Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

I intend to start a thread on my personal project soon. At the moment I am building the final baseboard arrangement after two abortive trial runs which didn't work as a railway should. The paper prints are currently pinned to the tops to get the last shapes to what I want.

It will be midlands based, again perverting history as with BCB. My slant involves rewriting the map of the Birmingham area using various abortive schemes such as the London, Worcester & South Staffordshire Railway, which would have become part of the LNWR, the connection between the Oxford & Birmingham and Grand Junction at Proof House, the Shrewsbury & Birmingham running powers over the Stour Valley and proposals for a link from the West Suburban line into the Black Country via Halesowen.

There are two levels. The bottom is a roundy to amuse the grandsons, having a 12' scenic section finishing part-way along a station with an overhead ticket office. It also lets me run main line passenger and lumbering freights with the Super D. The upper level will be a branch with a passenger platform and goods branch set-up like Stourbridge Town to let me indulge in shunting. There will also be some industrial connection, and hopefully if I can get it to work in the space available an incline to connect the two systems but not entirely in a straightforward manner as the time frame will be early an 1960s state of flux.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I see an update of this thread is long over due!

Last weekend, adjustments were made to the embankment to accomodate the retaining wall for the signal box, seen towards the top left of this photo:

post-6677-0-89050700-1359618707.jpg

Last night, details such as finials, guttering and the stove pipe were added to the box and it was then treated to good clean up followed by a fresh coat of grey primer:

post-6677-0-80610100-1359618836.jpg

post-6677-0-22725200-1359618817.jpg

post-6677-0-32877000-1359618860.jpg

Having sorted out the height of the base and retaining wall in relation to rail height last weekend, I now need to trim approx 1.5mm off the top of the base to lower the operating floor slightly.  I've also noted on looking at the photos tht the landing isn't quite square so this will be adjusted (toilet isn't fixed in position; it will be after painting and glazing).

Then it's just paint, and a few more detail parts......

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Squareness in a timber box on an embankment was an optional extra !

As long as the frame wasn't twisted and the box was not moving too far out then it was left so don't get too hung up about everything being true.

• Like 8

Even brick built 'boxes could display spectacular ability to wander about the railway on their own.  Droitwich, in the vee of a junction on an embankment springs to mind.

• Like 1

I've been making up some billet loads from Evergreen 1.5mm x 1.5mm styrene.  

They're 8 billets across by 3 high, and like Marks, they're hollow. Only the top and sides are full lengths, the ' inside' ends are just short lengths, and they're not glued along all the length, just at three points, so that it doesn't look like a single block.  Humbrol Polished Steel Metalcote, given just a light polish, finished them off.

post-6861-0-60488000-1359665866_thumb.jpg

post-6861-0-45993700-1359665895_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Very nice representation of 4.5" square billets, Arthur. Ready for re-heating and processing into (most likely?) forgings for the car industry. You have "caught" the look of the cropped ends beautifully! 

And bed springs for Slumberland...

Duport's works was at the bottom of our street, and on quiet nights, you'd hear the 'clang' as billets came off the 'mill and were cropped. Those look pretty much as I remember them, though I think they used some sort of colour coding to identify the different batches.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I was involved in taking delivery of such billets, and I had forgotten the colour coding on the ends of billets and bar stock. The colours indicated the specification of the material rather than the batch. There  were always paper certificates to show batch identification, specification and the chemical composition of the supply. The last of these often checked by the receiving company's laboratory, and (pre-computers!), diligently recorded in vast files, which in my experience rarely got consulted except in the cases of warranty or insurance claims following a component failure. 

• Like 2

STATUS UPDATE

Following a BCB team discussion, it was decided to obtain either laser cut or etched windows for the Tennants Building. Given that it makes sense to utlise every square mm of the materials sheet, and given that there is enough space, the Oldbury Road building will also benefit from laser cut/etched windows (and I admit I'm relieved as I was not happy with my efforts [pics to follow]).

This means that the Oldbury Road Building is partly on hold, until the arrival of the windows. However, in the interim I will

• rebuild the office (complete with piles of paper and a John Player Special cigarette packet)
  • finish the chimney stacks (I have to drill out and paint the chimney pots)
  • finish weathering the doors and install them

There will also be a lot do on the Tennants building...

Oldbury Road pics this weekend! Promise!

iD

• Like 1

STATUS UPDATE

I've heard from Mark and laser cut/etched windows will be created for the Tennants Building, which will certainly increase the quality of the final model. Whilst awaiting the windows I will be finishing the painting of the brickwork, lintels, "stone" entrance and watergoods (the latter in that rather fetching "Dirty Budgie" yellow of the original). I will also resize the 1st floor emergency exit door and make a start on the fire escape etch.

Pretty pictures by end of the weekend...

Now, further questions to the BCB team;

Firstly, would an open plan "typing pool" interior be a suitable interior for part of the Tennants Building?;

Secondly, there is now a blank wall behind the building (it was decided to do away with the loading dock) - I am proposing to build a small chain-link fence enclosure for that area, an enclosure that will contain large cylinders of medical/industrial gasses (remember, I pointed out that I know of a number of industrial buildings, in the UK, that used to be combined offices and labs), is this agreeable.

Do let me know

iD

• RMweb Premium

First of all there was a good amount of filling of holes and gaps to do...

post-6675-0-92961600-1359750418_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-54489400-1359750458_thumb.jpg

And the cutting of a road under the viaducts...got to have somewhere else for all those vehicles!

post-6675-0-22977400-1359750537_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-56478400-1359750565_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-65442700-1359750593_thumb.jpg

And then the wingwalls and end pillars for the industrial viaduct were made...

post-6675-0-86157300-1359750709_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-88572800-1359750732_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Now, the interface between the two viaducts...a bit tricky as the industrial line embankment ran through one of the wingwalls of Andy's old viaduct. In the end I decided that the old wingwall would have been retained, so as not to effect the stability of the mainline, and earth piled between the new viaduct's wingwall and the original wingwall / embankment...

post-6675-0-35868400-1359751185_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-09579100-1359751209_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-27925600-1359751233_thumb.jpg

A slight hint of the old wingwall will be seen (sorry Andy).

• Like 13