Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

It really is Bri, because of the presentation and lighting it's one of the easiest layouts out there to get a good result from with next to no time needed to 'process' the shots.

You didn't 'shop' out that red screwdriver though...  :O

One thing missing from the photo's in BRM is the Cortina, did it sink without trace in the cut?

SS

It was found down by the cut before Jason the scrappy towed it off.

Detail14.jpg

I'm just off to have a word with the owner after speaking to Swansea.

• Like 11

The one picture that impresses me and is an inspiration is the LH shot at the top of this page overlaid with 'RMweb'. It so reminds me of the section of L&Y that existed between Middleton Junction and Casteton, a pleasant place to simply watch the passing trains. My Avatar was taken on that section.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The one picture that impresses me and is an inspiration is the LH shot at the top of this page overlaid with 'RMweb'. It so reminds me of the section of L&Y that existed between Middleton Junction and Casteton, a pleasant place to simply watch the passing trains. My Avatar was taken on that section.

Every time I see that photo it reminds me I haven't added the missing handrails to the cab front on the green 20, yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking through a box of old prints last night I found this one and immediately thought of BCB. Apologies for the quality but it was taken with a 110 pocket camera during a site visit.

post-9767-0-01383300-1390050158.jpg

Two Class 20 locos at Ryecroft Junction, January 1982. The bridge is the disused North Walsall line from Wolverhampton to Water Orton. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking through a box of old prints last night I found this one and immediately thought of BCB. Apologies for the quality but it was taken with a 110 pocket camera during a site visit.

attachicon.gif110_0002 (800x495).jpg

Two Class 20 locos at Ryecroft Junction, January 1982. The bridge is the disused North Walsall line from Wolverhampton to Water Orton. 

...and if you look carefully, you can just about see what could be a pair of cottages...

The Black Country Museum have today unveiled an "official" Black Country Flag !

s_products1342aB.jpg

http://www.bclm.co.uk/shopsc/black-country-flag/1341.htm

Will the BCB be adopting it as a motif? There are small replicas available in the form of Fridge Magnets and badges etc.  

Given the way the Black Country Museum is going at the moment* I suspect that represents the chain that will soon be permanently attached to the gates. All that misssing is a large padlock...

*plumeting attendance, tramway closed because of chronic maintenance backog, trolley buses stopped through mass exodus of volunteers to EATM due to being fed up of management inaction...

Trolley buses stopped by Museum Management as the consultants they called in to inspect the Electrics refused to do so as they could see some asbestos! Consultants ( Different ) called in to examine the Tram Track have condemned it.. At least that is what I am assured is the position by a senior Committee member of the Transport Group. Certainly it doesn't look good.

Trolley buses stopped by Museum Management as the consultants they called in to inspect the Electrics refused to do so as they could see some asbestos! Consultants ( Different ) called in to examine the Tram Track have condemned it.. At least that is what I am assured is the position by a senior Committee member of the Transport Group. Certainly it doesn't look good.

Thanks Alan,

Puts a slightly different spin on it...

Info I had came from a Santoft crew member. He said BCM were down to just two qualified TB drivers...

Paul

I've just stumbled across this thread and the first few pages, especially the dialect and phrases used in the Aynuk and Ayli made me chuckle. I know its a piss take its funny how accurate it is in a way. I'm not old enough to partake in all of this nostalgia, but as a fairly middle of the road brummie (with hardly any accent) who grew up in S/C I worked in wolves and dudley for 3 years (may not seem long to some of you but thats the bulk of my "career") and a group of my friends who we have dinner parties with regularly are from wolves, tipton and coseley/sedgley etc and this reminds me so much of all of them especially when drunk!!!

P.S no idea on the rest of this mad o'rourkes stuff but the pie factory in tipton is great, even if (to me anyway) it does seem a bit dated and oldy worldy!

Andy

Have to admit that I've also stumbled on this thread this morning.  I spent my student days in Wolverhampton in the early seventies and although I was vaguely aware of it at the time now realise that it was nearing the end of the 'heavy industry days'.  We could still take a jug and a tea towel (to cover it) to the local 'offy' and buy our beer for the evening.  I wonder when that practice died out.  Later we moved to Dunstall Road which at the time was a slum clearance area.  The Junction Inn (canal, not railway junction) had sawdust on the floor, a gas geyser for hot water on the bar and the landlady served you with a cardigan loosely pulled over her undergarments; the beer tasted great however.  As for Banks's dark mild, bought some in my local supermarket the other day, in the Forest of Dean.  Don't think anybody has mentioned the shellfish man who used to go round the pubs.  (As a Surrey boy half a pint of prawns seemed preferably to scratchings)  Being almost as far from the sea as you can get in England I often wondered how they arrived, apparently flown in to Shobden or somewhere like that.  In those days the motorway network probably wasn't good enough.  Nowadays I see lorries from the east coast , Scotland and even at times Scandinavia at my local fish smokery.

Tony Comber

• Like 1