Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Don't forget that the front drape finishes behind the 6 inch square upright (pillar) at each end of the 6.6 metre scenic section.  As quoted earlier it hangs behind the front lip of the baseboards.

On the fiddles, the drape will hang along the front of the (2.7 metre long) baseboard, then turn across the end (forget exact measurement here!).

Mmmm, So there will be a little gap between the back of the pillar and the front of the fiddleyard.

Two options, Add more length to front drape, or better -

Add 18 inches ( 500mm) to the fiddleyard drapes. 

We can probably pin it to the back of the pillar upright, to fill the gap and then run it along the fiddleyard as planned. 

Then we can adjust the bit of woodwork to suit at a later date.

Lifebouy? no chance! not with the rascals that I grew up with! more likely to be found floating by the nearest lock gates. But an empty post and hanger (and little roof?) would be OK, adorned with a sign about it not being a play-thing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

From first hand research undertaken on many canal holidays, I can reassure our readers that there are many, many pubs right next to canals. Oh, and there are some very interesting / downright dangerous access routes to get to and from them too! As I said, extensive first hand experience....

If there are no toilets, there's no point in selling beer.

Unless, of course, that's why the pub is so close to the canal...

With the polluted state of the canals, no one would notice the additional liquid input! Might even be an improvement.

• RMweb Gold

Now then folks,

There have been lots of great suggestions & examples of billboard posters, but what I need are useable images (copyright & royalty free ) that can actually be used.

Please can you seek out and let us know what and where these may be ?

Even though there are only 3 boards, as I said I want to supply several alternatives.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Stu, 

I've just planted Flavio's Oldbury Rd building and am moving on to your industrial complex....

Sizes and levels...

Early on in the thread you posted this picture:

post-6675-0-53005400-1358336739.jpg

Could you do an 'as-built' sketch showing the actual lengths of each feature and include spot heights of the ground level at those points?

A running measure starting at 0mm on the LHS working up to 415mm on the RHS would be great. I'd particularly like to know the position and ground level at doors and gates. 

I think you originally said the Millwards and Warners bits would be separate units. Is this still the case or have they now been joined?

Nothing to worry about - just working out what height differences I have to make up at either end of the plot!

In the mean time, whilst Flavio's plot is setting, I'm in the mood for some green stuff!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oih 'Bacon Washer', pub builder man.

Can the Pub be an Ansells pub?

Early dayz down the "Fez", the beer to avoid and all that lot?

I seem to remember the weekend we traveled half way around the country to find a pint of Ansells Mild...and then regretted it!

• RMweb Premium

I spend most of yesterday afternoon working on the 1/2 canal lock near the pub and the wife and kids couldn't see what I'd done. So today I thought it was time for more noticeable tasks. Hopefully these will be noted!

Last week(?) Flavio sent me his cardboard mock-ups of his two buildings and this has enabled me to plan the scenics to a reliable degree along the front row of industrial buildings. His Tennents building has had its socket prepared and now it's the turn of the Oldbury Road one.

Here's a few shots of the socket going in (there's some trimming of the front fascia still to do but I'll leave that until the glue dries..

The boards.

post-6675-0-85968200-1358338176_thumb.jpg

The site.

post-6675-0-10586200-1358338193_thumb.jpg

Cutting out the top of the socket out of board helps stop the interfaces breaking up when the building is placed and removed.

post-6675-0-92466500-1358338158_thumb.jpg

Checking how it will look - pre-socket digging.

post-6675-0-62034200-1358338215_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-44860600-1358338133_thumb.jpg

Cutting the socket.

post-6675-0-64460000-1358338101_thumb.jpg

The mock building sunk into its socket, nice.

post-6675-0-84996200-1358338117_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-76769100-1358338083_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-66261000-1358338066_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-00952000-1358338051_thumb.jpg

(Just noticed in the last photo the building is leaning towards the canal a little. The door threshold will be at ground level when this is adjusted.)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Yep, no problems Chris, will do it tonight. The two units are still two units, you might need to add a little filler between the two when you install them, but I'll supply some yard clutter to add in as you see fit, which will help.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

Open question to the floor. 

If the space in front of and to the RHS of this building is to be the building's yard...what surface treatment do folk think would be suitable. 

Tarmac - too posh?

Concrete - too modern?

Ash - too rough?

Cobbles - too lumpy?

Let me know your thoughts. thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Have been down to KMRC today to purchase some lengths of plastic strip, in various sizes, with which to make the billboards & frames.

If the domestic authorities don't have any pressing jobs lined up this evening, I should be able to made a decent start...

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff Stu.

Would be great having them as my local shop!

A thought on the hoardings. As they are next to a highway / railway structure I'm thinking that the relevant wall owner would not wish these hoardings to be physically attached to their structure and would also probably want them set back sufficiently to enable them to inspect and repair the structure. 

What do others think??