I had a bit of spare time today and thought it might be interesting to write a post about my collection of French Autorails. At the same time I thought it might be nice to see some of your collections of French stock (not just Autorails but any types of stock) so please feel free to add to this post. All of these are for N gauge.

Here is a shot of a few of my Autorails.

post-6976-0-72903900-1338134464_thumb.jpg

On the front row (from left to right) we have a Del Prado Picasso on a Tomix Chassis. Another Del Prado Picasso on a Tomix Chassis that has been altered to be similar to X3900. A heavily modified Del Prado Picasso body that is now an X5800, this rides on a modified Kato chassis. We then have an X5600 which is an old casting that I refurbished and placed on a Kato tram chassis.

On the back row (from left to right) we have an X2400 riding on a modified Kato BUDD chassis, this requires painting, buffers and glazing. Then there is a Mikadotrain X73500 (which is just superb!). Finally we have an unmodified X2800 running on a modified Kato Budd chassis, this required painting, buffers and glazing.

post-6976-0-13738900-1338134413_thumb.jpg

Here is a better shot of the Picasso style railcars:

post-6976-0-96495600-1338134428_thumb.jpg

And here is a better shot of the longer railcars:

post-6976-0-45611400-1338134447_thumb.jpg

I look forward to seeing your collections!

• RMweb Gold

Like Stephen I also like autorails. Having ridden on one of the "whales" in plain TER livery a few years ago I just had to get one of the models as soon as they were released by H.Jouef:

post-586-0-55453500-1338324818.jpg

In addition to autorails I'm into DoubleDeckers in a big way. The whale is seen passing the recent H.Jouef release:

post-586-0-76079900-1338324838.jpg

....and close up:

post-586-0-22892000-1338324867.jpg

....and on its own:

post-586-0-49846900-1338324911.jpg

As well as DoubleDeck EMUs I've also managed to get some of the ViTrains Push-Pull sets over the years. My favourite livery is the "Ile de France" livery:

post-586-0-60236400-1338324937.jpg

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As mentioned earlier I've always had a liking for SNCF diesel railcars many of which I regard as being quite quirky - like the Picasso. One of my other favourites has always been the panorama railcar.

Was browsing the Jura-Modelisme website on Wednesday morning and clicked on the sound-fitted model section and was surprised to see that Mistral Train Models had released a model of the panorama railcar.....and that Jura-Modelisme had some in stock. A rapid raid on my pension fund, couple of clicks on the website and the following was on it's way to me:

post-586-0-88258700-1344023750.jpg

The model arrived today - yes today, only ordered on Wednesday - J-M, France Poste and Parcel Force were obviously working in unison.

Am pleased with what I've got. Like all the lighting functions available on dcc, the horn sounds, especially the long horn sound, are amongst the best I've heard and the railcar is populated by a driver and a few passengers. Very nice.

Keith

So i only have 2 French models, and neither unfortunately in good condition or in a working condition, but a picture speaks a thousand words, so here's one of the two:

IMAG0335.jpg

It's an old Lima model, but i couldn't tell you much more

Sam

• RMweb Gold

So i only have 2 French models,

It's an old Lima model, but i couldn't tell you much more

The prototype TGV spends a lot of its time doing 186 mph, so is no slouch. Every collection has to start somewhere!

The prototype TGV spends a lot of its time doing 186 mph, so is no slouch. Every collection has to start somewhere!

Indeed, Been on 3 in the past, and off to my Grandparents in Oct, so another 2, and a Teoz then, not forgetting a RER Line D, Eurostar and a Victoria Line Tube, All in a single day, can't wait.

Sam

Indeed, Been on 3 in the past, and off to my Grandparents in Oct, so another 2, and a Teoz then, not forgetting a RER Line D, Eurostar and a Victoria Line Tube, All in a single day, can't wait.

Sam

Going a bit off topic but the Teoz/Corail carriages are fantastic. The legroom is amazing and the ride quality is very good. Are you going from Austerlitz?

