Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

That's Larssen, box section, sheet steel piling, adjacent edges have an interlocking section rolled into them, so they slide together to form a continuous 'wall'. They are driven vertically into the ground, to provide support for earthworks.

It's the kind of stuff frequently seen driven into canal and river banks to provide support, the kind of stuff Andy is casting I guess.

attachicon.gifLarssen Steel Piling.jpg

attachicon.gifLarssen Steel Piling 2.jpg

Cargo Fleet held the UK manufacturing rights for many years, and did a good trade in it.

I am sure this traffic was tripped to Bescot on the afternoon 8T31 to go forward next morning to Rom River at Lichfield on 8T34 0630 Bescot Down Local-Lichfield TV.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikeh
  • Like 2

Thanks for the tip off Paul, wasn't aware of these.  Looks like they (Unit Models) are at Stafford Exhibition so I think I'll get a few ready for when the Plates I'm doing are ready :good:

I was pleased to see the prototype photo. I have a couple of 7mm versions for the Parkside Plate and thought they looked a bit overloaded, but they were very like that photo. I also gave them the dimensions of the Peco 7mm Pig Iron wagon and they have added a suitable load to their range. Their products are a lot nicer to those made elsewhere whom use plaster for making load models.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Last night involved a 110 mile trip from work to Geoff's, to John's, to home. Boards moved and I got this one:post-6675-0-50376000-1359071273_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-22887000-1359071329_thumb.jpg

After three hours work with polystyrene, filler, bandage and fluff it now looks like this:

post-6675-0-58482600-1359071430_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Took about 30 mins to remove wooden stakes, cut away the excess masking tape and apply protective cling film to the tunnel and track.

90 mins to fill all the holes and craters with polystyrene, shape and apply filler and scrim.

I then had only 30 mins left before the ASBO kicked in to do some fluff and green.

The only bit I'm not happy with is where the industrial line cuts past the tunnel wingwall. The arrangement doesn't look right. I think a retaining wall may be required or the top corner knocking off the wingwall. Something needs to alter as, to my eyes, it looks contrived at the moment. Thoughts?

post-6675-0-26744300-1359098305_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-90325000-1359098387_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah.
I think the valley side would need to be getting steeper at the point where the industrial bridge crosses the main, but in a skewed line of contours, enabling the industrial line to skirt the base of this rise. So as the main enters the tunnel the land is quite high above ( hence the need for the tunnel and not a cutting), but the industrial line is in a one sided cutting as it follows the contour.

If that makes sense...!

Edit : Something like this (the red lines indicate the cutting sides ):

post-7025-0-16082600-1359104269.gif

Edited by Stubby47

I can certainly recommend the Alan Gibson etches for Braithwaite panels. I'm sure anyone with Blackrat's skills would make a great job of it. The tank section of mine is complete, though not cleaned up or detailed yet, then I've got the stand to build too:

post-10140-0-58390300-1359103629_thumb.jpg

There is a sheet of brass for the base, and brass strip for the walkways around the top. This will be covered with thin sheets of planking, then handrails added.

Very much enjoying the work in all of the BCB threads - thanks to everyone for the accounts, photos and inspiration.

Iain

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, if the contours dropped so dramatically to that side then the main line would have been routed that way rather than cut a tunnel through the hill, so my thought would be a rough cutting. But yes, I agree with you Chris, it does look a bit odd.

It depends mainly (says he, from the depths of ignorance on base-board construction), on what is proposed for the disguise of the hole in the sky / fiddle yard exit.

The terrain looks to be the sort of scrub-ground that seemed to appear between the hives of industry in the BC, and there could conceivably have been a farm / small holding in the area justifying an accommodation bridge. Access slopes to such bridges were often very steep,.

Agree that it doesn't quite look right.

post-3744-0-67034300-1359182238.png

Looking at the edited picture above, the black line would be the contour,

so possibly make the ground higher behind the portal?

Adding a wing wall of the same style would fit in.

If the tunnel was there first, then the tunnel wing would be the shape it is,

and the cutting for the industrial line would be the shape it is.

Else, how easy to reverse the curve of the tunnel portal?

Edited by Shadow