The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium

A wild iguana visiting a house nearby, these are common around us. Less common but more impressive are the monitor lizards, those can be huge, despite looking pretty scary they seem to just ignore people.

Iguana.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Saw many of those in south Florida. Some of the Caribbean islanders called then "chicken of the trees".

Its now known that birds are descended from reptiles so its no surprise that reptile meat 'tastes like chicken'.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Saw many of those in south Florida. Some of the Caribbean islanders called then "chicken of the trees".

They are actually not native to Florida - as with a few other non-native species that have been released by 'pet' owners, they are now upsetting the ecology here.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

This one was funny as while looking at the bird I missed a monster of a monitor lizard in the water which I thought was a crocodile when I did notice it. Sadly by the time I realised it had gone below water and when it came back up I couldn't get a picture.

Bird20.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

No idea what the first one is, but it looked quite impressive. Someones exotic pets.

Looks like an Australian White Ibis.

Also known as a  Bin Chicken.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As it's very hot and sunny around here at the moment (well by British standards) for the last two mornings I've taken the dogs to my local park adjacent to where I saw the White Letter Hairstreak butterfly on Sat and was rewarded this morning by finding  an Elm tree on which I could see there were at least 3 more WLHs high up taking short, quick flights from position to position, sometimes duelling with each other in the process. As all British Hairstreak butterflies are only about the size of my thumbnail it is their fast flight patterns that give them away, either darting out and back from a high, sunny position or occasionally  fast, mazey flights if travelling further afield from their main habitat.

53B062E8-82C2-4ACE-9925-E2A1B2247365.thumb.jpeg.9a64d7ecf2c56c53f5466992ad48e6a5.jpeg 

Don't bother looking for any butterflies in the photo as they are far too small to see.

Over the years I have found several 'particular' sites or individual trees where I know that I can see either Green or Purple Hairstreaks at certain times of the year ... so this tree will now be held in my memory for next years viewing.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My mornings amble also produced Large and Small Whites, Speckled Wood, Ringlets, Meadow Browns and this slightly tatty Common Skipper.

24084BBE-AFD5-422C-BF6E-FA4CBD5A699D.thumb.jpeg.15ca69541a064a38c9fc5341b89003ce.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Finally ... having tried and failed to take a snap shot of what I suspected was a Gatekeeper, which flew off as soon as I took my phone out, I had rather more luck with this Holly Blue.

It started off fluttering close to the ground, allowing me close enough to get a shot, but then when I tried to get one of it in flight it decided to land on one of my dog's backs ... where it was quite happy for the next 10 mins as Freya carried it around the park, equally happy on either her fur or harness until we went back under the trees !!

2B312DC2-CEFB-4BF6-8B97-30A739F3740C.jpeg

7EE55E77-778A-4A63-B5A3-BD691CB0D5D2.jpeg

2C783933-D64D-4FEC-8A9C-9BC8EDB337FE.jpeg

CA63DA94-024B-4BAE-B345-327E3C919676.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

Buddy and his Fox! We see this fox most mornings on our walks, it watches us get closer then sits in the bushes as we pass the pops out again just after we passed, Buddy takes very little interest a all, now if a Squirrel appears.....! 

292137888_982438379101797_9146734280110741771_n.thumb.jpg.b5732d55a18e74574306ffc9fc7a0bd5.jpg

Occasionally we get some deer, yet again he's not fussed about them at all and they just sit and watch us pass.  

291738322_1392992291165618_7363171932349361499_n.thumb.jpg.eee9d1d982c637a24ee2ebec713040e4.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I posted this link in a Singapore thread in the Asian Railways section, but it might be of interest here, being on the fifth floor is no deterrent to naughty macaques if they spot an opportunity😀 In all seriousness, don't upset macaques as they can be quite vicious if provoked.

https://youtu.be/48sV3IEOO84

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

Watching me water the garden the other night

Screenshot_20220730-180437_Video Player.jpg

27 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

Probably thirsty and looking for drink.

Terry

I put water out for the foxes* that invaded my garden but not food. *A vixen and three cubs.

• Like 3