• RMweb Gold

I had a bit of spare time today and thought it might be interesting to write a post about my collection of French Autorails. At the same time I thought it might be nice to see some of your collections of French stock (not just Autorails but any types of stock) so please feel free to add to this post. All of these are for N gauge.

Here is a shot of a few of my Autorails.

post-6976-0-72903900-1338134464_thumb.jpg

On the front row (from left to right) we have a Del Prado Picasso on a Tomix Chassis. Another Del Prado Picasso on a Tomix Chassis that has been altered to be similar to X3900. A heavily modified Del Prado Picasso body that is now an X5800, this rides on a modified Kato chassis. We then have an X5600 which is an old casting that I refurbished and placed on a Kato tram chassis.

On the back row (from left to right) we have an X2400 riding on a modified Kato BUDD chassis, this requires painting, buffers and glazing. Then there is a Mikadotrain X73500 (which is just superb!). Finally we have an unmodified X2800 running on a modified Kato Budd chassis, this required painting, buffers and glazing.

post-6976-0-13738900-1338134413_thumb.jpg

Here is a better shot of the Picasso style railcars:

post-6976-0-96495600-1338134428_thumb.jpg

And here is a better shot of the longer railcars:

post-6976-0-45611400-1338134447_thumb.jpg

I look forward to seeing your collections!

That X5500/5800 looks very good.

I have various HO autorails including many from the AS range. Used to be very collectable but now rather superseded by more accurate models, in particular the ABJ range from Electrotren. Will maybe dig out and photograph for this thread.

Going a bit off topic but the Teoz/Corail carriages are fantastic. The legroom is amazing and the ride quality is very good. Are you going from Austerlitz?

No, Gare Du Lyon-Marseille (TGV)-Montpellier (Teoz)-Carcassonne (TGV) I've done direct to Montpellier before, so decided to go a slightly longer route, and now i'm considering a Corail Lunea from Toulouse to Paris rather than Easyjet.

Sam

• RMweb Gold

That X5500/5800 looks very good.

I have various HO autorails including many from the AS range. Used to be very collectable but now rather superseded by more accurate models, in particular the ABJ range from Electrotren. Will maybe dig out and photograph for this thread.

I have several Electrotren ABJs, and they are indeed very C21 Chinese in quality. So far Electrotren have failed to add any contemporary trailers, and I've acquired a few AS ones instead. These don't look too bad - but the running qualities are dire, and I'm working on a complete re-wheel. The bogies need some attention to take pin-point axles. AS seem to have been rather clever in their designs - but that was 30 years ago.

• RMweb Gold

I have several Electrotren ABJs, and they are indeed very C21 Chinese in quality. So far Electrotren have failed to add any contemporary trailers, and I've acquired a few AS ones instead. These don't look too bad - but the running qualities are dire, and I'm working on a complete re-wheel. The bogies need some attention to take pin-point axles. AS seem to have been rather clever in their designs - but that was 30 years ago.

AS are quite untypical.It was really a contract sheet-metal business with models just as a sideline due to owners' interest, so mfg techniques not what you usually find.

• 4 months later...

Well with Christmas been and gone I thought it was time to have a new look at the loco fleet and see what locos have appeared on my layout over the past few months. 

post-6976-0-00404100-1356530520_thumb.jpg

I still have a few more locos (and new Autorails) to take pictures of but what can be seen in the above (from left to right) is - A Minitrix 72000 (72073) which is from a train set and has one of the newer chassis. Next up is a Mabar 68000 in the blue livery with the spaghetti logo, this runs very nicely! We then have another Mabar 68000 in the Fret livery as well as a 66000 in Fret Livery and a 67300 in Fret Livery, these locos are all former residents of Dave Dawes Plemont layout. Finally we have a Minitrix 67300 which was purchased from Spain. 

As always I am interested to see any additions to your fleet or pictures of any other French layouts. 

Archived