Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

Morning all. Went to Penzance with the missus yesterday evening and spotted 150129 at the station with partnership branding. This is the second unit i've seen with branding. Reminds of the former wessex units.

post-6777-0-21862700-1337940001_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes not the most flattering piece of graphic design....

But it's simply the logo that they normally use!

You need to look beyond this at the huge increase in patronage that the Partnership have been instrumental in helping achieve - this has pretty well given all these lines an assured future...

Totaly agree Captain when I was down at Penzance and rode some of the branches all trains were very busy also the FGW services down and up were also busy,plenty of information and they have enthused FGW staff as well long mat it carry on.

Yes not the most flattering piece of graphic design....

I'm sure they have more productive ways to spend their rather limited funds than paying someone to come up with a snazzy logo. Long may they continue in the same vein.

I'm sure they have more productive ways to spend their rather limited funds than paying someone to come up with a snazzy logo. Long may they continue in the same vein.

If you're trying to get people to use the train branding is very important; It's all well and good improving services but you need to bring people to the railway in the first place and brand is how you convey this message. The current brand makes the Devon and Cornwall Partnership look cheap and unappealing.

Even if money is very tight surely they could have a competition of some description? I am sure there would many proffesional graphic artists, such as myself, as well as many talented amateur designers who'd love to see their design on their local trains.

Regards,

Jack

I have to agree that the sign does look amaturish, but it does tell readers what it means. This cannot be said of an awful lot of modern " designed signs" seen on vans and trucks. Even on the railway a logo that has to be explained isn't doing it's job.

Paul L

• RMweb Gold

Well, OK, if you like, I'll ask the manager of the Partnership what he thinks!

I don't think the 'label' on the unit was designed especially for the unit, rather it's been in use by the Partnership for some years on letterheads etc.

To be honest, the increase in patronage is so spectacular, that the design of their logo is really a side issue, for example, in 2011 the Looe branch saw 100,000 journeys for the first time in its history. The Barnstaple branch increased patronage from 250,000 journeys in 2005 to 500,000 in 2011. The pattern is repeated on all the other branches, even Newquay.

Having seen a lot of their literature (both disposable and posters) I can state that the only message they are very succesfully getting over is the basic "see where are trains take you to and how easy it is" detail done in a very profesional way.

This not an oganisation which considers itself greater than their project, unlike many larger outfits, indeed their self recognition is normally acknowledged by a short statement - supported by the Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership - which acknowledges that the partnership is only the front for a larger number of groups working for the common good.

• RMweb Gold

Arguments about corporate branding and house-style famously take up more time - and rouse more passion - in boardroom meetings than product and financial matters! Any organisation that so clearly puts its admirable purpose before its image has to be commended. The Captain's statistics just show what good work they do. Handsome is as handsome does.

Guest 34008Padstow

Saw a leaflet promoting st ives park and ride. Also has the new logo in the corner

post-6777-0-64023500-1338994709_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The partnership do a good job,but why cant they get the doors on the 150,s to stop ratterling as the units on the move.?

That's not really their role - that's the responsibility of the TOC - FGW.

The Partnership exists to promote the use of local rail services, and as such is not a part of the TOC, but is supported by them and other parties, such as all main local authorities in the region.

Archived