stove r in 00

mark axlecounter

I'm not sure how thiscan have "harmed" Dapol at all. As DapolDave has said the designs and running qualities were signed off by Hornby magazine, who probably also stipulated what curves it should run around etc. Plus as Mike said, Kernow (BWT), Model Rail (Sentinel) and Hattons (LMS twins) as well as Dapol's own stuff, have all shown how good their products are as well as how important it is for the commissioning client to be clear which market their product is aiming for. IIRC the smaller wheels were chosen to allow the model to run around R1 curves.

Some will not see, or choose not to believe, Dave's comments about the specification of the model. Therefore some will still consider Dapol to be at fault.

To support Dave's and Mike's comments about Dapol's ability to produce excellent models under commission, the N Gauge Stove R (commended above), and the BR independent snowplough (model of the year) were produced by Dapol under commission for the N Gauge Society.

From Brossards post below...this link will work....I hope

http://tinyurl.com/7h6w5zp

Oh yes axel, I think some people have had issues, especially with code 75 track. I heavily modified the running gear of mine:

http://britishmodelr...-and-Dapol.html

The link doesn't seem to work. If you go to the blogspot link below you can find it about 4 pages in. Here's what I wrote:

"This model has received some sharp criticism since its release. As far as I can tell from consulting some LMS coach literature the upperworks are correct. It is in the underframe where trouble starts. The running gear seems to be nothing but compromise. I have read that the coach won't stay on the track, particularly through points. Wheels are undersize (at 12mm dia, should be 14mm) and flanges are grossly deep. Brake shoes are miles away from the wheels. It isn't easy to replace the wheels since the wheel mounts are fairly thick plastic and you would have to grind through the bridge from pivot to W iron quite drastically to give 14mm wheels clearance.

I chose to scrap the wheel mounts and replace them with components from Comet Models. I got the C7 W Iron pack (enough for 3 sets) and C14 Clasp Brakes. I reused the plastic axleboxes but in hindsight I wish I had used the Comet cast ones (C17).

Fitting these wasn't easy but after several tries I managed to get all wheelsets at the same height.

There is a LOT of fragile detail, much of it came to grief as I was working on the coach but I was able to repair using lashings of superglue.

I have run the coach on Allingham and it seems to be OK although I must admit I haven't subjected it to any serious shunting."

You really need to change to 14mm wheels but the W irons are quite heavy and require some careful surgery to get the flanges clear. My approach was to use Comet W irons.

P1010060.jpg

John

Archived