Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Just to state that BCB is loaded on a van ready for Stafford tomorrow. 9.00am the layout gets unloaded. After some general assistance to the Stafford club we get to erect the thing and do some maintenance. Since our little group does not have a club room or private residencies capable of housing a full erection (ohh please - in a frankly Howard style) we have to take every opportunity to work on it when all of the boards are in one place.

Please come and say hello if you are at the show

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Just to state that BCB is loaded on a van ready for Stafford tomorrow. 9.00am the layout gets unloaded. After some general assistance to the Stafford club we get to erect the thing and do some maintenance. Since our little group does not have a club room or private residencies capable of housing a full erection (ohh please - in a frankly Howard style) we have to take every opportunity to work on it when all of the boards are in one place.

Please come and say hello if you are at the show

Andy

Hello,

I'll be popping in for a few hours on Saturday with No.1 son in tow. 

I'll bring some Pencarrow stock for a run on BCB.

• RMweb Gold

The cabin gets a try-out at Doncaster today.

attachicon.gifIMG_0807 (640x427).jpg

Photo C E Steele

Twelve months on I caught up with the layout again. I've put the latest picture against the original cabin for comparison.

post-9767-0-27586800-1391287893.jpg

post-9767-0-07250000-1391287925.jpg

Photos Copyright C E Steele

I think it came out quite well considering that all I had to go on was a faded colour slide that the top picture was extracted from and the size of a ridge tile on John's shed roof. The crimson colour is probably a bit too strong but the original was very faded when the picture was taken about 1967, probably only having been painted once since nationalisation. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tony (shipbadger) - Dunstall Road was somewhere I was familiar with, I had one set of grandparents & a great aunt in Lowe St & another great aunt in Austin Street in the early 70s. My grandad worked in Goodyears & I remember being taken to see the Courtalds factory chimneys ('chimblys'!) being demolished. So much changed in the years since..... 

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs, The Birmingham Mail have published a list of the top 50 Birmingham & Black Country words and phrases, here is a link to save you going round the Wrekin to find it:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/lifestyle/50-top-birmingham-black-country-6477059

it's bostin' aye it our kid

ta-ra a bit

I do wonder, Mark, if the person responsible for this actually journeyed into the Black country (or even outside it) to produce such a somewhat bland offering? Don't think they're into the nuances of language or appreciate how widely used some of these phrases are.

I do wonder, Mark, if the person responsible for this actually journeyed into the Black country (or even outside it) to produce such a somewhat bland offering? Don't think they're into the nuances of language or appreciate how widely used some of these phrases are.

Well I didn't see 'tranklements' or 'granching'.

• RMweb Gold

I remember that too, can you recall what year it was?

June 1973 according to the Wikipedia page on Whitmore Reans

Good aerial view of the factory here showing 4 chimneys - I remember the 3 together being demolished on the same day, wonder if the 4th had gone beforehand?

There was a siding into the factory off the old Wombourn(e) line which crossed the Staffs & Worcs canal parallel to Horden Rd (our route to the grandparents) - the bridge is still standing, connecting to the pathway along the old branch. I also remember the engine shed just after the canal bridge, mum recalls seeing the engine but the Wombourne line closed soon after  I came along....

• RMweb Premium

That's more like it - just need to move region a little to the SW...

PS - I feel sorry for those poor folk still waiting to be served chips since Doncaster February 2013.

PPS - nice to see the industrial bridge in photos

I would just like to thank the rest of the BCB team for letting my son spend most of the weekend operating, he was totally worn out last night after his first full exhibition weekend! Don't think he did too bad for an 8yo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would just like to thank the rest of the BCB team for letting my son spend most of the weekend operating, he was totally worn out last night after his first full exhibition weekend! Don't think he did too bad for an 8yo.

He appeared to be doing it rather well (in fact one of the team will be nameless gringos) expressed the opinion that the lad was the best operator present on Saturday).

On a separate matter it is very pleasing to see from the pics above that it has again become Black Country Black, a definite improvement for the future I think (and I did enjoy the brief appearance of Black Country Green on Saturday).

Edited by The Stationmaster