Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

The backscene gives it a depth and dimension that lends an immediacy to an arresting end to ender that was a highlight for me at Doncaster this weekend.100% effective....and in no way does it take your eye off the board__rather it focuses them on it.I speak as one who viewed the Dudley Hill more times than he cares to remember during his working life.A layout of artistic merit,I think.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

The thing about the backscene is that, not only is it stunning, it's different, nobody has seen anything like it before. The rest of BCB is, essentially, conventional modelling albeit executed to high standards of finish and realism and beautifully integrated together. Not surprising then that the backscene arouses such curiosity.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

I must confess that it upsets me a bit when the backscene gets so much attention when all the real work and time was the rest of the layout and its content; it was only meant to be a seamless suitable backdrop to the effort that had gone into everything else.

The quality of the backscene, not just in having a continuous image but also of the perspective, size and height ADD to the layout. They do not detract from the modelling in anyway, if anything, they enhance and really allow the modelling to shine. If you put that backscene in front of average or ropey scenery, it would look rubbish and would highlight the poor modelling. On BCB, everything seems to have meshed together to create something special so there should be a collective pride in that. Each can work on and hold its own but it is the whole that makes the layout so good.

I watched a type 2 plod across the layout from a reasonable distance a couple of times and I was taken back to memories of the real thing, snatched glimpses of a distant train rumbling through an industrial area. Not many layouts can provide that realism.

And that's the key to the dilemma. Because the layout's size greatly exceeds the space in anyone's house, it only gets assembled for exhibitions. You've just about got all the rolling stock in place and doors open - you're on! So setting up CVs for an entire fleet of locos, such that they all have comparable speed-curves, braking rates etc, just never gets done. You've all done marvellously with the layout itself, which was the original objective. Don't beat yourselves up about downstream issues like this. 

Being a total ignoramus on things DCC, I wondered why the operators were busy entering codes for the various locos "on the fly" just after doors opening at Stafford, and reading between the lines it seems that the same applied at Doncaster.

I assumed that those hand-held throttles / controllers would have a memory so that re-entry would not be required at subsequent exhibitions, assuming the same loco roster is re-used?

I suppose the answer to that is somewhere in the DCC forum, but life's too short......

• RMweb Premium

Being a total ignoramus on things DCC, I wondered why the operators were busy entering codes for the various locos "on the fly" just after doors opening at Stafford, and reading between the lines it seems that the same applied at Doncaster.

I assumed that those hand-held throttles / controllers would have a memory so that re-entry would not be required at subsequent exhibitions, assuming the same loco roster is re-used?

I suppose the answer to that is somewhere in the DCC forum, but life's too short......

I find it just as easy to type in the number. Of course you can use recall but with a lot of loco's its not necessarily quicker. 

Just my preference, that's all.

• RMweb Premium

I find it just as easy to type in the number. Of course you can use recall but with a lot of loco's its not necessarily quicker. 

Just my preference, that's all.

... there were over a dozen locos and the recall (i think) only remembers about 5 or 6, so S0ds law dictates the one you want has been forgotten.

Look - it's right holistically. It's complete and completes the model.

There is going to be one difficulty, however. Not for the team so much as for others

FOLLOW THAT!

Think 2015

Think Welsh Borders

Think 1930s

Think GWR Steam

Assemble the RMWeb master modellers!

One, Two, you know what to do!

iD

OK, OK, I'll get me coat!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Think 2015

Think Welsh Borders

Think 1930s

Think GWR Steam

iD

The current BRM has an 2mm / N Gauge challenge in it - finishing off a layout that reached boards and track stage before being abandoned. See mag for details and feel free to send in your proposals! 

Think 2015

Think Welsh Borders

Think 1930s

Think GWR Steam

iD

Is this a case of RMWeb master modellers "going global"? (or just European in your case iD)!

I must confess that it upsets me a bit when the backscene gets so much attention when all the real work and time was the rest of the layout and its content; it was only meant to be a seamless suitable backdrop to the effort that had gone into everything else.

Just thought I'd add further thoughts here Andy,

When onlookers pick out only one aspect of a model, 

it's because they see that as something particularly well done or unusual, or both

I'm sure they like other aspects of the layout too - but folk do want to know how something was done,

or just how it looks so good..........

from the comments I received re my Cashmores & Steelworks in the rain layouts....

I'd just as well model puddles and little else! lol

Take it as a compliment in the overall standard sir :)

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is this a case of RMWeb master modellers "going global"? (or just European in your case iD)!

Think 2015

Think Welsh Borders

Think 1930s

Think GWR Steam

Assemble the RMWeb master modellers!One, Two, you know what to do!

iD

Go for it!

You'll love 'the journey'

• RMweb Gold

Think 2015

Think Welsh Borders

Think 1930s

Think GWR Steam

iD

Whilst you're producing a suitable station building for them could you do a second one for me please (albeit somewhat grubbier late 1950s/early '60s condition - well they needn't have closed all the wayside stations in 4mm; 1ft version ;) ).

• RMweb Gold

Andy's only saying that because no-one has spotted his cottages...

Did anyone pick up the piece of paper with the number of times we were asked about the backscene on it?

Had a cracking weekend helping operate BCB, I'd gladly do it again.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, Really pleased that you enjoyed yourself driving dirty blue diesels up and down a semi-derelict landscape, on and off for two whole days!  Thanks for joining the crew at Doncaster and be prepared to roped in again (and again, and again!).

Now, it just so happens that I have found said crumpled square of paper from the tunnel-end fiddle-yard.  It has 37 scribbles on it - all made with Paul's super quality, black & yellow HB pencil (whatever happened to that?).  Did anybody keep the paper from the Pub-end? 

• RMweb Gold

Decent DCC systems can address many locos simultaneously - e.g. my Digitrax system can look at 9983, I think. Each loco remembers its CV setup until it is next re-programmed, so entering the up-to-4 digit address when acquiring a loco is really the only chore. I believe other systems may work differently, including some that actually provide a database of locos, complete with pictures you have entered. DCC can be nearly all things to all men and women, and you choose the system with features that will suit you.