The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

On 30/06/2021 at 17:36, Clagsniffer said:

F27657F5-2AFD-49A9-ABF1-0B98AB595E2D.jpeg.f75cf40e008a693372bb77217cc1e882.jpeg

Had this fluttering about my garden this afternoon, I don’t recall ever seeing one before. After a bit of Googling I’ve tentatively identified it as a speckled wood butterfly, can anyone confirm? Rather pretty I think.

Nice photo, that it is a Speckled Wood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of evenings ago I heard a noise coming from the patio. When I investigated it turned out to be a young fox making the most of the snails and slugs bought out by the rain. I stood stock still watching him/her for several minutes until I moved and it was off like a shot.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Out fishing on the Wye Just below Rhayader yesterday. It’s been a while since we have seen an otter but was hopeful. 

No sight all day but at about 21.00 up popped a whiskery face by the dead tree down the bottom of the pool. I was about a third of the way across the river and had already caught and returned some stunning trout so elected to just watch and see what he did - it was a big dog otter. He worked his way up the far bank - about 15 yards across the river - until he was directly opposite me when he decided this was the perfect place for a bit of ottery fun. For the next 10 minutes he dived surfaced and tail slapped n about 5 yards of river - a wonderful show ! Is there any other wild animal that can be seen to be visibly enjoying themselves so much?

James then appeared on the sky line Behind me and that was it... Mr Otter was gone. 

But a wonderful end to a great day ....

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It was Dave! When you are stood in the middle of the river off the sky line the wild life often doesn’t see you as a threat and so ignores you. Otters are cheeky too...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I was Salmon fishing on my local river yesterday, no Otters this time, but I have had them swim past me when I have been night fishing for the Sea Trout

Had my best ever Wye trout yesterday ... 22 inches and 2.5lbs a beautiful fish. Safely returned to grow bigger but the way it was jumping around it certainly thought it was a salmon!

Had the same with otters at night on the Cleddau and Ystwyth .... they float past on their backs with a fish on their belly and then you hear them crunching it on the stones. It’s like they are taunting us.... 

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Fish are generally Ignored by wildlife enthusiasts as they are not easy to see. But they are just as special as other fauna....   

image.jpeg

• Like 12

seen through the kitchen window during half time last night

IMG_0771.jpg.215df399f58d14a5fbece9907f0ba6c4.jpg

obviously out for a quick meal so as not to miss the action. The parent bird on the left, was standing on one leg for more than five minutes!

regards

Mike

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

A Pacific banana slug: 

IMG_0451.jpg.6f8ecd4ebe037f76286d70fc9882ffd4.jpg

This one was about 5 inches long. They can grow to twice this size.

As the name implies, most of them are yellow in colour, but there are considerable variations.  

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

A Pacific banana slug: 

IMG_0451.jpg.6f8ecd4ebe037f76286d70fc9882ffd4.jpg

This one was about 5 inches long. They can grow to twice this size.

As the name implies, most of them are yellow in colour, but there are considerable variations.  

They have very similar giant slugs in Barbados but they are the usual grey/brown colour.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

We were outside having sarnies yesterday and watched next door’s cat on our path munch away and finish off one of the longest Slow Worms I’ve ever seen, dropped its tail early on and almost got away but “Tigger” found the main body for seconds!

Not that appetising I thought :bo_mini: 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A young fox appears to have taken up residence in my back garden. I'm pretty certain it is one of this years cubs going by its size.

Do you mean actually resident …..or just visiting ?  Your sense of smell should be able to tell you. I can always tell from that if one’s around. On a personal level,I’m no fan of urban fox and would seek a way of discouraging them..

N.I.M.B.Y. They dig where they  shouldn’t,smell foul and are a hazard to other less destructive wildlife that are also probably out there

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Well it hasn't been around for a couple of days so it may well have been passing through.

I sincerely hope so. They are frequently attracted by those who misguidedly choose to put food scraps out for them .It’s a tough life for them I know and many of the litter won’t survive due to starvation but feeding them isn’t a good idea sadly.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This little chap alighted on the window of Wymondham Cabin this morning.

DSCF1170.JPG.7b1cf7e2d7aff86f277f50c3212ce1e7.JPG

I haven't a clue about moths.

I did try and persuade it to open its wings, but it fluttered off.

DSCF1171.JPG.b0737191a7d583f1660049bc01376ccf.JPG

Any ideas?

Regards

Ian

23 hours ago, Engineer said:

Errant quote from another thread - ignore.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I sincerely hope so. They are frequently attracted by those who misguidedly choose to put food scraps out for them .It’s a tough life for them I know and many of the litter won’t survive due to starvation but feeding them isn’t a good idea sadly.

Only left water out, mostly used by the birds but the fox did use it as well (until a couple of magpies chased it off).

1 hour ago, Ian Smeeton said:

This little chap alighted on the window of Wymondham Cabin this morning.

DSCF1170.JPG.7b1cf7e2d7aff86f277f50c3212ce1e7.JPG

I haven't a clue about moths.

I did try and persuade it to open its wings, but it fluttered off.

DSCF1171.JPG.b0737191a7d583f1660049bc01376ccf.JPG

Any ideas?

Regards

Ian

Errant quote from another thread - ignore.

One of the Ermine moths - but I have no idea on species. 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1