Wanted: Canadian passenger cars especially 'Ren' stock

Can't help feeling that we who model the Canadian scene are in urgent need of more passenger cars. I have a set of Walthers s/s in VIA colours but they are only marginally correct, being reliveried US cars. I've managed to lay hands on only one LRC car and it cost a fortune on Ebay. The shops have Rapido's painted ex-CN cars but nothing else. I know production problems in China are affecting the delivery of models but looking ahead, we could surely use some more, and some different stock: Suggestions:

Another batch of LRC cars including the current colour schemes (some cars are now refurbished in 'Ren' green and grey).

'The Canadian' cars to be offered individually. The set is OK but am I the only one who won't buy it because - it's too expensive - it's too long for my layout - I don't want the 'F' units, I want modern locos? Rapido would sell lots more coaches if they were sold separately. (VIA Rail is to offer the Rapido 'Park' car separately as a L/E in three different names as a souvenir - C$100.)

Renaissance stock. (ex-Nightstar) Now the major missing link in Canadian models. Widely used east of Toronto to Montreal and Montreal-Halifax. Nothing suitable to convert as Hornby's 4mm:1ft Mk4s just look way too big with an HO locomotive. A basic body/underframe/trucks kit would be a great idea - enough to enable a bit of kit bashing to produce the various different car types.

What do others think? Or am I ploughing a lone furrow modelling current passenger ops?

CHRIS LEIGH

I have the same issues in N, which is why my modern passenger stock is mostly GO and Amtrak.

You can model a lot of VIA operations without Renaissance stock, but it is hard to get by without LRC stock. Presumably one can do the same conversions to Budd coaches as VIA did to get approximations of the current stainless stock.

Maybe Jason can be convinced to do another run of LRC coaches to go with the locos (due late this year). EDIT: CVR shows a bunch of LRC coaches as pre-orders, so I assume there will be a batch coming.

Not a Renaissance car in sight:

post-206-086600900 1286972469_thumb.jpg

post-206-096946300 1286984288_thumb.jpg

post-206-059943700 1286971699_thumb.jpg

Adrian

Can't help feeling that we who model the Canadian scene are in urgent need of more passenger cars. I have a set of Walthers s/s in VIA colours but they are only marginally correct, being reliveried US cars. I've managed to lay hands on only one LRC car and it cost a fortune on Ebay. The shops have Rapido's painted ex-CN cars but nothing else. I know production problems in China are affecting the delivery of models but looking ahead, we could surely use some more, and some different stock: Suggestions:

Another batch of LRC cars including the current colour schemes (some cars are now refurbished in 'Ren' green and grey).

'The Canadian' cars to be offered individually. The set is OK but am I the only one who won't buy it because - it's too expensive - it's too long for my layout - I don't want the 'F' units, I want modern locos? Rapido would sell lots more coaches if they were sold separately. (VIA Rail is to offer the Rapido 'Park' car separately as a L/E in three different names as a souvenir - C$100.)

Renaissance stock. (ex-Nightstar) Now the major missing link in Canadian models. Widely used east of Toronto to Montreal and Montreal-Halifax. Nothing suitable to convert as Hornby's 4mm:1ft Mk4s just look way too big with an HO locomotive. A basic body/underframe/trucks kit would be a great idea - enough to enable a bit of kit bashing to produce the various different car types.

What do others think? Or am I ploughing a lone furrow modelling current passenger ops?

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris - I'd suggest an emaill to Jason Shron - he is a modeller, has been known to listen to suggestions like yours, and he posts on Train Orders.com. HIH

Jack

Rapido have said the cars for 'The Canadian' are going out to the dealers, not sure what kind of cars they are

sadly my 12ft layout is a little small to run anything like that

Yes, George's Trains in Toronto had received one 'Canadian' set when I called in there a month ago. Hopefully, that means that the single 'Park' cars for VIA Rail will not be too far behind. My layout is not much bigger than yours, and I'm told that the complete 'Canadian' is 12ft long so would look absurd. I wonder how the prices would work if someone was to split a set?

CHRIS LEIGH

Maybe Jason can be convinced to do another run of LRC coaches to go with the locos (due late this year). EDIT: CVR shows a bunch of LRC coaches as pre-orders, so I assume there will be a batch coming.

Adrian

LRC Cars in the Canada Scheme (what would now be the intermediate scheme as the rebuild program and the grey/green rolls out) are in the pipeline from Rapido.

Chris - I'd suggest an emaill to Jason Shron - he is a modeller, has been known to listen to suggestions like yours, and he posts on Train Orders.com. HIH

Jack

Jason definitely listens to what people are asking for, though i know he is regularly swamped and can be slow responding to emails, but definitely email him.

Rapido have said the cars for 'The Canadian' are going out to the dealers, not sure what kind of cars they are

sadly my 12ft layout is a little small to run anything like that

The Canadian is sold as a set only right now, the first part number has come in and been shipped out, if memory serves, the train is about 12-14' long from when i've seen it:

7146910021_5979510b1f_o.jpg

Yes, George's Trains in Toronto had received one 'Canadian' set when I called in there a month ago. Hopefully, that means that the single 'Park' cars for VIA Rail will not be too far behind. My layout is not much bigger than yours, and I'm told that the complete 'Canadian' is 12ft long so would look absurd. I wonder how the prices would work if someone was to split a set?

CHRIS LEIGH

The Canadian set is in one box, it is not going to be easy to part out if people don't want the entire train. The VIA schemes and Park Cars are later deliveries in the summer, the next batch due is the 2nd Canadian Pacific Block, followed i believe by CP Script and then VIA. I know that Jason has indicated on the CanModelTrains list that he runs that the price of the Park being sold through VIA is representative of what individual cars will sell for when produced in the future, and that for the VIA modellers out there, the names being sold through VIA won't be available to individual dealers later.

-Stephen

Archived