The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Gold

The main animal is our usual fox (plenty of night shots of him/her before) but I have no idea what to make of the bat-like shape superimposed on the fox. Could it indeed be a bat, or is it just some weird effect of internal reflections in the camera optics?

• Like 1

We have three peanut feeders and a fat ball feeder hanging from brackets on the fence posts opposite our french doors and kitchen which provide with a great deal of entertainment but the strangest thing is that the squirrels have taken to rounding off their peanut meals by coming down onto the shingle that covers most of the ground in this area of the garden and carefully selecting a piece and then run off with it in their mouths, we assume to bury as a diversion to where they actually bury the peanuts. They always leave the garden so we do not know what happens, has anyone else seen this occurring?

IMG_0641.jpg.445509b65991924ba6ca7885a15ae316.jpg

caught this morning as we were preparing to go shopping.

regards

Mike

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Our squirrels just knock on the kitchen window until we relent and give them more nuts......

We used to have a duck that did something similar.

A place I used to work at had 100+ ducks of various breeds.  One (we never worked out what breed she was) used to come up to reception every morning.  If the door was open, she'd stick her head in and quack (she never came in), if the door was shut, she'd knock.

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

There used to be a model railway shop (now closed) in a town near here that kept a basket of peanuts in the shell on the counter. The local squirrels used to come in the door, stand on the floor at the counter (I never saw one up on the counter) and chatter till someone tossed them a peanut from the basket. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

As recent posts have had a squirrel theme, here's another one from my garden in West Yorkshire this morning.

Making sure its tail is well groomed...

1474723911_Squirrel091220201-RMweb.jpg.069e18650f494c453ff20cdaeee555a7.jpg

...'ere, wot u lookin at!

1416554742_Squirrel091220202-RMweb.jpg.32d047b4cb73500c4429e6b8fa35f428.jpg

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

Not close to this wildlife (cellphone camera at high magnification) but I thought it might be interesting. This is a group of crows 'mobbing' a bald eagle (bottom right).

IMG_0173.jpg.f91f0bbcf811a42445d137c1ad99d988.jpg

This usually happens in the nesting season, when they're being protective of their nests. They will even 'divebomb' people if they think they are getting too close; I've had it done to me. Obviously, there are no active nests at the moment - maybe they're just getting some practice in for next year. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Went down to feed the birds this morning and say hello to 2021, it was still pretty dark and I was treated to loads of these flying around my head and making funny little chirping noises in the trees, never had them in my garden before.

DSCF2693.JPG.8c39256766f2808077e5db950f120908.JPG

DSCF2711.JPG.a5181c8ee4c1eff18f1f08664b476651.JPG

A nice start to hopefully a better year. 

Edited by sb67
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see what they've come in for (ie the fat balls) I have several feeders in my garden but don't often get LTTs although I see them regularly around the area.

The other birds I would like to attract more often are the Goldfinches. Again they are quite prevalent in the area and often sit on the telephone wires above my house, I have tried a special feeder filled with Niger seed in a couple of different spots but they rarely bother with it .... any advice or thoughts anybody ?

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Nice to see what they've come in for (ie the fat balls) I have several feeders in my garden but don't often get LTTs although I see them regularly around the area.

The other birds I would like to attract more often are the Goldfinches. Again they are quite prevalent in the area and often sit on the telephone wires above my house, I have tried a special feeder filled with Niger seed in a couple of different spots but they rarely bother with it .... any advice or thoughts anybody ?

Regards,

Ian.

Goldfinches are strange we can go from having 30 day  to none then back to 30 a day in the space of a week then they may disappear for a couple of weeks 

John 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Dave Searle said:

“Our” goldfinches love sunflower hearts, but can be very fussy/messy (one for me, one for the floor, one for me, another one for the floor...)

Cheers,

Dave

Yes, I've seen the same with Coal Tits, literally throwing stuff over their shoulders until they find something that they like. I have some rather exotic grass growing under my main feeders !

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

the feeders have been very quite today despite it been very cold i wonder if last nights fireworks has scared them off as it was very bad around here 

John 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2021 at 17:32, Dave Searle said:

“Our” goldfinches love sunflower hearts, but can be very fussy/messy (one for me, one for the floor, one for me, another one for the floor...)

Cheers,

Dave

Success..... 2 days after changing the food in one of my back garden feeders to Sunflower hearts I've just noted 3 Goldfinches tucking in !

Many thanks,

Ian.

• Like 6

Blue heron (and reflection):

IMG_0198.jpg.2c43dc9a9c5a4aa5d1b1bfe1b4d5491b.jpg

And some of his friends (OK - they're not close):

IMG_0201.jpg.cf714374df7eeb7799f709ce0d6608a2.jpg 

There's a heronry right behind me where I took that second picture, but none of the nests are occupied yet.

• Like 9