out to get it built!!

Here are a couple of items I scored recently and consider "Good Buys" - understanding I can't/don't consider the postage as part of the cost simply because I've no other options to obtain this stuff on the "left side of the pond" <sigh> no shows I can go to and see these things being sold...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161177442187?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1721wt_1267 - finishes out a rake of 6 I've been building for a while, The thing arrived and truly IS MINT IN BOX - looks like it's hardly even been out of its box. I know lots of folks dislike the Lima coaches, but they actually look very nice from any distance/angle and stand up very well against my Hornby MK1s (not the really new expensive versions - but they also cost too many pounds to have a rake without taking out a LOAN!)

I find there are OFTEN mis-represented UK outline items on eBay.com (US), and have had various opportunities to capture a few things for good/great prices. Couldn't resist this one, mostly for the Wrenn pullmans - I have a Wrenn BB Golden Arrow, and figured these would make a nice set with it. The two Thompsons are a bonus that I'll likely sell on as they don't fit in with anything on the layout.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331094915132?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_242wt_1870 - I loved the totally mis-placed listing with NO reference to WRENN except buried in the description. Granted they aren't boxed, and one of the brakes had a poorly installed Kadee on one end (now correctly installed a new one), but otherwise they are again looking like they have almost never been run. They certainly weren't hauled by the Kadee as it was mounted too low on the bogie to work with any other standard fitted Kadees...

Edited by Ian Abel

Only just saw this thread
An interesting partner to the thread warning of rubbish being sold on ebay :)

Sometime back, I was looking for EM gauge wheels, to re-wheel an OO class 08 shunter
At the time, there was around a 6 month wait for Ultrascale wheels
and they were around £50 plus P&P a set

I found an 08 on ebay mis-spelt as EM guage - not gauge!
It wasn't the colour / livery I wanted

I placed the winning bid, at around £50
Got the 08, swapped the wheels for mine, and sold it with OO wheels,
for around £30

So I got my EM conversion for about £20, and in under a week - not bad going :)

• Like 2

Perhaps we should start a "best buy of the week" and to partner it "worst buy of the week"

Only just saw this thread
An interesting partner to the thread warning of rubbish being sold on ebay :)

Sometime back, I was looking for EM gauge wheels, to re-wheel an OO class 08 shunter
At the time, there was around a 6 month wait for Ultrascale wheels
and they were around £50 plus P&P a set

I found an 08 on ebay mis-spelt as EM guage - not gauge!
It wasn't the colour / livery I wanted

I placed the winning bid, at around £50
Got the 08, swapped the wheels for mine, and sold it with OO wheels,
for around £30

So I got my EM conversion for about £20, and in under a week - not bad going :)

Marc

I think much earlier in the thread I started with of shared that I bought an Airfix 14xx with a RG4 and a Mainline 57xx with a different coreless motor, both bought for their etched chassis, also a 3F which has a Mashima with a flywheel also a super runner. None had decent descriptions and only bought for the chassis

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have just taken delivery of a Wills CK16 Country Station and platform kit in OO gauge, which upon trawling ebay I found them all to be above the £30.00 including the postage, this is also the same for most online retailers, so i was pleasantly surprised when I came across one listed on ebay for £24.99 BIN or Best Offer plus posting of £3.00,  hmmm I thought, this would be ideal for my next project "a modular layout using the Ikea APA boxes, which will be based on the Llanwrst track plan", so I thought I would stick a cheeky offer in of £17.00, back came a counter offer of £20.00............hmmm tempting, but I thought lets have another little nibble at £18.00.....bingo offer accepted.

So for 21.00 including postage " a great saving of 33% off the original listing price" here today has arrived a new and untouched "inside anyway" full kit, and instructions all nice clean and tidy, boxes aren't A1 but in truth they will be on the log burner the day construction is completed, but everything was well wrapped and does smell of  :drag: as well as a great saving of 33% off the original listing price.

signed Chuffed Modeller of Pwllheli

Happy modelling "I know I will be"  :sungum:

Edited by muddys-blues

....At the time, there was around a 6 month wait for Ultrascale wheels...

There still is.

I once managed to get a full set of Ultrascales including crankpins for the eBay price of £29, to go with the LRM kit that had come from the same source a few weeks earlier. Was a bit surprised to find I was the only bidder.

• Like 1

Bachmann Class 37 (21pin) chassis, factory weathered, fitted with a speaker, which I won't use because I'm a DC analogue man.

Bufferbeams broken off at one end, listed as none runner/spares or repair - £9.

When it arrived I reinserted the blanking chip (it was upside down and not aligned correctly) and off she went!

• Like 3

I gave my daughter £20 to get something she wanted from a toyshop in Sheringham this morning. To be fair, she's been on about it for ages and didn't get it for Christmas. 5 minutes after she went out, I wondered if it was available on ebay... Yep. £6.99 free P&P. No problem, I thought, I'll call her. Imagine my horror when I could hear her phone ringing in the bedroom - she'd gone out without it! Moral dilemma - do I let her keep it or take it back to the shop and make her wait for the postman to bring the ebay bargain???

Sometimes there are still bargains to be had on there.  I put in a 10% shy Best Offer for a Hornby Brit that was basically half price already (and free P&P).  When the payment was all going through it looked to me like the ultimate vendor was a Cash Converters type store in a somewhat down-at-heel part of the UK.  Perhaps the best way for them to realise maximum value, I can't help but wonder was it nicked or did some poor soul have to trade it for money for the meter...

• RMweb Gold

When the payment was all going through it looked to me like the ultimate vendor was a Cash Converters type store in a somewhat down-at-heel part of the UK.  

i got a dcc fitted Hornby class 153 from my local cash generator last year, it was on the shelf with a sticker on it "Hornby coach" for the princlely sum of £10, sold it on for about £50 a couple of days later!

the same shop seems to have an endless supply of 'original omnibus', 'EFE', 'britbus' etc that they knock out for anything between £3 and £15

• Like 1

*wonders if he should start frequenting all these pawn shops*.....

I frequent these types of shops...........oops you said "PAWN" shops, sorry  :blind:  !!! silly me, my mistake I don't frequent this type of Pawn shops...but I do Freque.......... :secret:

Edited by muddys-blues

Further to this post-

Not exactly models but I bought a peugeot 106 diesel (12in to the foot) off ebay 3 years ago for £151 and I am still driving around in it, okay it isnt anything to write home about but the 3 MOTs have only cost a total £156 and it is returning a real world 58mpg so I would call that a bargain.

The car passed its MOT again in December and needed a wiper blade, bargain indeed.

Unfortunately some <deleted> decided to put a brick through the cars  windscreen this morning.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll let you lot decide if this is worthy of being Classified as a 'Good Buy'

Last night, I was bidding on a Brand New S&D 7F, Br Black Late Crest, and I accidentally went and won it (Meaning, I didn't expect to win)

I payed £80.01 for the loco with £4.99 postage, so a Grand total of £85

Considering these retail at around £120, Hattons sell them for £110, and I got mine for £85, I think it was a good buy.