Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

hi mate

Great thread from beginning till here, excellent research looking the real bridges etc. and then making them in model form, bring a black country myself will keep my eye on future advancement's.

Great work

Jamie

Hi guys

Love you work and progress, being from Wolverhampton originally, the cannel system from Wolverhampton to Birmingham New Street as to be with out a doubt the best water way by far along with the industries that follow the cannel an railway lines.

Will follow with interest as I love to see a cannel on any layout, great work keep up with what you are doing. Even if the cannel is based elsewhere it great to see.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys

Love you work and progress, being from Wolverhampton originally, the cannel system from Wolverhampton to Birmingham New Street as to be with out a doubt the best water way by far along with the industries that follow the cannel an railway lines.

Will follow with interest as I love to see a cannel on any layout, great work keep up with what you are doing. Even if the cannel is based elsewhere it great to see.

Jamie

Hi. It's all pretty much finished now, the arrangement of the locks and the bridge that takes the canal under the railway are based on the section at wolves just north of the station where the line and canal pass carvers builders merchants (ex goods yard). The actual gates are based on those at Tipton and Ryder's green the only noticeable difference is the single bottom gates rather than two. You can see some good shots of the layout including several of the canal in the February BRM or come and see the layout and the team at Stafford on the 1st and 2nd of February or at Doncaster festival of modelling a week later.

Andy

Impending storm ?

We use 'black as the hobs' (in case you're puzzled, I don't know either !)

Brian R

The 'hobs' in question are probably a reference to the old cast fireplace/range which had a hotplate or hob on either side of the fire and the whole affair was blackleaded (graphite) to a dark burnished black.  In my gran's house in Princes End Monday was washing day, Tuesday was for ironing (flatirons heated on the 'hobs') and Wednesday was Blackleading and brass polishing day.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

The 'hobs' in question are probably a reference to the old cast fireplace/range which had a hotplate or hob on either side of the fire and the whole affair was blackleaded (graphite) to a dark burnished black.  In my gran's house in Princes End Monday was washing day, Tuesday was for ironing (flatirons heated on the 'hobs') and Wednesday was Blackleading and brass polishing day.

Terry

And what day did she do the front step?

Keith

And if you were "Posh" you would "Stone" the front step (don't remember what type of stone was used to rub it clean). Any accrued dirt would be from the local atmosphere , I don't remember my grandmother's front door ever being open! but the back door was never locked.

My maternal grandfather had a little one-man business White-washing privies. Going to work, he carried, standing on the back platform of the bus, a short step ladder and a galvanised bucket with a cylindrical block of the "lime" about 4" diameter and 10" long to break-up as required and dissolve in water on site. This would be the same stuff used to sanitize cattle trucks. He was still working at 76 when he died in about 1945. 

And what day did she do the front step?

Keith

Hi Keith,

I don't remember her 'doing' the front step. We never used the front door because my Aunt and Uncle used the front room as a bedsit for many years until they were able to afford their own home. Also while the front step was in Coseley, the rest of the house was in Tipton - The Coseley/Tipton border ran down that side of High Street, I didn't believe that story myself until looking at some old 50" to the mile OS maps of the area while researching the Princes End branch (LNWR) and this confirmed the position of the border.

One of the days - I can't remember which - was spent preparing food items such as Faggots etc on the scrubbed top kitchen table for the next week, I can remember being taught to chop herbs such as Sage while the onions were boiling, I also remember the net like membrane used to wrap each of the individual faggots unlike today's tasteless meatballs which pass as faggots - perhaps someone knows what that membrane was called I seem to recall her referring it as caul or something similar, I believe it was the same stuff that is used to encase Haggis.

Saturday was for shopping for the communal family Sunday Lunch, we had no fridges in those days so the meat and veg would be as fresh as possible - we would have had fresh veg and perhaps a chicken from the garden but that was before Grandad developed Alzheimers and there was no time for the women of the family to tend to a garden..

Terry

Edited by ElTesha

Hi Guys,

Guess what, while writing my last post I mentioned faggots - the foodstuff.  However when I added the singular it was hashed out like this - ###### and yes I did write the actual word.  It must be because of the American use of the word as a derogatory adjective for ######?

It even hashes out the official word to describe one who prefers to have a relationship with another of the same gender - begins with H has s.e.x in the middle and ends in ual.

Does anyone else have this?  Is this P.C. gone mad or is it my own PC doing the filtering?

Edited by ElTesha

The seeming frequent appearance of censorship (#####) is likely due to this forum's dictionary being USA based, witness the red underlining of words where a "Z" is preferred to "S" .

Caul for wrapping faggots was, I believe,obtained from the pig's intestines, but which part I don't know. My 1962 Pocket OED has a different definition which if I had read an hour earlier would have put me off my tea! 

• RMweb Premium

The seeming frequent appearance of censorship (#####) is likely due to this forum's dictionary being USA based, witness the red underlining of words where a "Z" is preferred to "S" .

Surely it can be customised with a UK dictionary?( most software can be)

It's not unusual to get correspondence from people who have not changed the preferences in their office program to EN - UK!

(Notice I used "program" in this context!!)

Keith

must be a joy to photo .

Beian

It really is Bri, because of the presentation and lighting it's one of the easiest layouts out there to get a good result from with next to no time needed to 'process' the shots.