Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

If you look hard enough you can (just) see the cottages lurking behind the industrial line bridge...... BUT where have they hidden Black Rat's Water Tower?

Last heard of it had been delivered into Mr.Spams' possession.

I did ask John (Old Gringo) at Stafford who said that in its intended position it blocked too much of the sight lines. 

No doubt Black Rat has been informed of the decision not to use it, but I, for one, would have liked to see what appeared to be a fine piece of modelling, and am disappointed not to have seen a Valedictory note in one of the threads,

We're reviewing where we can fit more industry into the left-hand foreground still (too green and pleasant for my taste) and I've got to come up with some mock-ups but it didn't work placement wise in conjunction with any of the other taken spaces.

• RMweb Gold

We're reviewing where we can fit more industry into the left-hand foreground still (too green and pleasant for my taste) and I've got to come up with some mock-ups but it didn't work placement wise in conjunction with any of the other taken spaces.

Needs more derelict caravans...

• Like 1

On that case may I suggest a plant hire firm in a muddy field with lots of bright yellow JCB's and derelict school buses and lorries plus Container style offices encased in anti-personnel galvanised fencing..... :mail:

Don't forget the overly large caravans with lots of bright chromework and gas bottles strewn around them.

• RMweb Premium

Then perhaps it needs it own thread. !!

I thought they meant why are we not members of the SRC

I was completely lost. Then pleased when Damian cleared it up only to be dashed back to ignorance. It's not an unpleasant place....

Andy

Actually there is one (backscene) a bit like this and it has been around for a couple of years. It's on Albion  Yard. Smaller and less detailed but using the same technique.P

ive long thought such a backscene was a good idea but never made any in roads into how to obtain one and with suitable photography that matches the layout and maybe much of the interest lies in the possibility many other modellers had similar thoughts but never made it happen.

Why is Old Gringo eating in every photo taken I've seen of him on BCB ?

He does it just to make me feel hungry for British Grub (ref. to the Bash Street Kids). He's never said when it was awful because it would spoil the effect.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, over the past couple of years we've built a layout which we are all really proud of and there is no doubt about it that we could not have achieved what we have without the help, advice and encouragement of the RMweb membership.  Within the group we have a number of ideas of what we'd like to do next, some of which has been hinted at in existing threads within the BCB area of the forum.  In this thread we'll develop those ideas into the future plans for the layout and we welcome the continued involvement of the forum members.

A couple of specific areas we've discussed within the team which we'll kick off with are:

• a change of era (the initial focus on a setting of 1975 for the layout was mainly dictated by the stock we had available, there is a lot of interest in backdating the layout to steam days)
  • extend/expand the fiddle yards (to increase capacity and make operation easier)

Watch this space and see where the BCB journey takes us next, feel free to chip in with observations, comments and suggestions.

• Like 5

I'd suggest to earmark it for the forthcoming model railway museum at Ashford, as it will be seen as a bench mark in railway modelling.

Ed

Not just for what it is, but for the way it came about, which must be a first if not unique.

Edited by edcayton
  • Like 1

What kind of changes would be required to backdate the layout to the days of steam? Would this be substantial, or something that could be reversed easily?

We don't think there would be too much to alter to back date bcb by 10-15 Years. The odd building would need renovating and some signage changing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What kind of changes would be required to backdate the layout to the days of steam? Would this be substantial, or something that could be reversed easily?

I think we would want to alternate probably running the stock to suite the event or the operators interest, maybe even Saturday steam / Sunday diesel. Do people do that?

Aggghhh. Can't believe I've just wasted my 1000th post on that little comment........

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mark

Before September  ?  :O :no: :jester:

Ah, yes, timescales......

At this stage we're still scoping out exactly what we want to do, how much work that will need and how long it will take. We'll probably not give ourselves the tight deadlines we had to build the layout. If pushed I'd say the transition is going to take a couple of years to complete, although it could be sooner (or longer) once we get into the detail of what we need to change.

As Andy says above, we could be in a position to be able to offer exhibition managers a choice of which era they would like to see represented.