The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium

Popped into the garden about 3 o'clock this afternoon and found the air full of bees. They'd decided to settle on the hawthorn hedge.

After 30 minutes or so they'd quietened down and I took this picture. They may move on as it seems an odd place to start a new hive.

I've called the local beekeeper, but not had a reply yet.

attachicon.gif100_1800.JPG

We had another swarm about 25 years ago. Came home to find the corner of the garage covered in bees. The local beekeeper took them too. I expect he's passed on now though. 

Rob

Well, the bees have gone! At about the same time as they arrived yesterday, they started to swarm again. The air in the garden was filled with them, and they headed off towards the east. Perhaps they were only resting up.

I never did hear back from the beekeeper I called. I tried several today with no success(before the bees left). One had his car in for repair, the next was at the hospital, and the last didn't call back. 

Lucky the bees decided to leave then.

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A warm humid evening with us today

Thought it might be good for hog watching.

And so it transpired....arrived at 10 oclock and went straight for the dish of Spike's Dinner

Wonderful! But how to take photos without spooking ?

Phil

• Like 2

A warm humid evening with us today

Thought it might be good for hog watching.

And so it transpired....arrived at 10 oclock and went straight for the dish of Spike's Dinner

Wonderful! But how to take photos without spooking ?

Phil

Birdwatcher's ploy - sit somewhere close by with a camo' net/sheet thrown over self and then wait for.....no?....I thought not. 

:O

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

If you're happy with more or less monochrome images, many animals do not see red light, so rig up a flood light with red gel. Alternatively, use a dimmer on normal lamp, and gradually increase the brightness over a week or two.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No photo but when I just went out to get in the washing (don't ask!), I nearly tripped over a badger. Judging by the speed of his departure, he was almost as scared as I was.

This is the first time I have seen one in our garden. However, I have seen them on the railway embankment at the bottom of the garden and this is just 9 miles from London Bridge.

Tony

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

On a walk this afternoon, we saw a pair of sandhill cranes. I don't know just how unusual they are in the area, but someone with a much better camera than mine was shooting off hundreds (literally) of pictures of them.

The pair - apparently they mate for life:

post-1771-0-75249000-1533777197.jpg

and a solo shot:

post-1771-0-40741600-1533777209.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

not wild but this was my 50th birthday present from my lovely wife Clare an afternoon flying birds of prey i think Clare did well with pics as it was here first time using my DSLR

30020053198_d981c7a2de_b.jpgharris hawk by john brace, on Flickr

28921719827_28f8481661_b.jpgBarn owl by john brace, on Flickr

28931200157_0c0ac5f7ba_b.jpgAplomado falcon by john brace, on Flickr

30019961458_4d6114301f_b.jpgKestrel by john brace, on Flickr

28923748927_4759de0c46_b.jpgEuropean eagle owl by john brace, on Flickr

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Last Wednesday was the usual model railway club night, the clubhouse is situated on the perimeter of a local park. The clubhouse was a bit warm so some of us went outside just as dusk was falling. To our surprise we saw several bats flitting around just as darkness fell. I assume that they roost somewhere in the trees surrounding the clubhouse as there are no other suitable roosts in the neighbourhood. Not certain of the species but they were slightly bigger than a sparrow.

• RMweb Premium

Make sure they are not roosting in the clubhouse !

They most certainly are not roosting in the clubhouse and AFAIK there are no buildings in the vicinity that are suitable, the nearest buildings have only gone up in the last 20 years or so.

Yesterday afternoon my next-door neighbour gave me a couple of paving slabs for my incinerator to stand on - I moved them a bit later, and was astonished to see a tiny brown frog, about an inch long, sat on one of them. I showed it to SWMBO, but by the time I had sorted out the camera it had disappeared. No idea what sort it was and I have never seen one before in the quarter century+ we have lived here - though away back we did have a toad in the back garden.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope someone can identify my poor description of a raptor for me.  It flew diagonally across the windscreen today, about eye level so I couldn't see the underside of the wings particularly well so not sure of the width of the wings, nor the head.  Bit of a surprise on the motorway.  

It had a wingspan of maybe 2 to 3 feet, and seemed to be all over brownish.  There didn't seem to be much pattern or different colouring to the underside of the wings, but, as above, I couldn't see them well.  Wing tip feathers curved up nicely.  I thought of a buzzard, but the colouring seemed wrong.

?

edit for Phil's post 400      M8 in Renfrewshire, between St James & Erskine Bridge junctions

Edited by duncan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hope someone can identify my poor description of a raptor for me.  It flew diagonally across the windscreen today, about eye level so I couldn't see the underside of the wings particularly well so not sure of the width of the wings, nor the head.  Bit of a surprise on the motorway.  

It had a wingspan of maybe 2 to 3 feet, and seemed to be all over brownish.  There didn't seem to be much pattern or different colouring to the underside of the wings, but, as above, I couldn't see them well.  Wing tip feathers curved up nicely.  I thought of a buzzard, but the colouring seemed wrong.

?

Where exactly was this? Your description sounds like an eagle owl, which have been reported in some parts of the country.

Edited by PhilJ W