Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

I think that the relay cabinets (location cabinets) were made by the signalling contractors such as Westinghouse, Tyers and SGE.  I suppose they could have subbed out to Millwards, but I bet someone knows.  Eric??

M&L in Plymouth used to do a lot of location cabinets, IIRC.

There were lorries with HIAB-style cranes in the late 1970s, but the cranes were pretty basic things, with tubular arms and manual slewing; Harrison-Meyer of Meir had them on the Boxer/Mastiffs used to deliver glaze.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, they've been posted.

Next job is the billboards....

Thankyou !!! to everyone who has contributed, liked or even read this thread and the WC thread ( and the short one for the brass fire escape ) - your encouragement, support, suggestions and toilet references have been invaluable.

Last but not least, thanks to the BCB team for inviting me to join in; it's been a real pleasure and I'm really, really looking forward to meeting the team and seeing the layout at Doncaster.

Stu

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Mixed day today...

Layout moved on scenically again - concentrated on the industrial landscape around that will be at the front of the layout. 

But I've run out of hairspray, managed to burn a finger with very hot, hot -glue and worn the skin off another finger.

Just remember D(ecimal) Day was 15th February 1972. Though ads carried decimal prices prior to that, though very rarely prices in both types of coinage. 

No it wasn't - 15th February 1971 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_Day

Remember is because the price of a pint of beer in the uni bar went from half a crown (12.5p) to 12p.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words chaps!!

The bonnet sides fit over a couple of formers which are soldered to the baseplate, and one to the cab front. Which then takes us to...The flutes! No clever tricks I’m afraid.

Here they are,

post-6861-0-74879400-1358626065_thumb.jpg

I’ve pencilled a diagonal across the etch to mark the transition from flat to where the curve commences. The second line is the centre line of the curve and I placed a round steel bar along that and started to ease the curve into the brass.

post-6861-0-65858500-1358626128_thumb.jpg

It’s just roll, check, roll a bit more, re-check, shape, re-check until you get it right. There needs to be a straight line from bonnet top corner, along the flute top and continuing along the bonnet side top. Once I was satisfied they were soldered in firmly. Here's the completed bonnet 'skeleton'.

post-6861-0-51170900-1358626029_thumb.jpg

A deep fillet of solder needs to be run into the inside of the joint between the flute and the radiator front. This is to enable a curve to be filed onto the outer corner.

The doors, all separate etchings, are easily located by pushing wire through their door handle holes and through matching holes in the bonnet sides, very neat. They can be soldered from the inside keeping the outside solder free.

post-6861-0-31441200-1358626192_thumb.jpg

The bonnet side doors have small etchings to make up, or bulk out, the hinges. They are tiny, some particularly so....

post-6861-0-70660000-1358626249_thumb.jpg

One more build post and we'll be getting out the paint....

TBC

• Like 5

It went Down in price ??? I thought everything went up.

Bus fares in Plymouth at the time were collected through coin boxes (the drivers did not handle cash) based on a unit of three old pence, on changeover the machines were altered to work on a single new penny. This is the equivalent of 2.4 old pence, many things were priced similarly but people tend to forget these facts!

Wally

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind words chaps!!

The bonnet sides fit over a couple of formers which are soldered to the baseplate, and one to the cab front. Which then takes us to...The flutes! No clever tricks I’m afraid.

Here they are,

attachicon.gifDE2 Build 009.JPG

I’ve pencilled a diagonal across the etch to mark the transition from flat to where the curve commences. The second line is the centre line of the curve and I placed a round steel bar along that and started to ease the curve into the brass.

attachicon.gifDE2 Build 010.JPG

It’s just roll, check, roll a bit more, re-check, shape, re-check until you get it right. There needs to be a straight line from bonnet top corner, along the flute top and continuing along the bonnet side top. Once I was satisfied they were soldered in firmly. Here's the completed bonnet 'skeleton'.

attachicon.gifDE2 Build 012.JPG

A deep fillet of solder needs to be run into the inside of the joint between the flute and the radiator front. This is to enable a curve to be filed onto the outer corner.

The doors, all separate etchings, are easily located by pushing wire through their door handle holes and through matching holes in the bonnet sides, very neat. They can be soldered from the inside keeping the outside solder free.

attachicon.gifDE2 Build 013.JPG

The bonnet side doors have small etchings to make up, or bulk out, the hinges. They are tiny, some particularly so....

attachicon.gifDE2 Build 017.JPG

One more build post and we'll be getting out the paint....

TBC

Good grief man, if I had scenic bits that small they would be well and truly lost on the workbench (door).

• RMweb Premium

Cup of coffee, bottle of beer, glass of wine, jars of solvents....... bit stressful was it :-)!!

Not all mine... some belonged to the kids. 

No, actually, they are all purely medicinal. Having found no sympathy on here for my modelling injuries I tuned to drink! Much better now. Thankfully what I do doesn't involve power tools or soldering irons.

• Like 2