Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Blocking back outside the home signal. Covered by the rules if allowed by the sectional appendix.

Blocking back outside would only be issued if the bobby had a normal needle, and then required to shunt wrong line towards the previous box and that shunt would pass beyond the home signal, unlikely to happen much on BCB, more likely the bobby would simply leave the needle pegged to train on line, but blocking back inside which was given if a vehicle need to come to a stand within the clearance point would be quite common.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Blocking back outside would only be issued if the bobby had a normal needle, and then required to shunt wrong line towards the previous box and that shunt would pass beyond the home signal, unlikely to happen much on BCB, more likely the bobby would simply leave the needle pegged to train on line, but blocking back inside which was given if a vehicle need to come to a stand within the clearance point would be quite common.

A couple of further points on this -

Firstly no special authority was needed in the Sectional Appendix or anywhere else to Block Back outside the Home Signal, the only things which mattered were the length/state of the block section in rear, the gradient in rear, and the position of any unworked trailing points (which usually meant catch points).

But as Beast has said the likelihood of an Outside (the Home Signal) Block Back on BCB would be very remote in normal everyday working. But Blocking Back Inside (the Home Signal) would be needed if any shunt was to be made onto and come to a stand on either of the running lines, including briefly coming to a stand prior to reversing because the pointwork is within the quarter mile Clearing Point that exists in advance of the Home Signals.

None of this is a problem - just a simple part of everyday railway work - but it does have an impact on train working because if the Signalman has blocked his Clearing Point it means that he can't accept a train from the signalbox in rear (unless the warning Arrangement is authorised) And on BCB this means you cannot have a train approaching from a fiddle yard if there is something already standing on the running line which that train would be using.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

her's a question... I live in Stafford and there are two ex pubs (one's closed and the other is a curry house) that each have a moulded plaster sculpture on the pubs uprights (between the windows). It is circular, about a foot in diameter with an eagle and in its upraised claw there is a bunch of grapes or maybe a 'hop'. In Wolverhampton a similar design exists on a pub (about half way between fallings wood and Heath Town - on the junction of the A460). The pub is called the Golden Lion (I think, it's a Gold something) This is one moulding, much bigger and this time it is a 'hop'.

Connected ? Does anyone recognise a long lost brewery logo ?

I don't think it's too long-lost Andy but there is a connection somewhere and I'm trying to remember which brewery chains may be involved.

I assume one of your Stafford pubs is The Crispin (as was) - http://goo.gl/maps/xS4Us and I haven't worked out your other Stafford one and Fallings Park's Golden Lion is here http://goo.gl/maps/JneBC

Another one that has it is The Pilot - http://goo.gl/maps/QoYyL which looking at them as a whole they seemed to be larger 1930-50s 'community' pubs built close to residential expansion. I remember The Pilot being an M&B house which led me to track down the emblem of William Butlers who were taken over by M&B - http://www.geolocation.ws/i/E/1904021

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd love to see a flatbed with a load of new toilet pans...

I'm sure you would Stu... :no: :scratchhead:

First progress report - The Bedford TK.

The whole thing has been taken to bits

post-7104-0-53636400-1354546264.jpg

I've started with the body using planked plasticard and Evergreen strip, the headboard strengthened with angle and channel.

post-7104-0-58891100-1354546279.jpg

post-7104-0-88140300-1354546291.jpg

The body will be fixed to the chassis with a 10BA bolt.

post-7104-0-55057100-1354546304.jpg

Fits well!

post-7104-0-42891700-1354546312.jpg

Is this going a bit far with the cab interior detailing?

post-7104-0-05058600-1354546322.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I've been having a look at the area available and reckon that if it is to be a farm at all, then it'll just have to be some random building (like an old barn) rather than all the associated buildings, unless some (most?) are low relief.

I mapped out the area on graph paper, drew in the existing features and then placed on first just a length of track, a suitable industrial loco and an unsuitable lorry for scale, and then took another one with two Skaledale terraced houses on. The thing that springs out is that the building will be pretty close to the crossing or need to be set back a bit, and then there is the consideration of the rising ground.

As such, this option is looking like a winner to me so far, or even something smaller? : http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/GB145_p_3607/

BCB001.jpg

BCB002.jpg

BCB003.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A lot about food and drink on this thread - but not too much by way of culture.

I love the old pubs and beers of the Black Country. First came to know them back in the 70s when canal cruising. Back then there were plenty of pubs that only sold mild on draught. If you wanted "bitter" or lager, you would have had to buy it in a bottle.

In case the canal catches fire?

When I worked in Wednesfield in 1951/2 (!!) there was a story that a lump of pure Sodium metal "went missing" from it's safe environment at a local (canal-side) Aluminium factory. The resulting search culminating in the Sodium being thrown into the canal, where it floated and came to rest against the lock gates. Result was that the heat generated by the reaction between water and Sodium caused the lock gates to catch fire, and the gates having to be replaced!

At this distance in time, I don't know if the story is true, but it is certainly plausible!

• Like 1

I was just thinking that if you push the houses back from the road a bit, it would

allow space up the side to give an entrance to a yard at the rear.

You could then do quite a few small odd shaped buildings there.

See flikr pics beow

http://www.flickr.co...oto/3188722414/

http://www.flickr.co...oto/3187740997/

http://www.flickr.co...N03/4976615904/

In case the canal catches fire?

In Manchester too. In April 1970, an estimated 14000 gallons of petrol 'overflowed' from a tanker whilst it was being loaded at Partington on the Manchester Ship Canal. When it ignited, over a mile of canal was ablaze and five men crossing on Partington ferry (just a rowing boat) were killed, and four severely injured.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any more joy on the brakegear for the 1/434 diagram Plates, Mark?

TBH they have been pushed down the to do list by the more urgent need for bolsters (the Plates being passing traffic while the Bolsters are the bread and butter of our yard). So, other than cutting off a few of the door hinges ready to replace them, I've not done anything else on them for a while. As a result I've not yet followed up on James' suggestion of the Ambis range; might end up being something else to look at getting etched!

• Like 1