The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Yesterday, when coming back from getting the mail, I saw a gray fox crossing the back of the yard. The first one that I have seen in many years. I wish that I had my camera with me. :(

We have some white Pheasants in the fields up from us, nothing in the garden but the normal pheasants unfortunately, the white ones look really odd.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The whitethroat reminds me I could do with some bird recognition help please.

Warbler sized...very distinctive black and white head visible from a distance, and orange-red underwings and belly. Old woodland riverside habitat , darting out to catch mayflies for the hungry brood hidden in the trees.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Common redstart.

image.png.b13b4f3ac6c2c28f5e2c9fbd262d2406.png

Now that’s a lovely piccy.....

First time I’d seen a Warbler yesterday, thought it was an Aquatic but too rare so probably a Sedge Warbler, similar colouring.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cross-posted from the garden birds thread, but the woodpeckers have been busy this year.

First this juvenile:

woodpecker.jpg

And this morning, three juveniles and an adult. Two of the juveniles are in this shot, the third was just slightly out of frame:

woodpeckers.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2020 at 20:29, PhilJ W said:

Common redstart.

image.png.b13b4f3ac6c2c28f5e2c9fbd262d2406.png

On 13/06/2020 at 17:24, Phil R said:

Hi Phil 

Sounds like a male Redstart. 

Kind Regards 

Phil 

Many thanks gentlemen. Looking at BTO video to n YouTube you are spot on. Never knowingly seen one before but not surprised the habitat where I was - Mowley Wood I n Herefordshire- came up with something a bit different, is a beautiful secluded valley with old meadows and oak woods .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Got very close to wildlife yesterday morning on the way to work. A deer ran out in front of me. Fortunately we both managed to stop at the same time, nothing more than a gentle bump into the side of the car, but it gave a dirty look, as if to say "What the **** are you doing here at this time of the day", before strolling away. Couple of miles further on, there was a pigeon in the road. Started flying away in plenty of time, then changed it's mind and flew directly at me. Bang on the door mirror and a cloud of feathers in the air behind me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Since the quiet of early lock-down it appears we have acquired some new visitors to our garden, who now come back regularly (despite the increase in human activity) to clear up discarded birdseed:

IMAG0046.JPG.50cba5a6613708093ea5d5bac1dae9a2.JPG

IMAG0134.JPG.cd68210f91bc7713744578ad2872045f.JPG

And on some occasions, two at once which seemed to lead to a little altercation:

IMAG0455.JPG.7cef79afae1749a28a67b32e9756e9d2.JPG

IMAG0456.JPG.d95f37f6a43e8b7bad0c8c53cbc5bf1c.JPG

Note also the snail on the base of the bird feeder "running" away :)

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2020 at 09:09, Dave Searle said:

Since the quiet of early lock-down it appears we have acquired some new visitors to our garden, who now come back regularly (despite the increase in human activity) to clear up discarded birdseed:

IMAG0046.JPG.50cba5a6613708093ea5d5bac1dae9a2.JPG

IMAG0134.JPG.cd68210f91bc7713744578ad2872045f.JPG

And on some occasions, two at once which seemed to lead to a little altercation:

IMAG0455.JPG.7cef79afae1749a28a67b32e9756e9d2.JPG

IMAG0456.JPG.d95f37f6a43e8b7bad0c8c53cbc5bf1c.JPG

Note also the snail on the base of the bird feeder "running" away :)

Cheers,

Dave

Very nice, and may I wish you less destruction than I had when the obvious food ran out in my garden. 

They dug up most of the lawn, tipped over all of the tubs and pulled the plants out, split the liner in the garden pond letting out all the water, and dug large holes in the bottom of garden fences and underneath them. 

Some mornings we went outside to be greeted by what resembled a bomb site. 

We were so happy when the RSPCA relocated them to somewhere more appropriate. 

• Informative/Useful 2

We normally get a lot of badger damage in the winter and early spring but this year they were still digging up the lawn in May. A couple of weeks ago we had a badger on the patio at 6.00pm. It was back again a couple of days later at 10.00pm when it was still light here. Didn't have my phone ready to record it though!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Five Cygnets having a feeding frenzy. I was a bit worried because the parents have started bringing their cygnets across the main road to the green. I have tried blocking a hole in the fence to stop this. Anyway, as they were there I fed the cygnets whilst the parents supervised my every move, then corralled them safely back across the road to the safety of the lake where they usually reside.

• Like 5