Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Boxed Loco Sets

• RMweb Premium

Remembering that there was a boxed set of WD locos in various liveries, what other combinations might be interesting sellers?

I like the idea of Humorist in all her variations.

And possibly a set of married couples: Duke of Gloucester and Duchess of Gloucester.

What else might the marketing department come up with?

How about all the Royal locos for a Diamond Jubilee set (Duchess of Sutherland, King Edward I, Tornado and Britannia with Headboards and other extra details).

• RMweb Gold

How about transition era box sets? Take your pick of early BR diesels in pristine condition, unpowered, and a sutiably filthy and run down steam locomotive to tow them. Lots of choice!

'Entire Class' sets. All the Deltics, all the Westerns, all the Class 50s, numbered & named individually. The box itself might need a pallet truck to move it around the house, but what a sight when you open it... :)

Of course, one could always go the whole hog and do all 512 Class 47s :O

At, say, £70 each I make that £35,840

How about transition era box sets? Take your pick of early BR diesels in pristine condition, unpowered, and a sutiably filthy and run down steam locomotive to tow them. Lots of choice!

I posted a similar idea on the Hornby forum a few years ago and it was pretty much immediately taken down. I'd essentially suggested that they marry up tender-drive locomotives with loco-drive tenders (with the 8F/Black 5 I believe that this would be possible) and then weather them with an all over rust effect. I can't see why they would take it down, but perhaps I made a typo when typing 'scrap' and they took offence?

I know that Hornby did various limited editions for the 15 guinea special, but it would be good to see all the locomotives in one set!

• RMweb Gold

Of course, one could always go the whole hog and do all 512 Class 47s :O

Or the lottery win option: all 512 class 47s supplied in every individual number and livery variation they ever carried. I have absolutely no idea what the total number of locos would be :scratchhead:.

How about locos of different types with the same name? A few for starters:

• 'King George VI' - GWR King Class 6028 and LMS 'Corronation' 6244.
  • 'Prince of Wales' - Ex LNWR 4-6-0 (LMS no 5600), LNER A1 no 60054, Great Central 'Director' class, Vale of Rheidol no 9, GWR ?Star Class
  • 'Britannia' - LMS Jubilee 5700 and BR standard 7MT 70000 + AN Other ??
  • 'City of London' - LMS Corronation 6245 and LNER B17 2870 (particularly interesting combination as both were at one time streamlined)

Paul

What an enlightening thread: I now understand why Hornby have done the Thompson B1 and O1, despite the competing Bachmann B1, and tendency to obscurity of the O1. They have hinted already at this set with their Bulleid light pacific plus Stanier tender.

They are building up to 2018 for a '70 year anniversary of the BR locomotive trials set'. In the range already the King, Duchess, Rebuilt Scot, A4 and much of the MN, the Black 5, B1 and light pacific, and the 28xx, 8F and shortly the O1. All they need to do is the original condition MN, a Hall and the WD 2-8-0, and they are home. Plenty of time to progress steadily in getting those tooled up in the next five years, and some models of dynamometer cars...

• RMweb Premium

A fun thread. So I suggest a box set containing all the Gresley A4s (by number), in original livery. Don't even consider the name changes/livery changes as this set is going to be expensive enough as it is!

35 at £150 each (say) ... around £5k. Still a bargain!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Bullied Collection

WC

Q1

Leader

The should have been put down at birth collection

What am I doing!

Its thoughts of the F**l

Bernard

Bernard - get to see your GP immediately! With thoughts of the F**l you may need detailed psychiatric help!!

Good luck with the treatment,

Jeff

Hi All,

How about 6023, 4079 & 5051 - the GWS express passenger fleet. Or how about all 3 preserved Kings? We could call that one 'We Three Kings' and make it an essential Christmas gift idea for us GWR geeks. We could also appeal to the heavy freight fraternity now and easily do all three preserved 72XXs. Going really mad and lets have 2 boxed sets, each with half (to make it even vaguely affordable!) the preserved Castle fleet in them. 4073, 4079, 5029, 5043, 5051, 5080, 7027 & 7029.

In the flights of fancy category, how about all three Pendennis Castles (Duke Class, Castle Class and Class 57)? We got close in reality with 57604, the frames of 4079 and 4079s name plates. These contain the original letters from the first Pendennis Castle.

