The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas including Osney Shed

rcf

• RMweb Premium

I would advise to try and make the board as wide as you can, particularly if you want to do passenger movements, as any kind of station building will just suck up space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Hi Rob,

hoping this finds you in fine fettle!

I've been spending a very pleasant evening re-reading your Osney thread, and I can only reiterate what so many have said: your layouts are a delight to behold.

My ulterior motive for this is a search for inspiration, and for that I've once more been studying Bude Quay and Osney Town Wharf.

You see, I'm thinking of a simple goods-only micro layout that draws from the likes of Wantage Lower Yard and the Bishop's Castle Railway with scruffy trackwork and workaday buildings.

Bude Quay and OTW provide inspiration in spades, so I hope you won't mind too much if I borrow a few ideas 😉

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, mullie said:

If you can,  try and see Rob's layouts 'in the flesh' it is well worth it. They are even better.

Martyn 

Martyn, I would love to! It's a bit of a trek to, say, Hayle from Chesterfield so I'd have to tie it in with "a little weekend break in Cornwall, dear!" 😉 One day, p'raps!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 08/07/2024 at 17:19, Sir Madog said:

I forgot to ask - how deep is your layout?

Wasn't that a Bee Gees song? 😉

Edited by bcnPete
Edited to grab coat...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2024 at 22:06, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Rob,

hoping this finds you in fine fettle!

I've been spending a very pleasant evening re-reading your Osney thread, and I can only reiterate what so many have said: your layouts are a delight to behold.

My ulterior motive for this is a search for inspiration, and for that I've once more been studying Bude Quay and Osney Town Wharf.

You see, I'm thinking of a simple goods-only micro layout that draws from the likes of Wantage Lower Yard and the Bishop's Castle Railway with scruffy trackwork and workaday buildings.

Bude Quay and OTW provide inspiration in spades, so I hope you won't mind too much if I borrow a few ideas 😉

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, 

We have just got back home after an extended holiday, which was intended as a celebration of a couple of big birthdays and an upcoming retirement and am now catching up, so sorry if it appeared I was ignoring you! I will be interested to see what you come up with, particularly if you use Wantage as a subject. I have looked at that a few times as a possible layout. In the meantime feel free to use any ideas you can get from my efforts.

regards Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rcf said:

Hi Mark, 

We have just got back home after an extended holiday, which was intended as a celebration of a couple of big birthdays and an upcoming retirement and am now catching up, so sorry if it appeared I was ignoring you! I will be interested to see what you come up with, particularly if you use Wantage as a subject. I have looked at that a few times as a possible layout. In the meantime feel free to use any ideas you can get from my efforts.

regards Rob

Hi Rob, 

no worries - I dip in and out of Rmweb often with extended gaps between, and never with as good a reason as holidays celebrating big birthdays and retirement! I do hope you had a most enjoyable time!

I'm still procrastinating, but my reason is my wife and I have just moved house and so much is still hiding in boxes, and much is still in turmoil.

Looking forward to seeing your next update. 

Kind regards, 

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a couple of months since I had anything positive to report on the latest creation but now that everything has settled down after the summer recess it's back to work. Progress has all been in the one area at the moment, namely the station end, so a couple of photos to show the present situation:

TS238.JPG.a6b05145c258e634aefa8b9effa5b2e1.JPGTS239.JPG.b2c6e24158e06dd0d6e71cf3ccad2999.JPG

The first picture shows the relationship of the grass embankment with the platform where there is still a lot to do in respect of railings and platform furniture but I am pleased with the picture so far. The vegetation is a new product for me. It was referred to recently on the 'Ewe's' topic in a general discussion on vegetation and after looking on line at the two products under discussion I went for what you see. It is Lars op't Hot Scenery, a little bit more expensive than what I have used in the past but when you only need  a small amount, as I do, I think the end result is well worth it. More of the same to come as I work my way along the platform with one major project still to tackle, the station building itself.

regards Rob

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rcf said:

Lars op't Hot Scenery

Hi Rob, 

Just googled this and their turf mats are very impressive. Prices are a bit eye watering but for a micro layout definitely worth considering. 

The layout is looking great, not just the greenery but the whole. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Rob, 

Just googled this and their turf mats are very impressive. Prices are a bit eye watering but for a micro layout definitely worth considering. 

The layout is looking great, not just the greenery but the whole. 

Cheers, 

Mark

Thanks for that Mark, as you say a bit eye watering but worth it for a small amount and you need less of other products, so it may balance out. Having used it I am in this strange position of feeling that I should be doing more. I am used to building up layers of vegetation with a little bit of mat here and there to give variety and then layers of assorted static grass. With this mat I have just stuck it down and I'm left with this feeling that I should do more, but what!!!

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rcf said:

Thanks for that Mark, as you say a bit eye watering but worth it for a small amount and you need less of other products, so it may balance out. Having used it I am in this strange position of feeling that I should be doing more. I am used to building up layers of vegetation with a little bit of mat here and there to give variety and then layers of assorted static grass. With this mat I have just stuck it down and I'm left with this feeling that I should do more, but what!!!

Cheers Rob

Yes, I can imagine that - the Lars op't mat looks like the "complete treatment" in one fell swoop! I'm definitely tempted to give it a try-out.

Mark

• Like 1

• rcf changed the title to The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas including Osney Shed
  • RMweb Premium

You will not be surprised to see the alteration change to the title of this topic. Yes, its the latest in a long line of layouts using variations of this name. I know this suggests that all the layouts relate to the same subject but  this is not the case as all the layouts are subjects in their own right. However, for me it maintains a link through all, well almost all my builds. I first used the name Osney, which is pronounced with a long 'o' as in hose, when I based an earlier layout on Dursley. I was looking for a name which had a similar feel to it and remembered that I used to live in Oxford where the area of Osney is just to the west of the railway station in Oxford and has the Thames running through it, including Osney Lock, where I spent many happy hours in my youth. So that's why I have continued its use and it seems to provide a link to visitors to the shows who tend to know what they are getting when they see an Osney layout on the publicity, although faintly curious as to why I use the name!

As to the currant build, now known as Osney Shed, I have added some more vegetation on the embankment, as I was unable to leave well alone, but I think I got away with it 😉 No pictures as yet but am concentrating on the station building at the moment but will post some soon hopefully.

Rob

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Following on from my last post some pictures to illustrate the present position. As I mentioned last time I have added some extra bits of vegetation to the embankment, this is mainly 'low bushes' from the same producers of the grass mat, which is described as 'Wild verge spring', with a little bit of foliage along the railings from the miniNatur range. The photos also show a visitor to the station, intended to test the station building and check clearances. The building itself still has a lot of detailing work and painting to be done but I am happy with the way the diorama is progressing.

Rob

TS240.JPG.adf542f5921861f4ff50491b0060d443.JPGTS241.JPG.8429643bfee92ed550cb5da48ec1c9f8.JPGTS43.JPG.35406a339085325803e5ca74f3e55f38.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2