The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The female flattens her spines and spreadeagles herself from what I saw. 

Ours hadn't worked that out they were just snuffling around each other very noisily! Hoglets were in neighbours garden later in the year so they got there in the end.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hog visitors last night....

My outside camera spotted one snuffling around at about 0545 earlier in the week.  Rare to see one in daylight.

Adrian

12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I envy you, we haven't seen any around here for at least twenty years. A combination of being an 'island' surrounded by busy roads, urban foxes and nearby badger setts sees to that.

We do feel honoured by their presence Phil....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/04/2020 at 09:05, Phil Bullock said:

Hog visitors last night....

Looks happy Phil,  let's hope you get hoglets  sometime soon. You may get two litters but hopefully if you get a second one they will be old enough and big enough to hibernate. 

We had three late hoglets that spent the winter with us

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Russ

They are very happy at the moment!

I did eventually get round to cleaning out their hibernaculum which was devoid of occupants - apart from a ruddy great spider - but it plainly had been used in the winter going by the amount of imported bedding.

Heres hoping....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Russ

They are very happy at the moment!

I did eventually get round to cleaning out their hibernaculum which was devoid of occupants - apart from a ruddy great spider - but it plainly had been used in the winter going by the amount of imported bedding.

Heres hoping....

Sounds very promising Phil 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My wife and I have taken to sitting outside around 9pm to do a bit of bat-watching. Tonight we were given an extra treat! With plenty of light still in the sky, a tawny owl landed on our chimney and sat there for a good five minutes before giving us a great view of his wings as he departed. This was the closest I've ever come to seeing an owl in daylight and  one of only a handful of owl sightings in my life. Magic!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Was out in the garden taking stock this morning....

We moved in to this house 10 years ago, garden not massive - about 35ft square - but a blank palette laid to lawn. We have planted a flowering cherry and a crab apple, and theres a Bramley apple coming along too. Herbaceous borders along two sides....

Proximity to nature is key for me - particularly at the moment. We feed the birds and the hogs to encourage this.

This morning the bird life has been fantastic entertainment - even the sparrow and starlings are great fun to watch - and the goldfinches were serenading from the cherry tree. Theres a steady stream of holly blues and orange tips passing through and the ceanothus hums with bees. This evening there will be bats and the hogs visit every night.

Feels like we have got somewhere with encouraging wildlife in....shows what can be done even in a relatively small urban garden. Happy days!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Not technically wildlife, but he was not very happy when I entered his field.

Horned Norfolk ram which is part of a flock kept by The Boxmoor Trust.

Bernard

DSC_0728.JPG.e934833c0de3645ef01e16814076d342.JPG

Run away....!!!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Just gone to put the hog food and camera out - its usually 10.30 or so before they appear..... to be greeted by 3 of them!!! Fantastic. Hope the camera gets some action...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

We're envious of those hedgehogs!

I got my bat detector today so went out to have a go, but little or no bat activity this evening, perhaps because of the temperature. However, the tawny owl was back on the chimney! I was so fixated with my new gadget that my wife had to give me a shove to get me to look at the chimney. The owl stayed for about five minutes. flew off, then reappeared at the top of a pine tree, silhouetted against the dusk sky. Quite marvellous! I think in one week I've doubled the number of owl sightings I've made in my lifetime. Prior to this week the last time was about 15 years ago in Holland and then about 25 years ago in Devon!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Down by the churchyard in our village the other day, I came across a young tawny in a hedge, near where there's an owl box. I didn't spot it until the last minute and it seemed completely unfazed by my presence and we stood for ages watching each other just an arm's length apart. A couple of days later, I saw an adult tawny in the same area, which I presume was a parent. I believe young tawny owls leave the nest and spend quite a while hopping around nearby branches before they can actually fly, which would explain why this one was where it was.

1995502858_Tawnyowl2.jpg.349bd1fbce8fa0b2842a4db1c775a86e.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 14

We've put several bird boxes up in the garden and all were occupied within days. One of them is just outside the house so we can watch the tit's coming and going continually. It's been wonderful for several weeks watching the parents go back and forth feeding their young. This morning a little head popped out of the box as clearly the youngsters were ready to leave. We felt like proud grandparents as the first one left the nest.

Sadly within half an hour, we heard this little scream and a b*stard magpie swooped in and one was gone....

It's time like this I hate the darker side of nature. :(

Not strictly wild life, but my koi have gone spawn crazy. It started a couple of days ago and this morning has been chaotic trying to keep them in the pond. There are continual splashing sounds and weed everywhere. The smell is pretty dire and the water has gone from gin clear to totally cloudy. Clearly they are all having a good time, but keep the sex noise down a tad, guys, some of us are trying to rest......;)

DSCF1105.jpg.52f417d3c7be032535d16ee6781439c9.jpg

• Like 8