I guess those were predictable answers from me...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Two "Tractor Glens" sets:

1. 37424 Glendarroch and 37326 Glengarnock both in large logo blue livery

2. 37403 Glendarroch in Railfreight Speedlink Distribution livery and 37111 Glengarnock in Railfreight Metals livery

(or a mix of the two)

A pack of three North British-built diesels themed "The Ones That Missed Preservation"

D601 Ark Royal (was at Barry until 1980)

Class 21/29 D6122 (was at Barry until 1980)

Class 22 D6319 (set aside for preservation in 1972, but scrapped at Swindon due to a communication mix-up)

My ultimate boxed set would be the preserved pre-group locos that BR ran in Scotland plus the ex-GSWR loco and City of Truro, all modelled to today's standards:

NBR Glen D34 4-4-0

Highland Rly Jones Goods 4-6-0

Caledonian Rly Single 4-2-2

GNSR D40 4-4-0

G&SWR 0-6-0T

GWR City of Truro 4-4-0 (yes, it ran in and around Glasgow for the Scottish Industries Exhibition in 1959)

How about locos of different types with the same name? A few for starters:

• 'Prince of Wales' - Ex LNWR 4-6-0 (LMS no 5600), LNER A1 no 60054, Great Central 'Director' class, Vale of Rheidol no 9, GWR ?Star Class

Paul

Bear in mind that it's now been officially confirmed by the VoR that the loco currently called "Prince of Wales" is not the one that first appeared on the line in 1902! (despite being officially "rebuilt" during GWR ownership, when the original drawings surfaced a few years ago it turned out the first loco and the rebuild had no parts in common!). [The VoR locos also had numerous alterations over the years (wider bunkers during the Cambrian era and GWR fittings in the 20s) but lost their nameplates when the Cambrian took over so these other alterations wouldn't count.]

I have (several times) attempted to calculate how many model VoR locos I would need to capture every variation of body fitting and livery, and lost count every time! (I was tempted to paint one in Wales & Borders Alphaline colours a few years ago but one in ATW colours would make unlined BR blue seem good in comparison!)

A steam speed record holder's set (liveries per when the record was broken). Something like:

• City of Truro
  • Flying Scotsman
  • Mallard

A "Race to the North" set

• Stirling Single
  • Precedent No. 790 Hardwicke

I also like the OPs original idea of a single locomotive in every livery/number/rebuild combination that it served in, though I think Flying Scotsman would have broader appeal than Humorist. Personally I would limit Flying Scotsman to pre-preservation days (to cut down on the number of models). Channel Packet would work well here too, or a Castle that got a Hawksworth tender, even better if there is one that had a name change.

The variation on this theme is every combination of livery/details for a particular class, rather than a single locomotive. A Merchant Navy from each substantially different batch/rebuild, showing the variations in casing details and liveries.

Another alternative is every combination of A4 livery:

• Doncaster green
  • Doncaster green with vertical black end
  • Silver
  • Garter blue
  • Black
  • BR Blue (both of them)
  • BR Green

In case anyone thinks these are serious, they are just in the spirit of fun the OP suggested. Even the most ardent "collector" might baulk at a £1000 box set. (Though if you released one per year in matching packaging, you would no doubt get takers.)

Or how about all 3 preserved Kings? We could call that one 'We Three Kings' and make it an essential Christmas gift idea for us GWR geeks.

They'd need a 'Star' to follow....

I can imagine extra preprogrammed sounds for the 'DCC with sound' version now.

... Westward leading, still proceeding ...

They're even heading in the proper direction.

Not to mention the packaging emulating little treasure chests!

Just so long as the nameplates aren't changed to Melchior, Caspar and Balthazar.

• RMweb Premium

How about locos of different types with the same name? A few for starters:'City of London' - LMS Corronation 6245 and LNER B17 2870 (particularly interesting combination as both were at one time streamlined)

Isn't there another City of London currently on the market/in transit?

How many locos in the London Boroughs set?

A set of five unbuilt loco kits would do for me.

I can write the advertising blurb.

Got a model railway enthusiast in the family with time on his hands during those dull winter months? We have the answer: the locomotive puzzle kit. What he will find in the box are all the parts required to build five different locomotives* with no photographs or assembly diagrams to indicate just what he has got. A random admixture of 20% extra parts from other kits of similar subjects will provide maximum entertainment. Hours and hours of fun.

* As usual, wheels, motor, gears to be sourced by the the builder, once he knows what he is assembling.

• RMweb Premium

I can write the advertising blurb.

Got a model railway enthusiast in the family with time on his hands during those dull winter months? We have the answer: the locomotive puzzle kit. What he will find in the box are all the parts required to build five different locomotives* with no photographs or assembly diagrams to indicate just what he has got. A random admixture of 20% extra parts from other kits of similar subjects will provide maximum entertainment. Hours and hours of fun.

* As usual, wheels, motor, gears to be sourced by the the builder, once he knows what he is assembling.

Available from GROT.

Archived