Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

just got back from Doncaster, what a superb model! In terms of absolute modelling excellence and perfect slow running I don't think BCB has an equal anywhere, ever. I won't describe it as the ultimate model railway because that includes issues of era, location etc, and operational interest (don't think i'd want to operate BCB all day) but I really don't think I have seen such a well made, well engineered layout ever before.

Thanks guys. Andy Y sorry, I nearly got to say hello but you were busy running light engines when you should have been running oil trains and dissolving into fits of laughter!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

just got back from Doncaster, what a superb model! In terms of absolute modelling excellence and perfect slow running I don't think BCB has an equal anywhere, ever. I won't describe it as the ultimate model railway because that includes issues of era, location etc, and operational interest (don't think i'd want to operate BCB all day) but I really don't think I have seen such a well made, well engineered layout ever before. Thanks guys. Andy Y sorry, I nearly got to say hello but you were busy running light engines when you should have been running oil trains and dissolving into fits of laughter!

Thanks Colin.

What a shame we missed you !

• RMweb Premium

Seeing those wonderful photos of the canal and railway in model farm reminded me of a day I spent in the Black Country exploring the canal system in the late sixties. I am attaching a selection of the photos taken that day. The weather was awful and these are scans of small prints so I apologise for tghe quality. The locations are those that I noted at the time, I hope they are correct!

Tame Valley Canal

attachicon.gifTame Valley Canal 1.jpg

attachicon.gifTame Valley Canal 2.jpg

Walsall Canal

attachicon.gifWalsall Canal.jpg

Ryders Green Lock Walsall Canal

attachicon.gifRyders Green Locks.jpg

Bradley Lock Bradley Branch

attachicon.gifBradley Locks.jpg

So, I need to add a chimney to the middle of the pub roof, an Atkinson sign on the roof and some curtains.

Kills begs, fantastic pictures, can you be more precise with the date.? Is there more?

• RMweb Gold

Nah! I think that was a Willesden engine, although Monument Lane did have at least one Fairburn for a while.

As it's underlined in my 'Combined' I suspect that it was indeed a London engine at some time.  And despite the lack of muck it still looks a heck of a lot better than those tuppenny ha'penny Derby Type 2 diseasal thingies.   Bring on Black Country Black!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As it's underlined in my 'Combined' I suspect that it was indeed a London engine at some time.  And despite the lack of muck it still looks a heck of a lot better than those tuppenny ha'penny Derby Type 2 diseasal thingies.   Bring on Black Country Black!

Don't worry the 'Blues' refers to the blue brick used on the structures not the blue locos !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi wagonbasher. Assuming my 'photo library' is in chronological order and looking at the leaves on the trees, my best guess would be early autumn 1967.

I have seven more photos, as you will see these are more about industrial dereliction than railways!

John

Walsall Canal

attachicon.gifWalsall Canal 2.jpg

attachicon.gifWalsall Canal 3.jpg

Tame Valley Canal

attachicon.gifTame Valley Canal 3.jpg

Ryders Green Locks

attachicon.gifRyders Green Locks 2.jpg

attachicon.gifRyders Green Locks 3.jpg

Bradley Locks

attachicon.gifBradley Locks 2.jpg

Wednesbury Old Canal

attachicon.gifWednesbury Old Canal.jpg

Thanks for posting those, I'd be happy to see more.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Hi wagonbasher. Assuming my 'photo library' is in chronological order and looking at the leaves on the trees, my best guess would be early autumn 1967.

I have seven more photos, as you will see these are more about industrial dereliction than railways!

John

Walsall Canal

attachicon.gifWalsall Canal 2.jpgfantastic....

attachicon.gifWalsall Canal 3.jpg

Tame Valley Canal

attachicon.gifTame Valley Canal 3.jpg

Ryders Green Locks

attachicon.gifRyders Green Locks 2.jpg

attachicon.gifRyders Green Locks 3.jpg

Bradley Locks

attachicon.gifBradley Locks 2.jpg

Wednesbury Old Canal

attachicon.gifWednesbury Old Canal.jpg

Fantastic. Such pictures are like gold.

Many thanks

Andy

• RMweb Premium

For anyone who cares, BCB is tucked up in bed after two heavy weekends and a mid week minor operation. BCB has spent most of its life sleeping on mates sofas. Two plywood, wheeled transit boxes reduced it's options for a more permenant location but before Peterborough last year indomitable took a saw to them and redesigned the transit system so the boards could be moved individually and then stacked for transit / storage.

Gringo said we should have thought about storing it before we started - if we had, we wouldn't have started.

Andy