The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, jbqfc said:

he is only out every other night now so must be thinking of hibernating 

John 

It's been very mild around Leeds for the last few days so maybe he's taking an opportunity to put on a little more timber , although he looked a good size on the video.

Nothing much from me really although I watched a fox crossing a field this morning but as it was 10.50 he was up very late, I wondered if it had maybe been disturbed from wherever it had been sleeping.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jbqfc said:

he is only out every other night now so must be thinking of hibernating 

John 

He should be OK getting a good feed is good for hibernation.  I wish I could hibernate 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 03060 said:

Nothing much from me really although I watched a fox crossing a field this morning but as it was 10.50 he was up very late, I wondered if it had maybe been disturbed from wherever it had been sleeping.

Regards,

Ian.

The foxes around here seem to operate 24/7. There is a lot of them and I wonder if there's enough food for them.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

There was a dead bird hanging from the deer fence around our vegetable garden. I thought it was a quail but when I went take it down I discovered it was a beautiful little kestrel. I couldn't bring myself to take a photo. (The US kestrels are a bit smaller than the UK kestrel.)

• Friendly/supportive 7

52 minutes ago, AndyID said:

There was a dead bird hanging from the deer fence around our vegetable garden. I thought it was a quail but when I went take it down I discovered it was a beautiful little kestrel. I couldn't bring myself to take a photo. (The US kestrels are a bit smaller than the UK kestrel.)

In Scotland they put strips of obvious material in the deer fencing so it is visible to wildlife, strips of coloured plastic for example.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

In Scotland they put strips of obvious material in the deer fencing so it is visible to wildlife, strips of coloured plastic for example.

The fence only encloses a rather small area and it is fairly obvious as it has horizontal steel framing and it's adorned with various items including old reflective number plates, coils of wire etc. but I'll beef it up with some tape flares.

It's only six feet high and the deer could easily jump over it but they could not make a safe landing so they don't. The gate has vertical steel tubes about five inches apart. I had to add some mesh to the gate after I saw a doe nudging her fawn through the gap. She knew she couldn't get through but she knew her fawn could :).  I wish I had a video of that.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Cats (and dogs) prefer rainwater to tap water. Its all the chemicals in tap water such as chlorine they don't like.

It’s probably the fluoride they don’t like, our cat (and my daughters horse, but that’s another story!) would quite happily drink from our swimming pool which had much higher levels of chlorine that tap water, oddly they’d hate tap water as you say but they would drink from any dirty, muddy disgusting puddle.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been trying for ages to get a photo of this, a Dartford Warbler, taken along the banks of the Thames at Rainham.

P1110645_2jpg.jpg.f03b3b882030026af421fb1123915e23.jpg

There's also a friendly Robin on the RSPB Reserve too.

270493520_919954065577839_97090186589357207_n.jpg.761cf0264c3c0a72877df0826d98d59d.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

A photo from last year but also been looking out for this lady, I think it's a female, lives around an estate and come running at the shake of a bag. We often give her a handful of dog biscuits or an egg or two. She hasn't been around for a week or so but I know they have other things on their minds at this time of year. 

264838251_768777014518887_4134791002368174860_n.jpg.7ec1e11fb2b6f6dadf10c47e5273327e.jpg

Edited by sb67
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quite recently, in the last year or so muntjac deer have arrived in my locality. During lockdown due to the quieter roads they have spread into new areas. Not been able to get any pics yet as they are very shy and prefer the dark. You can certainly hear them though, they bark like a dog. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Working outside on layout this morning when there was a bump and this little fella landed the other side of the backscene.

693C939D-7912-4985-98DB-E26A07381CF6.jpeg.3303ac4f27084bb53e18aaa2984d3b69.jpeg

Did hope he might just be stunned but no, broken neck from hitting window. What a tragedy! The black caps are not common here but we have had residents for the last couple of years. Hope the missus isn’t sitting on nest waiting for him to return with food…

• Friendly/supportive 11