Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Wowzer.  Now that's starting to look really impressive.  I'm starting to wonder what the team is going to do for an encore!  The project is now really getting to that snowball stage where everything's coming together quickly and I can't wait to see the buildings/canal going on.  Brilliant stuff.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

1800hrs and Damian has just played a fleeting visit to Chez Spam's to drop off the two remaining boards that have no basic greenery. The bedroom has been converted back to a train room, the dust sheets and back down, the Ikea trestles up and two boards are waiting to be attacked with cack and poop. 

The guys have obviously been very busy over the weekend as the boards look very different to last time I saw them. Well done all.

Pete / Ian / Stu, you'll be pleased to know I took the massive step of humanely putting down my old trusty grey-checked, padded modelling shirt at the weekend. After 16+ years of great service and countless layouts it has developed holes on the holes. A new one has been pressed into service and will get its first smearings of glue tonight. This one is blue checked...

• Like 5

The body has now had the striping applied, and boy, does it stand out!!

Referring to photographs, I worked out where the stripes would go, and marked them onto a copy of the original kit drawing. I estimated that the stripes needed to be 3.4mm wide and I cut these from a sheet of plain black decal with a scalpel.  I matched key features on the model to those in the drawings and photographs and, whilst keeping them parallel, started to apply the decal stripes.

I did the application in four separate sessions, it requires concentration, patience and it is easier to add extra bits to stripes already in place.  A lot of what I did was by eye, so long as it looked right I was happy.

Here's some of the striping applied, over length and only water used so far, so that they can be gently moved around and removed completely if necessary.

post-6861-0-27306600-1359311153_thumb.jpg

Once in place I carefully dabbed away any excess water with a tissue and let them dry.  Next I applied a decal setting solution, Solvaset. This is quite aggressive, once on, it needs to be left well alone, the decals become soft and will readily tear and slip out of position.  They will start to wrinkle, however, as they dry, they tighten up, and cling to all the curves, corners and details. Once you've applied Solvaset, there's no going pack.  It not only settles the decals down but adheres them firmly to the body and they cannot be lifted again. On completion, there were a few small gaps between bits of the decal stripes which were touched in with gloss black paint.  There is still a little touching up to do, especially where the decal strip has settled down over the bulkier details, like the hinges.

post-6861-0-28247500-1359311216_thumb.jpg

Perfect?, no, but I think it’s coming along well enough.

post-6861-0-46709100-1359311101_thumb.jpg

The logo, number and cab side lettering, I did on my computer, using Word, and printed it onto Crafty Computer Paper clear decal sheet.  It’s a layout used on various BSC locomotives, modified to suit the rather narrow cab side sheet on this prototype. You’re going to get excess carrier film so I cut out a panel, containing the text, the size of the lower cab side sheet, so that the edge of the carrier film is lost in the corners and edges of the cab side.  Again Solvaset was applied, it’s not fully settled down in the photos, you may detect some wrinkling, but it will.

The next couple of days should see the painting and decal application finished and the final details, handrails, buffers etc. ,fitted.

The last lap is in sight!

TBC

• Like 17

Pete, We are using a similar system to Diesels in the Dutchy. Daylight energy saving bulbs fixed to the fascia supports, as in the photo below.

attachicon.gifIMG_2438.JPG

There is a very weird "Escher-Like" perspective thing going on with this photo!

If you look at the horizontal line (where the sockets are) it looks like it goes straight across the layout yet the vertical support on the right looks further along the layout. What gives?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

There is a very weird "Escher-Like" perspective thing going on with this photo!

If you look at the horizontal line (where the sockets are) it looks like it goes straight across the layout yet the vertical support on the right looks further along the layout. What gives?

Best, Pete.

Pete, could it be something to do with the fact that the rear corner of the layout is a 12" radius (ish) curve?

• RMweb Premium

There is a young lady wearing 70's flares in the Subutteo football fans figure set, the figure is seated. If you are interested I can send you one or two unpainted examples.

I am as much intrested that there is even such a thing as the subutteo fan set.

Are they HO ?  (I know for one model person it wouldn't matter (we are all different shapes and sizes).

Are they all seated.  When I get back to my own personal layout, I have plans for a load of Birminghmam city supporters (1950's) to be crossing a bridge to the St Andrews ground)

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am as much intrested that there is even such a thing as the subutteo fan set.

Are they HO ?  (I know for one model person it wouldn't matter (we are all different shapes and sizes).

Are they all seated.  When I get back to my own personal layout, I have plans for a load of Birminghmam city supporters (1950's) to be crossing a bridge to the St Andrews ground)

Andy

They are OO scale, all are seated and were available in a box of 50 unpainted. I have also seen them painted in smaller quantities. The down side is that there is only 5 basic figures, the one female and four males and with one (male) exception they have one or both arms raised in the air (the lady in question has one arm raised). I purchased them with the idea of using them as passengers. The accessory range includes quite a few different items including cricket ground maintainance staff and press photographers and TV crew/cameras but they mostly have thick bases. There is even old men sitting in deckchairs (cue the old Morcambe and Wise joke).  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

Dangerous place to be is that towpath, they've all been shot in the same place, must be a hooligan with an airgun about.

Mike.

• Like 1