Hornby belle

oldknotty

This seems to be a bit confusing:

To Clarify:

The Brown Belle does not have illuminated indicator panels on the 2 driving cab cars ( the real thing's indicator panels were lit by 4 bulbs!)

All the centre cars & unpowerd trailer car when coupled up to the power car should have illuminated table lamps irrespective of whether Analogue or DCC s used.

The BLUE/grey unit is exactly the same as the Brown one E X C E P T the indicator panels are illiminated in the dierction of travel with a whitish/yellow light and the one at the rear is illuminated with a RED light ( I Must add though these 2 panels are not all that realistic theres a lot of light escape around the sides of the panel!!

To Clarify:

The Brown Belle does not have illuminated indicator panels on the 2 driving cab cars ( the real thing's indicator panels were lit by 4 bulbs!)

All the centre cars & unpowerd trailer car when coupled up to the power car should have illuminated table lamps irrespective of whether Analogue or DCC s used.

The BLUE/grey unit is exactly the same as the Brown one E X C E P T the indicator panels are illiminated in the dierction of travel with a whitish/yellow light and the one at the rear is illuminated with a RED light ( I Must add though these 2 panels are not all that realistic theres a lot of light escape around the sides of the panel!!

Steve you are correct, appart from the 3rd class coach it is not illuminated on the Umber/Cream, also the later Umber/Cream had blinds, white and red which were iluminated although faintly by yes, the four bulbs.

OK , the Blue pullman has lamps in all carriages even the additional ones.

Getting back to the point. Does not matter which set ,It still should run on DCC and DC as stated, if set up correctly (should be no need as it is the decoders default) we were discussing no lamps on in the carriages and not working on DCC. By the way saffire decoders are a Hornby make (if not said before)

Just ask a silly question, has the decoder been put in the wrong way? Orange pin 1

Steve you are correct, appart from the 3rd class coach it is not illuminated on the Umber/Cream, also the later Umber/Cream had blinds, white and red which were iluminated although faintly by yes, the four bulbs.

OK , the Blue pullman has lamps in all carriages even the additional ones.

Getting back to the point. Does not matter which set ,It still should run on DCC and DC as stated, if set up correctly (should be no need as it is the decoders default) we were discussing no lamps on in the carriages and not working on DCC. By the way saffire decoders are a Hornby make (if not said before)

Just ask a silly question, has the decoder been put in the wrong way? Orange pin 1

Nope I have it in the correct way as I do on all my other locos so that is not the problem maybe just a duff model .Anyway it is off on its way back to Blightey to be replaced

• 1 month later...

I have one blue and one brown 5 Bel and have fitted Loksound decoders to both.

Starting with the brown version - I used a Loksound 4 decoder with Oliviers EMU sound. This works smoothly but does not work the lights which are connected to the AUX 1 output (green wire to pin 3) unfortunately AUX 1 isn't used by Oliviers. I solved this problem by doing some surgery to the PCB.

The Blue 1969 version has been fitted with a Digitrains EMU Loksound 4 decoder. This worked the interior lights and headcode OK. Unfortunately the train performance is poor with sudden surges when starting and stopping. I tried a Howes EMU decoder and that behave the same. The Oliviers decoder worked OK (but not interior lights). I also tried a TCS decoder which worked smoothly and controlled the lights.

This seems like a back emf issue - I'll try removing the motor capacitor if I can find it.

Anyone else had this trouble?

Anyone else had this trouble?

I tried a few decodes in my brown version before settling on a Lenz Silver+ even then I had to fiddle with the cv's before I got acceptable results. I removed the capacitor (mounted on the side of the motor) but it didn't make any difference.

Not tried a sound decoder.

Ray.

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2012 at 18:10, Stevelewis said:

To Clarify:

I ve just taken delivery of a Brighton Belle, a Blue/Grey 1969 version. Overall its a good model, which after some running in has settled down and runs quietly and smoothly. The only thing that spoils the model, is the over bright Head code/Tail light clusters.  I ve tried affixing the horrible reporting numbers and red blind stickers to the indication boxes and to be honest they do not improve the situation ! 

If l was running on DCC ,i suspect l could turn the brightness of these lamps down, at least reducing the light spill from around them, however l am a analogue type guy, so that option is not open to me.

Has anyone tried fitting the Head codes/Tail stickers inside the indicator boxes, or found a suitable way to "mask" the lamps brightness eg painting?

So short of disconnecting the feeds to both light clusters (last option case) does anyone have any other suggestions l could try please?

Cheerd Bob C