The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

1 hour ago, jbqfc said:

yes it is we see on or around this day every year 

John

Thanks John. Imy girlfriends seen one in her garden a couple of years ago. 

I look forward to seeing a Jersey Tiger moth at the same time every year and sure enough it appeared the other day :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Early this afternoon I went out into the garden and nearly tripped over a fox as it shot out of the shrubbery. It had made itself a 'nest' and had probably been sleeping when I disturbed it. Also there was a slug who had attempted to cross the patio in full sun yesterday. I spotted it yesterday and it was still there this morning somewhat dry and shrivelled up.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I had a Hornet in the house a couple of years ago, well I think it was a hornet, it might have been a queen wasp looking for somewhere to make a nest. I quickly dispatched it with a fly spray.

Three years ago we had a wasp nest in the loft, we found out because they chewed through the ceiling plasterboard and started entering the bedroom!

Had to get a pest exterminator in for that one...apparently the stuff they use is just ant powder, just a lot more of it.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Three years ago we had a wasp nest in the loft, we found out because they chewed through the ceiling plasterboard and started entering the bedroom!

Had to get a pest exterminator in for that one...apparently the stuff they use is just ant powder, just a lot more of it.

I had a wasps nest in the brickwork of the house. They'd got in through a tiny gap in the corner of the bathroom window sill. Fortunately they never got inside the house, only inside the cavity wall, but I made sure the bathroom window stayed shut. Once they had gone I got the builder in to seal the gap and do a bit of re-pointing. It probably wouldn't have been a problem in subsequent years as wasps change their nest sites every year but I was taking no chances.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a big wasp's nest in my loft the first year I was in my current house - 3' diameter, but they weren't getting in to the house so I left that well alone (fished it out the next spring to get rid of it, they die off over the winter and don't re-use nests). There must be one from last year up there too somewhere, I kept getting dead and dying wasps appearing on a windowsill last autumn, and one landed on my neck and stung me.

• Friendly/supportive 2

At the weekend I kept thinking I was seeing something in the corner of my eye. So I set my trail camera up and sure enough confirmed my suspicions.......

B795AF0C-01FF-4EBB-863E-4D0A434AE6E2.jpeg.734ab82568664bbe7c43c08e3bf2a8e4.jpeg

Evidently they’re living under my decking. So that’s going to be fun to deal with. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm more worried about stoats around here a the moment!

Chris, does she have a name?

She just oozes contempt and attitude!

(Good kill though.   :)   )

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

At the weekend I kept thinking I was seeing something in the corner of my eye. So I set my trail camera up and sure enough confirmed my suspicions.......

B795AF0C-01FF-4EBB-863E-4D0A434AE6E2.jpeg.734ab82568664bbe7c43c08e3bf2a8e4.jpeg

Evidently they’re living under my decking. So that’s going to be fun to deal with. 

Get the Council in; it's not expensive and their poison is more potent than you can get in the shops. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Clagsniffer said:

Of the four gardens in the vicinity of mine, three of them have cats. Unfortunately the only thing they do in my garden is sh!t everywhere :angry:.

Might have to dust off the .22

A water pistol is better against cats - they know whats' hit them!

Kev.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I'm more worried about stoats around here a the moment!

Chris, does she have a name?

She just oozes contempt and attitude!

(Good kill though.   :)   )

Kev.

Ha..he is called Robbie and he is a big softie unless you are vermin or a pigeon with a gammy leg.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, SHMD said:

A water pistol is better against cats - they know whats' hit them!

Kev.

That reminds me of when I was watering the garden I noticed that a shrub was looking a bit dusty so I turned the hose on it. How was I to know that the neighbours ginger tom was having a nap in the bush.:D

• Funny 3

Proving once again that the best camera is the one you've got with you (phone in this case), this heron was undisturbed by either me or a passing cement train, down by the canal in Rotherham last week.

After the train passed, I videoed it, walking slowly towards it, and got within about 10ft before it flapped off.

1336494472_Heron13aug20.jpg.449232fb641670aa143e365a3ab619f3.jpg

• Like 9