New Directions for "USA & Canada RailRoads" of RMWeb

Several members have commented recently regarding separating the main component of "USA & Canadian RailRoads" into two: Models and Prototype. At present they are all in together.

The argument is that it would be easier doing research to keep the real thing apart.

Problem is that it would be nightmarish to unpick what has gone before - we are in some respects a victim of our own success.

Andy has started by including two more sub-fora. My personal view is that it may be worth one additional sub - fora for Prototype (Photos, Track Layouts, Companies, Intermodal, Historic, etc., etc).

Still keep this one general heading of USA & Canada Railroads as a "catch - all" for Models and everything else.

Best, Pete.

Dear Pete,

FWIW, not sure I agree with seperating Proto and Model. Part of the reason why the existing posts have worked is _because_ of the free cross-polination of proto and model info. To wit

-"I have X x Y space, and have a desire to model Z-type US railroading. Can anyone suggest a proto inspiration that might work?"

-"just found this fantastically modelgenic proto, would love to see how it could be deployed in model form"

As for "posts and info being lost", can't comment for others, but Message Search is my friend. Never had to spend more than 30 second looking for any given thread or info...

If it's a Voting thing, sign up 1 for "don't split"

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Andrew, It depends on me having the time to go through them. I had a blitz over the least few days (I always ask the originator first by the way).

Please provide links to some interesting ones...

Best, Pete.

I think I would also come down on the side of 'not split' - we're still a niche (albeit a biggish one) - and fundamentally this is a modelling forum, so almost all the prototype stuff that gets posted is from a modelling angle (wouldn't this make a good...., how would you model....or whatever)

Maybe we could keep the Prototype open to photographs only? Martyn your point is good but wouldn't be easier to find such ideas in one location that is set aside?

Somewhere to put those photos taken on a trip that are apropo to nothing on the modelling page. I'm getting more interested in taking photos of the general environment surrounding "the railroad" which varies a lot from place to place over here.

Best, Pete.

It does create a bit of confusion as far as how things are organized. Overseas Prototype is in the Prototype section while Overseas Modeling is in the Special Interest section. USA/Canada is in special interests then split to model and prototype.

While I see the reasoning, and it seems to be fairly common on forums, I would rather the USA/CAN Proto be its own subgroup so I don't have to drill down another layer, I go from Special interests to USA/CAN Model or to USA/CAN Proto, not Special Interests, USA/CAN, then Model or Proto. Fewer steps.

Archived