Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Great find that man!

Indeed... A snapshot of the building in use is always very helpful. And does one of the windows (left upper) actually have curtains or is it a trick of the light? I presume that the building will be modelled "in use"

If the building IS in use, does this mean that the bricked-in ground floor windows [photo 5 onwards in the first post above] would not be bricked in at the time of active use in the mid-70s?

Now, a question to the BCB bods, what sort of software (preferably freeware) could I use to turn the 3/4 views into straight on views (I vaguely recall that by using various perspective manipulation tools you can do this). I need a flat "full-on" view (even if a composite of various pictures) in order to create the plastic cutting plans.

Finally, any thoughts on various building dimensions of the Rowland Priest Works would be of great help

Cheers

iD

.... Just need lots of suitable posters now...

Try the websites of various on-line memorabilia dealers. They often have good images of various posters (advertising, railway, etc) which can be downloaded and re-sized to the correct size for 4mm. Sometimes the image is watermarked, but in 4mm the watermark is often not visible or nnoticeable.

F

• Like 1

Backtracking very slightly to the earlier part of this thread, there is a photo of a Guy artic tractor and trailer in Dudley Freightliner depot loaded with a Freightliner container. Yellow cab with BR arrows on the cab doors, which IIRC were red not black ?

• RMweb Gold

Try the websites of various on-line memorabilia dealers. They often have good images of various posters (advertising, railway, etc) which can be downloaded and re-sized to the correct size for 4mm. Sometimes the image is watermarked, but in 4mm the watermark is often not visible or nnoticeable.

F

Is this wise? I mean, for your or my layout, no-one would ever know or care - but the ultimate "client" here is commercial, and there might be a different view?

• RMweb Gold

From my photo, the upstairs windows were replaced probably early 70s by wooden ones. The LH one has a net curtain, RH looks to have a pot plant.

Downstairs the windows are original Black Country iron small pane style. The door looks to be open, and has a loading gantry above it I think.

Is this wise? I mean, for your or my layout, no-one would ever know or care - but the ultimate "client" here is commercial, and there might be a different view?

I'm unsure where the problem would be. After so many years, I don't think that it would be a copyright issue, especially for the advertising of (by now) obsolete goods.

The memorabilia people are selling the full size originals, so I see no effect on their business by reproducing one of their on-line catlogue photos in 4mm. However, as it costs money to make a decent photo of a poster for a catalogue, I see watermarking as a way for the company paying for a good poster photograph for their catalogue to stop competitors (who would be selling the same poster [given that posters were printed in the hundreds, if not thousands]) using the poster photo for the competitor's catalogue.

Any thoughts?

The remote pub in a field where they served the beer in Jugs???

That's the place, it hasn't changed in over 30 years to my knowledge, still the same landlady and her daughter, and still beer in jugs in the winter!

• RMweb Premium

You are more likely to see an ad for a rival brewer, or so it seemed to appear back then. I do remember a Whitbreads pub that had a hoarding that was practically in the car park advertising Ind Coope beers! It may be that brewers targeted hoardings near to their rivals pubs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil. It's just one bogie A1A style. As it stands I'm a little concerned about its ability to pull the skin off a rice pudding! Some on layout testing and extra weight is required.

Might need steam assistance...

We have around a foot of the white stuff in the Staffs Moorlands and have achieved the objective of not even opening the front door today, let alone going through it!

Oh...enjoying the modelling progress too!

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

Arthur - you have provided us with s very clear "how to" with some handy images too. Thanks very much.

Thoroughly enjoying this Arthur, looking forward to seeing the finished result on the layout.

Thanks both, pleased that the descriptions and images are proving interesting.

Nice to to see the description of building the DE2 - and thanks for all the compliments.

Judith and Michael Edge

It's an excellent kit Michael, thanks.

Arthur

• Like 1