Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

There has always been a tendency for billboard companies (with the agreement of the client) to crop the ad to fit the site.  (This has now been extended to digitally stretching or squashing them but not in BCB days).

The point being, as long as you get the essentials in, don't get too hung up on the fit.

• Like 2

Maybe not curtains but perhaps vertical blinds, all the rage in the early '70's (remember room 966 South Eric?).

Also on that picture is a 30 foot high Concrete Utilities Avenue 3D with Arc 2 bracket and a mercury lantern.

Edited by 28XX
  • Like 1

Casting on a couch might make the couch a bit sticky Wally! Andy does these casting in his garage, but no reason at all why you couldn't do them in the kitchen I would imagine. I'm sure he will elaborate... (I see a whole new thread starting!)

• RMweb Gold

Maybe not curtains but perhaps vertical blinds, all the rage in the early '70's (remember room 966 South Eric?).

Also on that picture is a 30 foot high Concrete Utilities Avenue 3D with Arc 2 bracket and a mercury lantern.

Hi Steve,

Just looked again at the high res scan and it is definitely a net curtain. Don't think vertical blinds had spread to the Black Country by that time.

Eric

• Like 1

Casting on a couch might make the couch a bit sticky Wally! Andy does these casting in his garage, but no reason at all why you couldn't do them in the kitchen I would imagine. I'm sure he will elaborate... (I see a whole new thread starting!)

A new thread?... Yes please, although I think there was one a while ago... Phil Traxon maybe?  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. I think as long as I get 'matched' sets of adverts, so the boards will be the same sizes, then it won't look too bad.

I've been trying to upload a picture of the main frame & sub frame components, but am having trouble with the broadband connection at work, so will post later. Suffice to say they are all complete ( 3 pairs of legs, 3 sub frames ) just need painting & fixing pins adding, then they can be posted. I have a few posters ready for mounting, so am making the boards to suit. These will have a small bead around the edge, which will be painted black before the poster is added.

• Like 1

Andy, I showed No.1 daughter the photos of your Joey and she decided she could do better....

Oh please, oh please, oh please,  do take BCB to Doncaster with your daughter's refinements... and sit back and watch some of the more interesting sub-populations of the modelling fraternity implode/explode/turn red.....

• Like 3

Trafalgar Sidings will be blessed to have such a characteristically typical steelworks shunting loco.

Mikeh and myself are ogling your work Arthur !!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Chris, do you want these supplied in 'kit' form ? That way you can adjust the height of each to match the road/wall height. I can add location aids to help fix the legs to the sub frames.

For a list of West Midlands breweries see print pages 43/8/9 of http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/brewing-industry/bhs-brewing-ind-shier.pdf

English Heritage are coming up with a load of stuff of use, it seems. You've got to dig to find it but is'a pretty good summary.

Edited by Coombe Barton

Thanks Phil, glad that you are both enjoying it!!

....such a characteristically typical steelworks shunting loco.

Yes, that, and the fact they were probably the most numerous steelworks diesel in the Black Country, determined the choice of locomotive to offer.

The Paint Shop;

The locomotive body was scrubbed with a cream cleaner and an old tooth brush, rinsed thoroughly, and then placed into an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes (bought cheaply from Aldi a while back, plenty big enough for a loco of this size).

After drying overnight, the first paint on was a thin coat of grey primer (Tamiya Fine Surface Primer) from an aerosol.

It was then dragged out into the yard for its works photo.....

post-6861-0-61770300-1358794146_thumb.jpg

The buffers were just temporary fits for the photo. A second thin coat of white primer, again Tamiya, followed. This is essential as the yellow topcoat is somewhat translucent and a white undercoat enables a thinner coat of yellow to cover adequately. Also available in white;

post-6861-0-06529000-1358794286_thumb.jpg

So far, so good, but nothing ever goes quite to plan. One thing I was not too happy with was the rainstrips on the roof. They were, as the instructions suggest, made up of narrow strips of spare etch. Nothing wrong with that, but I’d placed them just too far over. When I started to apply some of the finishing paint it was very apparent. The model had lost that characteristic rounded edge to the roof/side transition, it just didn't look right. Could I live with it........Dammit!, No!!

So......, a bit of paint scraped back, strips de soldered, new ones from brass wire soldered on, clean up, and a start on making good the paintwork. It's looking a lot better.

Progress now slows a little as paint needs a day, at least, to dry but I hope to be applying the finish later this week.

TBC

• Like 15