Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

This just gets better, can't wait for the weekend to see this. Glad to see that extra road under there  :good:

Strange that, I'd quite like a few more weekends between now and the show.

The extra road is just part of the new mid 1970's road building programme to hit the Black Country. I understand there's a motorway planned too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Strange that, I'd quite like a few more weekends between now and the show.

The extra road is just part of the new mid 1970's road building programme to hit the Black Country. I understand there's a motorway planned too.

We'll need another board for that

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You getting saw dust withdrawal symptoms Mr Ross?

Not from today, another 4 sets of legs built.

In fact might need a whiskey to clear me throat

p.s. all lighting units wired and tested as well...

p.p.s. found a box with some buildings in

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The layout looks smashing, but may I just point out that some of us were visiting Rock, and aware of the real Doom Bar (not the beer) when some of you were just a twinkle, as they say!

Drat!

Across the water from Padstow. Love the area.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not from today, another 4 sets of legs built.

In fact might need a whiskey to clear me throat

p.s. all lighting units wired and tested as well...

p.p.s. found a box with some buildings in

Now, that box, remember where you stash it as you'll need it later in the year... Mind you, the Midland Rly Centre isn't too far from Newark is it??

• RMweb Gold

Across the water from Padstow. Love the area.

Isn't that the fashionable place with Londoners for having their second homes there.Bloody grockles as my old man would say !

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that the fashionable place with Londoners for having their second homes there.Bloody grockles as my old man would say !

Must agree that the jet-set have changed it for the worse. Prices gone stupid and too much of the original area's character erased. 

Edit: Mind you, I'd happily move down to that neck of the woods, which makes me just as bad.

• Like 1

Beautiful scenic work Chris, very nicely done indeed! However I must say that I was surprised to see it so green! It's probably because I grew up on the industrial side of Swansea, & one of our favourite 'playgrounds' was Swansea Vale, which was basically the dumping ground for a hundred or so years of mining & copper smelting - it was like the surface of another planet, & I don't remember much greenery there at all, just multi coloured (mainly black though!) slag tips & some very suspiciously coloured pools of what might have had some water in....!! Over the past 3 decades or so the council have done some excellent work in clearing up & rejuvenating the area, but there are still patches where the ground is black & nothing grows on it.. My impression of the Black Country was probably coloured (sorry!) by those memories so I expected it to be a bit bleaker...!!

keith

• Like 1

Again, thanks for all the positive comments,

What a beauty, Arthur - and that's from a steam fan!

Thanks for all the effort that you've put into the locomotive and the BCB project.

Thanks John, I've enjoyed being involved and helping out.

And having Jason King on the footplate.  That brings back memories too.  I had a mate who used to look like that!

Jason King? I thought it was Englebert Humperdink!

Yes, a look long overdue for a return I feel, I might start rolling my shirt cuffs back over my jacket sleeves......

I read that as 'hauling slag ladies out of the casting bay' - wondered if there was a casting couch in there...!! Sorry.... :pardon:

Back to reality - fantastic little shunter Arthur, the weathering really brings an already superb model to life!

Keith

Thanks Keith, no casting couch but there is a bit of hot stuff in there....

• Like 1

The mineralisation of the dumps in Swansea and the mineralisation of the dumps in the Black Country are very different. Swansea was the world copper smelting capital for a considerable time whereas the black country was iron. Copper is poisonous to plants, iron isn't so much.

• Like 3